Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Are You Sitting Down She Said....

Just thought I would post this, mostly due to how ludicrous I think it is.. 

Had a brake judder from the car, it had to go into Lexus Norwich today for servicing so asked them to look. I knew it was probably discs even though I dont know why as I'm not a heavy braker at all. Anyway Tony (Excellent Tech) looked at it and said that only 1 front disc was warped (how does that happen anyway) and the pads were fine.

Not sure what discs they use (Gold plated probably) but for 2 discs with my LOC discount, the lowest she could get to was £513 just for the discs!!! OMFG! I looked before it went in and you can get grooved, ventilated EBC brakes and green stuff pads for £260 ish.. What on earth is going on.

I've obviously said not and am looking at getting them done outside of Lexus but is this the same experience fro everyone else? Do warped discs just happen? and is this the normal price from LExus for such things..

A bit in shock I have to say.

Wayne

Just hang on a minute. 

Is your GS a Premier or an F-Sport? If so then it uses a larger 2-piece front disc that EBC etc do NOT offer. Someone else on here even fitted the smaller discs on the car... 

The 2-piece discs are very expensive, and we've not currently found a cheaper source for them, although @Shahpor got an amazing deal from his dealer  (£350ish discs and pads fitted). 

• Like 2

Premier and F-sport use the same front disc. The EBCs are 334mm single-piece discs, but your car is fitted with 356mm 2-piece. As said, I know of no third party options currently. 

I had a few quotes from Lexus Norwich, and declined warranty stuff, went elsewhere or DIY everytime, have always been very high, too high! But the bigger discs explains most of it.

One warping, either faulty goods or a stuck caliper or bad brake force distribution... I'd be looking into both calipers to find out

Ok,

The plot thickens.. I've been assured that these are the right discs by the mechanic but 2x Discs at a cost of £150 for the pair, brembo pads for £66 and total fitted price of £296.. Seems to cheap for me but I guess i'll find out next week..

I thought I had read on here that warped discs were unusual. Is the disc sitting true on the hub?

And/or as Robert said look at other possible causes especially as you are not a heavy breaker. Are pads moving freely in the calipers?

John

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, claytow said:

but is this the same experience fro everyone else?

Of course it is. Your car has now reached an age where it makes no sense at all to go to the main dealers for any work or even for parts like brakes etc. The only time you'll need to go there is for some Lexus-specific part that can't be bought anywhere else (which may be the case for these two-part brake discs).

There are plenty of excellent garages and mechanics out there who can work on your car to a very high standard. Don't forget that it's a Lexus but it's still 'a car', not some other-worldly thing that's unknown to anyone who doesn't come from the Planet Lex.

1 hour ago, claytow said:

Ok,

The plot thickens.. I've been assured that these are the right discs by the mechanic but 2x Discs at a cost of £150 for the pair, Brembo pads for £66 and total fitted price of £296.. Seems to cheap for me but I guess i'll find out next week..

I wish you luck. 

If they are indeed correct then please post up the part numbers so that others can use them. 

Wayne, I have exact issue and posted prices on Shahpor thread, just today I got prices from Lexus garages in Scotland and they as follows:

Front discs - £371.79

Front pads - £86.44

Rear Discs - £153.36

2 weeks ago I changed my rear pads at the £50 price, I did the job myself! Prices above include 10% discount.

Looks like it is a common issue, I am thinking if to buy them or try what @i-s suggested in Shahpor thread, 5 times braking to warm the discs and then another 5 times braking to get rid of the uneven material on discs.

Still trying to get cheaper price for the parts!

Can the discs be scimmed? 

I have been told that the front discs are different from Premier to F-Sport, I think it is just a visual thing though!

Hi chaps,

As mentioned in my other thread here, I am still amazed by the price I got mine for and am not sure what happened.  It will interesting to see what the result will be when I need another set...

I too don't use my brakes especially hard but still experienced the same 'juddering' you are describing.  Perhaps a good pounding of the brakes is what is required?

Also, as @i-s has mentioned, we are not currently aware of any aftermarket alternatives, so I would also be interested if someone was to source a set.

1 hour ago, rawdata said:

Just got mine changed, it was 80€ for the front pads and 300€ for the front discs. 

I am not 100% sure, yours being 300h should have smaller front discs and I would expect them to be cheaper, the prices above are very similar to the ones that were quoted on my 450h with big brakes!

2 hours ago, Vlady said:

I am not 100% sure, yours being 300h should have smaller front discs and I would expect them to be cheaper, the prices above are very similar to the ones that were quoted on my 450h with big brakes!

Correct. Rawdata's car is the smaller disc. 

There's no argument that there are alternatives and sensibly priced parts for the 334mm disc. However, it's the larger 356mm that is the expensive and only available from the dealer part. 

For gs fitments:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://media.toyota.co.uk/wp-content/files_mf/1484733564170112MGSTechSpec.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiHuf-E8bLkAhUFLewKHaK1DwUQFjAJegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw33YJO_bKYaEe2HHApOIMbv&cshid=1567453085016

• Thanks 1

just wondering if you might get them for a more sensible price imported from Amayama in Japan 

I know my ancient stuff, all original Lexus / Toyota parts, imported and after all carriage, duty, vat and fees works out about 50% of UK Lexus / Toyota prices

Just a thought  :whistling:

Malc

• Like 1

Thanks @i-s for the info above, based on that the thickness of the front discs for 450h is 30mm, well, I measured mine and they both above 29mm, so how in hell can they be warpped or damaged or bended or whatever?! I think I shall take that matter to Lexus and insist for them to investigate it, does anyone think it will work or worth trying? 

Before you go any further I would take the time to confirm that the disks are actually warped with a dial gauge/similar.  A gauge can be found cheap on the bay of fleas/similar.

Ensure the disk/hub faces are completely clean and provide a true mounting.

Do you stay on the foot brake for a long time e.g. whilst sitting at junctions?  Some friction material can stick to the disk, especially after a long, repeated or hard stop.

I occasionally find that my brakes pulse and it can be cleared by some hard braking to clean off friction material that's built up from sitting on the brakes in/around town.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Farqui said:

Vlad, didn't you also mentioned that the pulsing went away briefly after working on the brakes...which suggests to me that the disks themselves are not warped.

Yes, it is as not as bad as it was which suggest that discs are not the issue but they still need to be checked. Phoned Lexus Glasgow and asked how they would check if the issue with the discs and they suggested as you above - using the gauge, so I am waiting for a phone call back from them with the price. I explained that I am not spending almost £500 on parts without making sure that I need these parts!

I also cleaned all the mating faces when I removed the discs so do not expect any ingress there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farqui said:

Vlad, didn't you also mentioned that the pulsing went away briefly after working on the brakes...which suggests to me that the disks themselves are not warped.

Lee I got it booked in this Friday for checking, the price to check it (if the wheels are warped) at Lexus is £66.

To change the front discs and pads the quote is £135 plus parts.

Ok,

Thanks everyone for your responses. The day came today and although the supplier was adamant that he had the right discs they turned out to be the 334mm rather than the 356, so I thank you all for your responses as I would have never known but its back to Lexus to get them done by the looks of it.

Lets hope one day this changes. I'm preparing the wallet now..

Wayne

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you were disappointed. The search continues. I think it will come because it appears that these brakes are also being used on the RC300h F-Sport now. 

In terms of the UK though it only represents a few hundred cars (GS450h Premier and F-sport + RC300h F-sport) equipped with these brakes, so a UK company like EBC is not going to bother with the rather high tooling cost of a 2-piece disc to supply the small fraction of owners that would come to them rather than Lexus. 

• Like 1