Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Calls From Tele Sales People

mudzs

We have been getting calls from double glazing,gas, electric companys over the last couple of weeks at all times of the day and night ,some of which just put the phone down when you have answered it .i found this company that can stop them phoning you and thought i would post it in case anyony else gets the same problem

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

they also can do your address to stop unwanted mail etc

Since December last year, when the Data Protection Act changed, it's now illegal for a UK-based company to call you unless you specifically asked them to.

Tell them that you will shop them to Oftel and the DPR if they call you again.

Since December last year, when the Data Protection Act changed, it's now illegal for a UK-based company to call you unless you specifically asked them to.

is that for business addresses and phone nos. as well as private

Don't expect the calls/mail to stop immediately as it takes a while for the offending companies to update their "suppression" files (i.e. suppressed from marketing contact).

The other option of course is to be ex-directory...

Are you sure they are putting the phone down on you?

Some companies when they call, utilise a system where their phone system rings you, you pick up, but then hear nothing on the other end - this is because it's waiting for an available analyst/person to take the call and then give you the usual schpiel.

I thought it was a system to see if anyone answers the phone.. if they do randomly call numbers then this would a great if the numbers actually exsisted and a person actually answer them.

Like email spamming dead emails are no good.. but live ones are.

So by answering the phone you confirm that this is a live number.. these are then sold on to companies!

is that for business addresses and phone nos. as well as private

The DPA applies to business as well as private

i was told that the company in question rings 30 to 40 people all at once on a computer system and then only talks to the first person to answer and then another operator takes the next one to answer ,but if you answer and there is no operater to take call it hangs up

I get quite a lot of these calls but they show up on caller ID as interantional so i guess thats there way around the "calling from within the UK" thing!.The callers accents seem to be south african and asian.I was thinking of getting BT's Choose to Refuse and just blocking them.