Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How long do your tyres last

I had 4 brand new Michelin PS4S fitted at the end of January, dropped the car off at Lexus Coventry for a service today to be told that my rear tyres are nearly due to be changed, I would guess I have covered approx 8k max in that time, what are you guys getting?

Hi mate. I've only just changed my fronts since I bought it. 30k on those and they werent brand new when I bought it so no doubt they will do more than 30k. Changed the rears last year and got about 20k on those, they were brand new on when I bought it. Running the stock Potenzas all round. 

Either mine last longer or you drive harder 😎 I'm going with the latter 😁

• Like 1

Buy a tyre tread gauge and decide for yourself, legal limit is 1.6mm, at 1.6mm water is still dispersed and the tyres are still effective, and legal. maindealers will tell you they need changing anything from 5mm and below, which isn't good for the environment and is an absolute waste if you're changing them above 2mm tread, i guess they are just following the book. I read somewhere online a while back the CEO of Michellin agrees its wastful changing tyres with good tread on.

I got advised at the last lexus service 12 months ago to change the rear tyres at 4mm, they even quoted a price to change them, at the next service last week they'd only gone down 0.5mm in 4k miles and put it as an advisory again.

Does it say your tread depth on the service document?

1 hour ago, IIVORC said:

Buy a tyre tread gauge and decide for yourself, legal limit is 1.6mm, at 1.6mm water is still dispersed and the tyres are still effective, and legal. maindealers will tell you they need changing anything from 5mm and below, which isn't good for the environment and is an absolute waste if you're changing them above 2mm tread, i guess they are just following the book. I read somewhere online a while back the CEO of Michellin agrees its wastful changing tyres with good tread on.

I got advised at the last lexus service 12 months ago to change the rear tyres at 4mm, they even quoted a price to change them, at the next service last week they'd only gone down 0.5mm in 4k miles and put it as an advisory again.

Does it say your tread depth on the service document?

they videos it and sent me the video, fronts are fine but the rears are down t0 3,5mm, please not they said nearly due for replacement, I know they still have some life left, just surprised they have worn so quickly

My Pirrelli's are 3.5mm on the rear and will see me through the next year or so, but I only average 3-4k miles a year, differnt brands and compounds have different results, I'm guessing the softer and more grip a tyre offers the less life they have, that does seem a bit extreme for 8k and 8 months though,

Was your tyres 3.5mm across the edges and middle of the tyre or just one side? If it's only 3.5mm on an edge of the tyre it could be wheel set up causing un even wear,

Also have you been driving aggressive with them? Wheels spins? 😉

1 hour ago, IIVORC said:

My Pirrelli's are 3.5mm on the rear and will see me through the next year or so, but I only average 3-4k miles a year, differnt brands and compounds have different results, I'm guessing the softer and more grip a tyre offers the less life they have, that does seem a bit extreme for 8k and 8 months though,

Was your tyres 3.5mm across the edges and middle of the tyre or just one side? If it's only 3.5mm on an edge of the tyre it could be wheel set up causing un even wear,

Also have you been driving aggressive with them? Wheels spins? 😉

tyre wear was pretty much perfect 3.5mm from inside to out then 3mm on the outer edge

I think my driving is more spirited than aggressive 😇

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Twellsie said:

tyre wear was pretty much perfect 3.5mm from inside to out then 3mm on the outer edge

I think my driving is more spirited than aggressive 😇

Haha I'll use "spirited" if I get pulled over 🤣

• Haha 1

Had the PS4S fitted today by a mobile fitter and he damaged 3 wheels, under inflated all tyres and lost one of my metal dust caps and replaced it with a black plastic one.

To make it worse the fitter starting driving off whilst I was inspecting his work, managed to stop him and he told me he wasn't aware of the damage (yeah right).

Already spoken to customer services and gave them both barrels. I expect refurb on the wheels and some compensation due shocking service.

20190831_170543.jpg

• Sad 7

26 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

Had the PS4S fitted today by a mobile fitter and he damaged 3 wheels, under inflated all tyres and lost one of my metal dust caps and replaced it with a black plastic one.

To make it worse the fitter starting driving off whilst I was inspecting his work, managed to stop him and he told me he wasn't aware of the damage (yeah right).

Already spoken to customer services and gave them both barrels. I expect refurb on the wheels and some compensation due shocking service.

20190831_170543.jpg

WTF man. Hope you get significant compensation before you name and Shane that shoddy outfit. 

That is outrageously bad service. I've always been very wary of tyre fitters having heard and seen some really bad examples similar to yours on friends cars.

There are people out there who do a good job locally in Hampshire I use one who is trusted to fit tyres on wheels from a local car restoration company, last time I was there they were fitting tyres to some wheels that were £10K a piece.

Good news! The company in question have come back to me and agreed to pay for all 4 wheels to be refurbished at a company of my choosing.

i'm tempted to get them powder coated in a dark gunmetal grey as I've never been a fan of the diamond cut finish and prefer darker alloys.

Any reasons not to go down the powder coated route?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ashrez said:

Definitely try out dark gunmetal. The GSF wheels look fantastic in dark gunmetal grey. Supposedly the closest colour is Shadow Chrome.

Thanks Ashrez, will check out Shadow Chrome.

5 hours ago, Silkmen said:

Good news! The company in question have come back to me and agreed to pay for all 4 wheels to be refurbished at a company of my choosing.

i'm tempted to get them powder coated in a dark gunmetal grey as I've never been a fan of the diamond cut finish and prefer darker alloys.

Any reasons not to go down the powder coated route?

Lexus paid for mine to be refurbed as goodwii. Ditched the diamond cut for powder coat in dark chrome. 

Look great and much more practical 

My favorite tire brand is Hankook. I have them on all my cars.

I gave up on Michelins, Pirellies and even Contis! I would consider them for track use if I ever tracked my car.

My Hankooks lasted 18 months, and the rears are almost due for a change.

I've always been a Goodyear man, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Michelins so decided to change it up.

Thanks for the colours chaps, found a refurb place in Manchester that also does chrome delete. Very tempted to go with satin black around the windows to match the darker wheels.

Original Bridgestones changed at 26,000. These had a little life left, but had bad wear to inner edge on front tyres and were starting to crack.
Swapped for Michelin PS4S and fitted USRS bushes at the same time. Showing even wear after 16,000 miles. Front are about 1/2 worn, rears 2/3.
I would estimate 20K+ on rears, with 30K possible on fronts.

3 hours ago, Silkmen said:

Very tempted to go with satin black around the windows to match the darker wheels.

I'm thinking about that too. Do let us know if you go down that route.

My rear Michelin Pilot SuperSports lasted about 28,000, replaced with MP4s. Fronts are still going strong at 31000

I just get my tyres fitted by Lexus nowadays - haven't had any scratches on any of them. Seem to have a lot more time to do the job and those fancy machines which are fully automated. 

Cant complain at £10 a tyre +VAT either. 

Wheels are booked in next week for the refurb, gone with Palladium Grey (pic below) 👍

Had a palladium wheel in stock and looked good when put next to my car so took the plunge. Also agreed to supply some paint for future DIY kerbing repairs.

I've been quoted £140+ VAT for the window chrome delete and will see how the car looks post wheel refurb before deciding on the the delete.

8v3skpctdfa4nabfzwl17vqmia9kulrt.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links