Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi,

I recently got a 2008 IS250 and straight away I noticed the intake temp would get rather warm when in traffic. After changing the the air filter and cleaning the MAF/Intake Temp sensor temperatures reduced by around 10 degrees in traffic but it still regularly get to 40. I noticed there is a blanking plate on the upper front grill that almost completely blocks all air flow (see pic). Has anyone removed this and had decent reductions in temperature? I can only guess this is there to assist warm up in the winter. 

Thanks,

blanked_grill.jpg

Removed the backing from my old IS (see picture) and updated the grille. Have removed it from my current one also as it does improve the airflow. Cant say i have noticed any issue with heat...cant say due to the removal of the backing either that i have noticed any more debris entering the engine bay (i thought i would but not noticed)

Not removed for any performance related issue - just wanted the grille to match the lower one so never re-fitted the cover back with the new grille.

IMAG1426.thumb.jpg.60dfbe0047bd517cfd450608166ee34a.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I wasn't willing to part with £70/80 for the F style grill, although it does look really good, so I went ahead and removed the blanking plate. It has definitely help reduce those intake temps a fair bit. Also cools things down quicker after I break free from traffic and wasn't to hard to do. It was just held onto the grill with some kind of rubber/plastic adhesive. Most of which I pried off with a plastic trim tool. A couple of bits were more stubborn so I hit it with a heat gun first.

Now I have all that extra fresh air coming through I will see if I can mount my oil catch can behind the upper grill.

Sticks  

IMG_20190831_150733.jpg

IMG_20190831_144543.jpg

IMG_20190831_144533.jpg

IMG_20190831_144527.jpg

IMG_20190831_144516.jpg

• 3 years later...

@mrvlad this is the same  grill as mine but @sticks has managed to remove the centre piece but leave the chrome surround ??

how ?? His not been active since 2021 

Hi John. I've just noticed this thread. I'd look on YouTube. Look for Marty Motoring. He did a f-sport grill upgrade a couple years back on an is250 he had. Very informative video. I'd use that as a guide as I can't see removal being much different to your car.