Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Management Light Flashing/On

Hi All, If the car (an automatic IS200 2003 that has done 150,000+miles) has been parked you get in and drive for miles and have no problem, then when you stop for two to thirty minutes and get in and drive you get the flashing light and the car is lumpy. The diagnostic tells you that Cylinder 1 has a misfire. So far the Spark plugs have been changed, the petrol pump has been changed, the ignition pack has been changed. It is definite that the stopping of the car for a short period is the trigger. Any thoughts?

From now one I am replacing nothing, I will get things swapped to see if the fault moves to other cylinders.

Good Luck Brian with getting this sorted. Can't offer any real insight but as you say component swapping is probably the best way of finding the fault. 

Have you owned the car for very long?

Owned the car for 9 years.

Today went 5 miles nice and smooth. Stopped for 10 minutes. When restarted the car was lumpy and the EMS light flashing all the way back home.

So if the car is started from a long rest no problem, fault will not occur during the continued journey.

If the car is started after a short break the problem occurs and will not cure itself during the journey.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your help. It was solved once the fuel injector on cylinder 1 replaced. The mechanic still cannot understand why the fault only occurred after a journey was paused and restarted. I am just happy it is solved.