Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How long do your tyres last

On 9/4/2019 at 10:05 AM, Silkmen said:

I've been quoted £140+ VAT for the window chrome delete and will see how the car looks post wheel refurb before deciding on the the delete.

Just an FYI on the window chrome delete, there is an Lexus OEM replacement part for the window trim that comes in gloss black (from when they did the black edition RC) that you can order from the dealer. I forgot how much it costs but i recall it being reasonably priced. Might be a good option for those interested.

4 hours ago, Ashrez said:

Just an FYI on the window chrome delete, there is an Lexus OEM replacement part for the window trim that comes in gloss black (from when they did the black edition RC) that you can order from the dealer. I forgot how much it costs but i recall it being reasonably priced. Might be a good option for those interested.

That's good to know, might look into it.

Sorry guys, do you mind if I piggy back this thread? As we are heading towards more wet conditions, I’m thinking of swapping the rather cheap rubber off my car (even though essentially new) as I am not happy having Chinese tyres on my car.

Is the PS4S the forum standard or can anybody else recommend a tyre? PS4 come in slightly cheaper.

I really only do motorway miles, best set of tyres I had for longevity were Michelin so sorely tempted to go that way.

Anybody tried running Yokohama? Working out about £184 cheaper, £530-£564 for the set fitted.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers

14 hours ago, V8ORBUST said:

PS4 come in slightly cheaper.

I went for PS4 over PS4S, watched ‘tyre reviews’ video on YouTube and decided I didn’t need the super-fandango spec ones. Whatever you decide I used ‘Camskill’ online and have done so many times and found them to be the cheapest every time, plus delivery service is excellent. 

1 minute ago, hockeyedwards said:

I went for PS4 over PS4S, watched ‘tyre reviews’ video on YouTube and decided I didn’t need the super-fandango spec ones. Whatever you decide I used ‘Camskill’ online and have done so many times and found them to be the cheapest every time, plus delivery service is excellent. 

I normally check Camskill, but have never actually used them. Tyreshopper is my usual website, but for some reason the 275’s are massively overpriced with them. Black circles are £564 plus possible cash back (perhaps) for the Yoko’s. I can get the Yoko shipped from a couple of European websites for around £500 plus fitting.

Not sure the Michelin’s are worth nearly £200 more. Not much difference between the PS4 and PS4S, about £40-50 depending where you look.

14 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

I normally check Camskill, but have never actually used them. Tyreshopper is my usual website, but for some reason the 275’s are massively overpriced with them. Black circles are £564 plus possible cash back (perhaps) for the Yoko’s. I can get the Yoko shipped from a couple of European websites for around £500 plus fitting.

Not sure the Michelin’s are worth nearly £200 more. Not much difference between the PS4 and PS4S, about £40-50 depending where you look.

Mine had Yokos on it when I bought it, now I have changed them the PS4S the grip is a lot better!

7 minutes ago, Twellsie said:

Mine had Yokos on it when I bought it, now I have changed them the PS4S the grip is a lot better!

Is it nearly £200 better, especially for essentially just long motorway commutes? Essentially anything will probably be better than what’s currently on, I have had Bridgestone before and they wore very quickly (different car), I had Goodyear F1 eagles on my last car and they span up at the slightest hint of a wet surface. The Pirelli Pzero score well.

I do 14k a year, so probably a new set every 18-20 months I guess. So it’s worth considering the price difference over the long term.

Thanks for the help.

54 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

Is it nearly £200 better, especially for essentially just long motorway commutes? Essentially anything will probably be better than what’s currently on, I have had Bridgestone before and they wore very quickly (different car), I had Goodyear F1 eagles on my last car and they span up at the slightest hint of a wet surface. The Pirelli Pzero score well.

I do 14k a year, so probably a new set every 18-20 months I guess. So it’s worth considering the price difference over the long term.

Thanks for the help.

for £3 per week over 18 months, yeah I think its worth it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, V8ORBUST said:

Having only ever had Michelin’s and Eagle F1’s and a random Hankook one time 😂, I have a limited experience and usually just stick to what I know, I found the Michelin’s the GSF came with were frankly 💩, but the PS4’s are superb. But as I see you’ve mentioned above, unsure if £200 worth of good!

The 275’s might be super overpriced because if I remember correctly they were a tricky size to get hold of (in the PS4) and at the time of purchasing Camskill were the only one to have my front and rear in stock.

I had Michelin PS4S's fitted as part of the spec on my new wheels, can't say I've noticed any difference over the PS4's originally fitted on the car from the factory.

According to the driving Gods and other better experienced testers there is a difference between the PS4 and the PS4S. One thing is for sure skimping on tyres is a false economy,  although part of a raging debate I am in the pro winter tyre brigade purely for the better braking distances in cold weather. Just to qualify that, on the South Coast we rarely get extremely low temperatures.

2 minutes ago, B1RMA said:

I had Michelin PS4S's fitted as part of the spec on my new wheels, can't say I've noticed any difference over the PS4's originally fitted on the car from the factory.

According to the driving Gods and other better experienced testers there is a difference between the PS4 and the PS4S. One thing is for sure skimping on tyres is a false economy,  although part of a raging debate I am in the pro winter tyre brigade purely for the better braking distances in cold weather. Just to qualify that, on the South Coast we rarely get extremely low temperatures.

