SH20

Back To Basics

Installed my space saver and made new dummy floor.  Feel better for having an old fashioned spare. What original tools I need I now carry in my mini trolley jack case. 

Spare wheel fitted.JPG

Dummy Floor.JPG

• Like 3

Ive just purchased a Lexus ES 300h and am looking to fit a space saver spare wheel. My Lexus garage say they can’t get one - can you advise? 

Thanks

Alison

Alison,  it's true that a dealer won't be able to supply a space saver on an official new part basis because the UK spec did not include the option for one so no part number exists as far as UK part numbers are concerned. The US get an alloy space saver as standard.   It's really about weight saving  rather than cost.

My previous car was a GS450h which had a pressed steel space saver as standard.  I did not keep it when I traded the GS in for the ES but simply went on to E Bay and typed in space saver wheel for Lexus GS.    These space saver wheels get very little use even when a person gets a flat .  They are very plain and stand out against the alloy wheels on the car.  Most people get the flat repaired and then the space saver goes back in the boot.    The E Bay wheel cost £40  with free delivery and I made sure it fitted the front and rear hubs when I got my ES.   It did,  so I can now use it if I get a flat.     The tyre inflation kit in your boot will work fine once you work out how it should be used but the use of the goo inside the tyre  tends to result in having to buy a new tyre instead of a £25 puncture repair.  You also need to buy another  canister of goo for future flats.    Some people say the goo that inflated the flat tyre can be removed but the likes of Kwik Fit, ATS, Halfords etc won't entertain removing the goo in order to fix an ordinary puncture, they will just say you need a new tyre hence my wish to have an old fashioned spare wheel.    If you look for a space saver on the internet make sure you look for Lexus ones as they have 5 holes to match the 5 holes of your ES alloys.   You could always buy a GS450h space saver from a Lexus dealer but it will cost at least £200 incl a tyre.   The dealer will still ask you for a registration number and/or a chassis number and of course your car is an ES so he/she will just get confused as to why you are wanting a GS part when you own an ES.     

The tools you have in the boot enable you to get a wheel off the car so if you discover a flat or a slow puncture on your drive or in your garage then remove the wheel at home and then get a mate to help you deliver it to a tyre firm who can repair it providing the offending nail/screw  etc  has not punctured the tyre too close to the edge of the tyre.  £25 puncture repair for a little hassle   getting the wheel to kwik fit is better than £150 for a new tyre.  If you are out and about then the tyre inflation kit would have to be used.  Space saver tyres run at around 60 psi  tyre pressure,  much higher than the 35 psi your current wheels/tyres run at.   It's because the space saver tyre is skinny.  Hope this helps..

I love the idea of a real spare wheel.

But, just a thought.... we had a flat in our RX, without a spare ... AA (Lexus assist) came out and fitted a plug from the outside... it was a temporary repair until we got to a tyre place who did a proper puncture repair... to me that worked better than a spare, as the wheel size remained the same, didn't affect the steering (although also limited to 50mph until proper repair made)... just a thought to anyone who can't get a spare, or not brave enough to try swapping a wheel on a hard shoulder!.

Didn't think those nylon plugs still existed. I remember in the late sixties early seventies you could by a kit with a supply of 3 inch long nylon strips that you inserted with a T bar tool which the plug slid onto and then dipped in a tin of special lubrication  and you simply pushed the nylon strip into the puncture hole and twisted the T bar tool and then extracted it. The two visible bits of nylon were then just cut off.    Back then though that was the repair.     A few years later that type of repair option was effectively banned in favour of a traditional vulcanisation repair from the inside and those quick repair kits disappeared.    I guess when we have a recovery company that we can call on, John's experience is a great service and I agree nice to be able to drive off with the original wheel in a serviceable condition.   Maybe as I was in the motor trade a space saver just means I'm not faced with using the inflation kit and goo or calling someone out.    Yes changing a wheel on the hard shoulder of a motorway can be a bit hairy.            

No spare in my RC either. I do carry a plug kit and footpump in the boot. 

A friend of mine does similar, and when on a long journey or holiday, has one of his old legal tyres as well (ie, no rim). He fills the tyre with soft luggage, shoes etc. That way if he gets a non repairable puncture, he can give the tyre to the rescue person to get fitted so he doesn't get stung for an expensive replacement.