Recommended Posts

Hi

I am looking for a used RX450H with a budget of between £14k - £15k. 

Can anyone give me any tips on what to look for and if I need to stay away from any particular models? Any questions to ask the dealers? 

Also, are the 100k + mileage worth getting if its in good condition and a good price? 

Sorry for asking the obvious as I am a first time Lexus buyer. 

Thanks

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I too have spent the last couple of months looking for a RX450 at about £15k - - the 'red lines' for me were that it had to have a full Lexus service history, bodywork in good condition, wheels unscuffed and interior clean.

 

I didn't think that would be a problem until I started looking, and it's amazing how many fell outside those parameters

Few Lexus dealerships sell cars of that value (though some do - and they are worth looking out)

Whilst I guess you may already do this - I also checked out the Gov.uk MOT website   to look at the mot history of the cars I was considering (which gives an impression of how well they may have been maintained (and even more useful with older cars) and I always use the Parkers Price Guide   to get a reasonable indication of the pricing ration between year/mileage. It cost me a tenner - but has saved me a great deal of time (and cash))

Though it may well be of no surpise at all - - nearly all of the Lexus dealerships work at the upper end of the pricing (as do some of the independents tbh), but there are reasonable examples out there at reasonable / fair prices.

I was certainly not concerned at high mileage cars (proving FLSH of course) - for the reputation of Lexus reliability and quality precedes it, but I was careful to check for bodywork damage and wheel condition. (Though if sold by a Lexus Dealership these should be good - apart from one I saw - which is still for sale on a Lexus forecourt with two areas of damage and rust that the salesperson "didn't know about"!)

Enjoy your search Ben, (I have) - and I've learnt a great deal about the marque and the RX450 models - -

My search has come to an end - I think - and subject to a proper check-over/test drive etc etc, I too will joing the ranks of Lexus owners in the next few days.....

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Illogan said:

I too have spent the last couple of months looking for a RX450 at about £15k - - the 'red lines' for me were that it had to have a full Lexus service history, bodywork in good condition, wheels unscuffed and interior clean.

 

I didn't think that would be a problem until I started looking, and it's amazing how many fell outside those parameters

Few Lexus dealerships sell cars of that value (though some do - and they are worth looking out)

Whilst I guess you may already do this - I also checked out the Gov.uk MOT website   to look at the mot history of the cars I was considering (which gives an impression of how well they may have been maintained (and even more useful with older cars) and I always use the Parkers Price Guide   to get a reasonable indication of the pricing ration between year/mileage. It cost me a tenner - but has saved me a great deal of time (and cash))

Though it may well be of no surpise at all - - nearly all of the Lexus dealerships work at the upper end of the pricing (as do some of the independents tbh), but there are reasonable examples out there at reasonable / fair prices.

I was certainly not concerned at high mileage cars (proving FLSH of course) - for the reputation of Lexus reliability and quality precedes it, but I was careful to check for bodywork damage and wheel condition. (Though if sold by a Lexus Dealership these should be good - apart from one I saw - which is still for sale on a Lexus forecourt with two areas of damage and rust that the salesperson "didn't know about"!)

Enjoy your search Ben, (I have) - and I've learnt a great deal about the marque and the RX450 models - -

My search has come to an end - I think - and subject to a proper check-over/test drive etc etc, I too will joing the ranks of Lexus owners in the next few days.....

 

Thank you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PCM said:

 

Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no real need to get hung up about service history, or at least not about having a full Lexus history.

I used to do all my own servicing and most jobs on the car when I was physically able to, but I couldn't put a stamp in the book. What I could, and did do, was to keep all the receipts for parts and mark the mileage on the receipt so that it tallied with MOT history etc.

Also, Lexus servicing is not cheap so when a car gets to a certain age (maybe 9 or 10 years old) there's absolutely no point in spending extortionate amounts at a main dealers. As I've said in many postings, it may be a Lexus but it's still just 'a car' and any reputable, trusted, garage will be able to service it.

There may also be people who have a close family member in the trade. For instance, if you have a brother who's a good mechanic and he says, "You buy the parts and I'll do the service in exchange for you looking after the kids this Saturday night", you're not going to turn him down in order to spend a few hundred quid at Lexus are you?

And finally there's people like me who buy a car and run it for years and years until it dies, so resale value and stamps in the book mean nothing.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Herbie said:

There's no real need to get hung up about service history, or at least not about having a full Lexus history.

I used to do all my own servicing and most jobs on the car when I was physically able to, but I couldn't put a stamp in the book. What I could, and did do, was to keep all the receipts for parts and mark the mileage on the receipt so that it tallied with MOT history etc.

Also, Lexus servicing is not cheap so when a car gets to a certain age (maybe 9 or 10 years old) there's absolutely no point in spending extortionate amounts at a main dealers. As I've said in many postings, it may be a Lexus but it's still just 'a car' and any reputable, trusted, garage will be able to service it.

There may also be people who have a close family member in the trade. For instance, if you have a brother who's a good mechanic and he says, "You buy the parts and I'll do the service in exchange for you looking after the kids this Saturday night", you're not going to turn him down in order to spend a few hundred quid at Lexus are you?

