Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat nav problem after service

Gediredi

My ES had its 10 k service the other day.. all fine no problems and great service from Lexus Stockport (I did have a whinge about them on here but credit where credit is due they were excellent).

On driving home I noticed the road sign symbols on the dash had changed. Where previous on 60 mph A roads it said 60 it now showed the national sped limit sign.. and on motorways instead of 70 it showed the blue and white motorway symbol. Strange I thought.. then I noticed the sat nav was completely out! As in I was on the M56 near Manchester but the sat nav was showing I was driving at 70 straight through some houses in Cradley Heath Birmingham!

I got home and restarted the car.. still the same. Left it overnight and tried it again.. still the same.

I didn't get chance to call today I will call tomorrow but I guess they have done an update and it buggered up the sat nav.

Anyone else experienced this?

I've not experienced this directly but I have found that the speed limit information displayed is quite often inaccurate. On the estate I live on (30 mph roads) it tells me either 20 or 30 and sometimes 5 (depending I think on whether the camera picks up the 5 mph limit at the local convenience store).  It's also a bit hit and miss on smart (sic) motorways, where sometimes overhead speed limit changes are picked up and sometimes they aren't. I also find the more general road sign recognition isn't that great - at my work location we have a 15 mph and 20 mph speed limits (consistently picked up), a no overtaking sign (consistently picked up) and a stop sign (almost consistently not picked up). Has anyone else had similar experiences?

13 minutes ago, Gediredi said:

The doctor.. generally speaking I agree it does seem to miss some signs every now and again.

Isn`t the driver still responsible for observing road signs.....not the instruments ?

Technological developments in motor vehicles appears to be an inadequate and unfortunate substitution for personal responsibility.

Just my view !

55 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Isn`t the driver still responsible for observing road signs.....not the instruments ?

Technological developments in motor vehicles appears to be an inadequate and unfortunate substitution for personal responsibility.

Just my view !

I would agree Roy. I don't rely on it and don't expect to. The Doctor might have a different opinion though.

• Like 1

Update..  the damn car seems to delight in making me look foolish! I just went out for a few minutes and the Sat nav is fine all of a sudden! This is despite it being wrong for at least 2 days and during an 85 mile journey and being left overnight and started earlier today... I'll keep my head down for a bit lol.

Oh by the way did anyone find out how to make the sat nav actually default to the 3d setting? I've changed it in the menu but seems to have to change it every time manually.

44 minutes ago, Gediredi said:

I would agree Roy. I don't rely on it and don't expect to. The Doctor might have a different opinion though.

Same opinion, looking out the window is still the best for observing road signs!

• Like 2

I had the same a while back. Car was 2 months old and had me about 2 miles from my location.  When it was in for the dash / sunroof rattle they fixed the sat nav with an update.

Speed limit thingy is based on whatever the car has seen before plus what it sees as you drive along.  It "knows" some roads are 120kph and has to read others. Occasionally it reads the bus lane (60) and ignores the car lane (80), other times it is smarter..

It's a great feature most of the time, but I take it on the basis that it remembers what I have seen rather than saves me from looking.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links