Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sam the Newbie with a LS460 SE-L

S1MNN

Hi Guys,

I wanted to introduce myself, I am Sam from Coventry and an owner of a recently acquired dark blue 2007 LS460 SE-L with an alabaster leather interior. I first spotted the car advertised a lot cheaper than others which of course, piqued my interest! advertised at somewhat of a bargain price and definately sold as seen I knew this could be a potential dog. I had a look at the MOT history which seemed quite good with no major faults or failures and then decided to look into the Lexus dealer service history. The car had been serviced regularly with Lexus until the end of 2016 however had since really piled on the miles without any available history to date and a current mileage of 124K miles. Despite this grey recent history I thought I would take a punt! So, the car body work was good with all panel gaps even and everything lined up. I could see that the passenger side front wing was dull with a lot of fine scratches looking as though it may have seen some paint in the recent past but everything lined up well and evenley. The alloy wheels were heavily corroded (common on Lexus I am told?) but the tyres were recent and of a good brand. Next the interior which was in good shape all apart from the driver's seat but still acceptable condition. Everything inside the car was in working order with the only item needing replacement being a scratched Sat Nav DVD. Next was the drive and the car did not miss a beat. Smooth and quick without any harshness/knocks with suspension or with the drive. The audible wind noise I believe is from the trim located just ahead of the wing mirrors which I will be removing and attempting to fix. The other thing I noticed was a clicking noise when feathering the brake pedal and a scoring noise at low speed when the windows were down. I realised worst case scenario it would be the brake actuator on the way out and had to have a think. The condition, drive and cost of the car meant for an acceptable risk to take - I hope that will be true further down the line! So, I became the proud new owner of a LS, a car I had coveted for so many years. The first things I have done (and currently being done) is a full 60K service (Spark plug service Inc) and waterpump with Lincoln based firm Toyotek. They have been changing the Diff, gearbox and brake fluids too as well as pollen filter and A/C gas for me too. They have come across one bodge job issue which was a pipe going to the radiator had been glued in place?! They have decided that a new radiator (£318+VAT) and pipe are needed and I have agreed as that is not something I would want to take any risks on blowing! They also advised that the brake disc have a slight lip and the brake pads are in good order. So, for the moment (he says,lol) things aren't too bad..

I have owned Bmws and Mercedes previously and wish I could say the same about them! Thanks for taking the time to read my introduction and I will keep you updated with any highs and lows of being a LS owner!

Sam

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-21 at 13.05.17.jpeg

Hi Sam, that's a great story and I hope that the LS turns out to be everything you hoped it would be.

Well done taking the plunge, with these larger vehicles they seem to be very well built so I'd like to think that you haven't taken on a big risk.

I do like your model, it looks very clean.  Do you have any pic's of the interior?

From your profile I see that you are based in Warwickshire and I'm keen to know why you chose Toyotek over her in Lincoln?  

Let us know how the garage work pans out.

Good luck, Lee

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farqui said:

Hi Sam, that's a great story and I hope that the LS turns out to be everything you hoped it would be.

Well done taking the plunge, with these larger vehicles they seem to be very well built so I'd like to think that you haven't taken on a big risk.

I do like your model, it looks very clean.  Do you have any pic's of the interior?

From your profile I see that you are based in Warwickshire and I'm keen to know why you chose Toyotek over her in Lincoln?  

Let us know how the garage work pans out.

Good luck, Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the kind words and good wishes. I may just need them! Here are some pictures of the new and old radiator sent by Toyotek and a couple of interior pics. I chose Toyotek by recommendation. I'm hopefully getting the car back early next week. 

IMG-20190821-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20190727-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20190821-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190821-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20190821-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20190815-WA0006.jpeg

IMG-20190727-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20190727-WA0010.jpeg

IMG-20190727-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20190727-WA0016.jpeg

• Like 1

Checkout those toys! Very nice.

Hehe, it almost looks like your radiator took a liking to bubble gum!

Will be interested to hear what you think of Toyotek as they're not far from me.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Farqui said:

Checkout those toys! Very nice.

Hehe, it almost looks like your radiator took a liking to bubble gum!

Will be interested to hear what you think of Toyotek as they're not far from me.

Yes, the radiator came to a sticky end!

The toys are great but the kids are hogging them. I do love the stereo it's the best I've heard in a car 😀

• Like 1

So after the scorching Bank Holiday weekend I was able to head back up to Lincoln In Toyotek's Toyota Yaris with my wife and kids to collect the Lexus. They kindly allowed me to collect in the evening and by the time we arrived it was just after 6 PM. It almost felt like I had never owned the car as it had spent more time in Lincoln than it did with me in Coventry! I was, of course excited and relieved to have her back. I had a great chat with the guys about the car and discussed their thoughts on the condition of the car. They were pleased with the car and did not see any issues with it. My initial worry about the brakes / possible ABS Actuator problem quickly dissipated as they were all in great order. Driving home I could feel the difference the new brake fluid had made. It was much nicer. Their Full+60 service for the LS includes things like the Spark plugs and the Brake fluid so given the car's recent grey background it was one to go for. The cost for the service is £705 inc VAT and they use a Lexus Service Kit with OEM parts. The other work done included a new Water Pump, Auto Gearbox oil change,Diff oil change, Air con service and recharge, Pollen filter, Windscreen wipers and replace the damaged Radiator with a new Lexus Rad. So all in all a good outcome considering the Radiator issue and with a final invoice for £1670.80 inc VAT. The team are all very kind with Lexus/Toyota backgrounds and are enthusiastic when they discuss the cars. One owns a GS450h (and he spoke about it being disposed of by the dealer as they could not solve an issue with it) which he repaired using £20 of parts. So all in all a great first experience with Toyotek. Although after hours they did not rush me and my family, spent time discussing every point and detail and made sure we left with ice cold water bottles for our journey back to the West Midlands. Needless to say I look forward to my next trip up to Lincoln next year!

Ls460 toyotek invoice 2019.jpg

Ls460 Service book 2019.jpg