And finally there's people like me who buy a car and run it for years and years until it dies, so resale value and stamps in the book mean nothing.

When I was a young lad , I had a hero who was worldy wise like you seem to be Herbs.

His name was Wilson (of the Wizard comic fame ) and he lived on his own in a caravan on the North Yorkshire moors And every x years or so, he would reincarnate to become someone else, who was even more wise.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

When I was a young lad , I had a hero who was worldy wise like you seem to be Herbs.

His name was Wilson (of the Wizard comic fame ) and he lived on his own in a caravan on the North Yorkshire moors And every x years or so, he would reincarnate to become someone else, who was even more wise.

http://theamazingwilson.com/ 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Piers.

 I will be a long time in going to sleep tonight !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Piers.

 I will be a long time in going to sleep tonight !

Insomnia strikes at all ages!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't assume a Lexus approved used car is going to mean you don't have to give it a proper lookover. I had to exchange the first RX I bought as there were things I wasn't happy about and they wouldn't fix it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Don't assume a Lexus approved used car is going to mean you don't have to give it a proper lookover. I had to exchange the first RX I bought as there were things I wasn't happy about and they wouldn't fix it.

I totally agree. For some inexplicable reason Lexus Dealers don't seem to prepare cars to the standard that they are meant to under The Lexus Approved Scheme. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

I totally agree. For some inexplicable reason Lexus Dealers don't seem to prepare cars to the standard that they are meant to under The Lexus Approved Scheme. 

So, why not inform Lexus UK of each breach of the so called Nation-wide Agreement Les and name the offending Dealer to them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just traded my RX400 (2007) for a 2015 RX450fs from Lexus Reading.  It cost 23k and I got 3 and a half for the old one.   Not many for 15k with low mileage I found.  Never had a problem with anything (literally) on the old one in 8 years, its why I'm going for another.  It comes with a years warranty that I can extend so no worries.  Always has Lexus do the servicing and would always look for that.  I was looking for hassle free motoring so went for main dealer with full service history but these Lexus seem bulletproof though so I'm sure you could get cheaper examples elsewhere

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 11:40 AM, PCM said:

 

I found a local dealer selling a 2010 for £15k with only 63K mileage. 

Outside and inside is in great condition and the only sign of wear was the Ivory leather seats which was showing cracks on the side. 

Can these leather cracks be improved or repaired? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

So, why not inform Lexus UK of each breach of the so called Nation-wide Agreement Les and name the offending Dealer to them?

They are aware of this having been involved with the remedial work on my current vehicle including refurbishment of my wheels and repainting of the tailgate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cracks to leather seats is no issue you can have them sorted cheaply by any good upholsterer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kopper said:

I found a local dealer selling a 2010 for £15k with only 63K mileage. 

Outside and inside is in great condition and the only sign of wear was the Ivory leather seats which was showing cracks on the side. 

Can these leather cracks be improved or repaired? 

Just be sure to check that the car has had the spark plugs changed at 60000 miles or the age related time. That service at Lexus is £745

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Just be sure to check that the car has had the spark plugs changed at 60000 miles or the age related time. That service at Lexus is £745

Or with 'Gold Member' discount from here, just short of £570

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had my 80,000 mile service(75,000) on my RX450H and got a nice 15% discount as usual using the Gold Member card,they also noticed on the health check that the two trailing arms were starting to wear.Because I have the extended warranty they said they would try and get it done under warranty and luckily Lexus agreed so it was dropped back yesterday after the work was done and they picked up the loaner they had given me.

So good service as usual from Lexus Coventry.

The UX they loaned me I’ve had before and although it’s better than the CT I certainly wouldn’t have one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Just be sure to check that the car has had the spark plugs changed at 60000 miles or the age related time. That service at Lexus is £745 

I thought replacing of spark plugs is the standard for any car service? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

B

9 minutes ago, Kopper said:

I thought replacing of spark plugs is the standard for any car service? 

They are only changed every 60000 miles and a lot of components have to be removed from the engine to change the rear three plugs, hence the cost of the service. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Herbie said:

Or with 'Gold Member' discount from here, just short of £570

£633 is the qoute after 15% discount applied. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

£633 is the qoute after 15% discount applied. 

I cannot fault your maths, Les - - but I'd want Herbie to handle my tax returns!  😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

£633 is the qoute after 15% discount applied. 

 

1 hour ago, Illogan said:

I cannot fault your maths, Les - - but I'd want Herbie to handle my tax returns!  😉

This is the actual quote I got from Lexus Teeside and it's 'live' now, in other words I went ahead and signed the paperwork.

Don't take any notice of the mileages shown as they made a mistake - it's currently up to 47,874 miles:


398906032_serviceplan1.thumb.PNG.1a2d5fe2c82825fe267d686f7dc20990.PNG


Maybe they made a mistake or maybe they gave me some other discount, I don't know, but that's the price I got it for (payments being taken monthly).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Club Hybrid Poll

  • 287 Hybrid Reliability

    1. 1. If you were to consider buying a Hybrid model over 5 years old, would you be worried about the reliability of the Hybrid system?


      • Not really as Hybrid systems are always reliable
      • Not if it had a Manufacturers Warranty on the Hybrid system
      • I would not buy a Hybrid model over 5 years old