I swear by winters too, but I’m not in a position to purchase 2 sets this year and I do have the luxury of a back up car in case of inclement weather this year however.

The main aim is to get off this cheap rubber and put some decent stuff between me and the road, I’ve had and currently have Avon’s on cars and they’ve always been good, except I’ve never had a car of this magnitude before. Avon’s are £490 fitted.

Wheels have been powder coated, just need to finish things off with chrome delete.

I previously had Korean ditch finders on and straight away noticed then difference after switching to PS4S, especially in the wet 👍

20190911_190135.jpg

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

Wheels have been powder coated, just need to finish things off with chrome delete.

I previously had Korean ditch finders on and straight away noticed then difference after switching to PS4S, especially in the wet 👍

20190911_190135.jpg

That’s looking mean😍

6 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

Thanks, really happy with the result and close up of the colour.

20190911_182903.jpg

I much prefer the powder coated look, but then I would 😅

Just sat watching and reading tyre reviews, I can see why one of our members was looking at the Falkens a couple of years ago, they’re not a bad tyre for the money at all.

The new Goodyear’s are coming in at a very reasonable £615 ish fitted as well.

Starting to get a headache 😩

Any money saved will go towards a new detail and ceramic coat 👍

11 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

I much prefer the powder coated look, but then I would 😅

Just sat watching and reading tyre reviews, I can see why one of our members was looking at the Falkens a couple of years ago, they’re not a bad tyre for the money at all.

The new Goodyear’s are coming in at a very reasonable £615 ish fitted as well.

Starting to get a headache 😩

Any money saved will go towards a new detail and ceramic coat 👍

I got all 4 PS4S fitted for £685 after being emailed a 10% discount code. The code still works, the supplier and fitter was Tyres on the Drive. However the fitter knackered my alloys, used them 2/3 times in the past without issue though. They agreed to cover the cost of the refurb so can't complain and much prefer the wheels post refurb.

The code is TREAD10, might be worth trying it.

22 minutes ago, Silkmen said:

I got all 4 PS4S fitted for £685 after being emailed a 10% discount code. The code still works, the supplier and fitter was Tyres on the Drive. However the fitter knackered my alloys, used them 2/3 times in the past without issue though. They agreed to cover the cost of the refurb so can't complain and much prefer the wheels post refurb.

The code is TREAD10, might be worth trying it.

Thanks for the heads up, just checked again and they are not offering PS4S for the rears, just PS4 and with 4S on the fronts it’s coming out at £702.57.

Ok, new shoes ordered, gone with Pilot Sport 4 on each corner for £664, but that may come down a tad with cash back. Couldn’t justify the extra £100 or so for the S’s and the availability isn’t great online. Hopefully made a good choice, at least the ditch finders will be gone.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, V8ORBUST said:

Ok, new shoes ordered, gone with Pilot Sport 4 on each corner for £664, but that may come down a tad with cash back. Couldn’t justify the extra £100 or so for the S’s and the availability isn’t great online. Hopefully made a good choice, at least the ditch finders will be gone.

Glad you managed to settle on a tyre. I have all this to look forward when my Super Sports need replacing. I’m surprised Lexus sold your car with budget tyres on🤷🏾‍♂️

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, F.A. said:

Glad you managed to settle on a tyre. I have all this to look forward when my Super Sports need replacing. I’m surprised Lexus sold your car with budget tyres on🤷🏾‍♂️

Me too! I regret not pushing them to change them, I’m not sure how the budget rubber found it’s way on in the first place.

5 hours ago, V8ORBUST said:

If I remember correctly, the review I watched on Tyre Reviews YouTube put the 4S as a better track tyre as they could handle hard cornering better for longer, seeing as I don’t intend on tracking my car, I also could not justify the extra monies, and a +1 for crappy availability 😂, you won’t be disappointed in the PS4, still handle very well! 👍

• Like 2

7 hours ago, V8ORBUST said:

Me too! I regret not pushing them to change them, I’m not sure how the budget rubber found it’s way on in the first place.

Same experience for me, purchased my car from Lexus and they put cheap rubber on. I had travelled 150 miles to purchase the car and was surprised at their choice of tyre, I assumed the car would be wearing PSS as per OEM spec. I did the deal anyway and enjoyed hammering the rears knowing they were going.

• Like 1

Lexus have twice quoted me new tyres at what seemed like reasonable rates. After a bit of digging I found that both times the tyres were a lower speed and weight rating than the originals. They were offering me W (up to 168mph) rather than Y (up to 186mph). I'm not sure if this invalidates the insurance, but I certainly wouldn't be happy on an autobahn on Ws.

I wonder if the ditchfinders, or other tat, put on by some Lexus cars are also lower spec? It would be good bargaining power.

17 minutes ago, MNMJ said:

Lexus have twice quoted me new tyres at what seemed like reasonable rates. After a bit of digging I found that both times the tyres were a lower speed and weight rating than the originals. They were offering me W (up to 168mph) rather than Y (up to 186mph). I'm not sure if this invalidates the insurance, but I certainly wouldn't be happy on an autobahn on Ws.

I wonder if the ditchfinders, or other tat, put on by some Lexus cars are also lower spec? It would be good bargaining power.

I'm really surprised that a Lexus dealer would consider such a thing as putting cheap low rated tyres on a 470 BHP car that they surely know well. When I bought mine it had the factory fitted Michelin PS4's so luckily being very low mileage they hadn't been changed.

• Like 1