Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'd like to have my bonnet resprayed as it has some quite deep stone chips plus some scratches and a rust bubble about the size of a 5 pence coin. Has anyone on here got any recommendations for the Stockport area? Thanks.

Lexus give a 12 year rust warranty, so if your car is under 12 years take it down to them. They will check the rust and replace the bonnet. 

I had 2 mk3 gs300 and both had rust coming through on the lip of the bonnet, it's very common, and lexus replaced both bonnets.

3 hours ago, messi said:

Lexus give a 12 year rust warranty, so if your car is under 12 years take it down to them. They will check the rust and replace the bonnet. 

I had 2 mk3 gs300 and both had rust coming through on the lip of the bonnet, it's very common, and lexus replaced both bonnets.

Thanks for that, it must be worth a try. I'm attaching two photos of the bubble and I'm assuming it's rust but it could be caused by a stone hitting the bonnet although it IS a bubble and it's not like the other stone chips on the bonnet.

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

I'll take it into Lexus Stockport to see what they say. However, I've just looked at the warranty statement in the service record book and it says: 12 years of coverage is provided against bodywork perforation (i.e. any holes through the bodywork from inside to outside) appearing on any of the painted body panels due to a fault in materials or workmanship. There isn't any hole from the inside to the outside so I'm not sure what the outcome will be. No harm in asking though. Thanks for the heads up. I'll report back.

Update: The bonnet was inspected by the local Lexus bodyshop today. Very knowledgable and friendly guy who said that unfortunately the chipped paint on the front lip of the bonnet immediately in front of the paint bubble will have been caused by a stone (stone chip) and therefore the problem is not a manufacturing fault (There is no corrosion from underneath the bonnet). With his 20 years experience and knowing how Lexus deal with these claims, his opinion is that Lexus would not agree the claim for the aforesaid reason. He did say that had the car been serviced with Lexus throughout my 10 years of ownership (I bought the car when it was just under 2 years old), Lexus might well agree to pay for the repair as a gesture of goodwill. He said they would be prepared to submit a claim to Lexus but under the circumstances I would have to pay £75 for the preparation and submission of a claim report to Lexus. If the claim was successful the £75 would be refunded. I'm not surprise, It all seems pretty reasonable to me, but it was worth at least asking the question. I asked for a price if I were to pay them direct just so I'd have an idea of cost and the bonnet would be £500 but realistically they'd need to feather-in the paint onto the top of both wings to avoid the new paint not blending in with the old. This would add £300, so £800 in total. I called at another bodyshop that had been recommended to me and they quoted £480 for the same job. I'll now have to think about whether or not I want to spend that amount of money or just leave the bonnet as it is. I imagine it's going to take many years for it to go into a hole as the car is garaged and I do a fairly low annual mileage. Would be nice for it to be all shiny and new though. Of course, over 10 years I've saved more than £480 by having the car serviced by my local indie, so it is a case of swings and roundabouts! I'll sleep on it! Just thought I'd let anyone who's interested know the outcome (so far).

• Like 1

Is it not worth looking at just getting the chips ect done with a mobile repairer? They are very good nowadays and can do localised repairs. I'd follow that up with a single stage polish with a detailer and it will be as good as new.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, leelacey17 said:

Is it not worth looking at just getting the chips ect done with a mobile repairer? They are very good nowadays and can do localised repairs. I'd follow that up with a single stage polish with a detailer and it will be as good as new.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Hi Lee. It will have to be the whole of the bonnet as it has quite a few stone chips and scratches in addition to the paint bubble.

1 hour ago, hondansxr said:

i would try another  independent body shop sounds a lot of money to me .

Paul. Yes, I've just put together a list of 3 more companies and I'll get quotes asap.

On 9/3/2019 at 5:43 PM, hondansxr said:

i would try another  independent body shop sounds a lot of money to me .

I got 3 more quotes this morning to compare against the £480 quote. £360, £500, £545. Out of the 4 quotes, the £480 and £360 are favourites, not just on price, but I liked both guys who both explained what they would do in detail and I just got the right vibes from both of them. I don't suppose there's anyone on here has had and work done by Cheshire Accident Management Ltd or DC Motorbodies, both in Stockport?