Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So the story so far is I exchanged my 2004 LS430 for a 2004 LS430 a couple of months ago. One owner, low miles, full Lexus SH.

Today I gave it a wash and wax, which is how you find all the little imperfections you need to know about. One thing struck me. It came up shiny enough to look at - pics will follow - but the paint did not feel slick. if a blind man had run his hand over it he would have concluded it was a matte finish. I don't remember this with my previous car. Anyone any thoughts? Colour is Aleutian Grey, aka Flint Mica aka Carbon Quartz.

Jon

Very nice!  I would take Mark's advice and give it the clay treatment, I did mine just a few ago, the first time I've ever done it.  Now, even when I wash it, the difference in the feel is amazing, the sponge just slides over it.  I finished it off with a dual action polisher.  The smooth feel even impressed my neighbour who is constantly cleaning his car!  It takes time though, probably 3 hours for an LS.

• Like 1

I have got, but not yet tried a  Clay Mitt, just need to get some detailer spray for when I next do the car.  Not sure if quicker than using a bar.

To date have been using T-Cut, which I know cuts a mirco layer of the paint, but I only do it about once every 18 months, and mainly need to do T-cutting as a result of local blind people leaving their own car paint on the LS.

1 hour ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I have got, but not yet tried a  Clay Mitt, just need to get some detailer spray for when I next do the car.  Not sure if quicker than using a bar.

You can use normal car shampoo as a lubricant with that mitt. Just use whatever soapy water is left in your wash bucket. 👍

I agree a clay bar is amazing at what it brings off. Tiny 'full stops' of grit embedded in the paint disappear and the paint has a glass like quality, BUT it is then very bare. A coat of polish, followed by a coat of wax is the treatment.

Not tried a clay mitt but suspect it might be a half-way house.

A Bilt Hamber Auto clay Bar is the best. Wins loads of awards. I got 4 cars out of one bar. Old fashioned but works amazingly. Cut it into 4, and soften it in hot water until you have a shape like a beer mat. Then go to work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bilt-Hamber-Auto-Clay-Regular/dp/B002OHSGHQ/ref=asc_df_B002OHSGHQ/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310744208542&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18399904227040088730&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044889&hvtargid=pla-422424328218&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

• Like 3

What would be my best bet for dealing with a cloudy bonnet on my 2004? It's not bad yet, but definitely getting worse. Rest of paintwork is good except for rust patches on passenger door.

17 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

What would be my best bet for dealing with a cloudy bonnet on my 2004? It's not bad yet, but definitely getting worse. Rest of paintwork is good except for rust patches on passenger door.

DA polisher I would think.

19 hours ago, The-Acre said:

DA polisher I would think.

Thanks, I've never used one before as I'm more of a driver than a polisher. I'll find some youtube vids and see what needs to be done.