Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1998 Ls400 starter motor failed!!!

amazighman

Morning.

I thought my Battery was duff so got a new one from dealers, however it doesn't start apart from once , just a single click coming from the back of the intake manifold which suggest worn starter motor contacts.

Has anybody got any  comprehensive detailed DIY guide ?

I m sure it is a big job  but i will have no choice but to do it myself.

Thanks

The LS400 starter motor is on top of the V under the inlet manifold, so isn't as straight forward a job as a typically located starter 😞

100_1792.thumb.jpg.124eed9ecd3989ad964f9

Here's a thread that links to a good guide for you; 

https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/90496-starter-replacement/

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

30 minutes ago, Farqui said:

The LS400 starter motor is on top of the V under the inlet manifold, so isn't as straight forward a job as a typically located starter 😞

100_1792.thumb.jpg.124eed9ecd3989ad964f9

Here's a thread that links to a good guide for you; 

https://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/topic/90496-starter-replacement/

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks...I will be doing the job as soon as i get all the parts required.

Do you advice to go with whole new starter motor or just copper contacts and plunger kit?

What are the parts needed in terms of gaskets etc as manifold ,TB and other bits have to be removed and i would like to have all parts ready beforehand?

As it's quite an involved job I would be tempted to replace as many parts as possible including the starter motor.  Although if your vehicle is low mileage or your budget is tight, then just opt for the obvious parts that are broken.  Replacing everything will make for a quicker fix, whereas checking and ordering specific parts will mean more down time.

Part numbers are in the US thread 😉

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-2nd-gen-1998-2005/394613-1999-lexus-gs-400-starting-problems-2.html#post4063189

there are prior posts on here about just replacing the component parts to the starter motor, simple parts with minimal costs too, just a few£££

I think ( maybe I'm wrong ? ) that Steve2006 had some input here too

Just a thought

Malc

As above, just replace the plunger and contacts, I had it done on my 400, about £12 for the parts, and I seem to remember the labour by an indie was £150ish.  Parts available on eBay. An easy time to loose parts down the manifold ports so much care needed.

58 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

As above, just replace the plunger and contacts, I had it done on my 400, about £12 for the parts, and I seem to remember the labour by an indie was £150ish.  Parts available on eBay. An easy time to loose parts down the manifold ports so much care needed.

I ordered the following.

Starter repair kit

Intake manifold gasket x2

Water bridge gaskets x2

Not sure if new injector O rings are needed.?

Do I have to completely drain coolant?

13 minutes ago, amazighman said:

I ordered the following.

Starter repair kit

Intake manifold gasket x2

Water bridge gaskets x2

Not sure if new injector O rings are needed.?

Do I have to completely drain coolant?

I think you've got all you need and you'll only have to drain the coolant so far,  but I would play safe and drain most of it.  

5 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

I think you've got all you need and you'll only have to drain the coolant so far,  but I would play safe and drain most of it.  

Do uk cars have EGR pipe above the starter ? Or its just the water bridge to remove?

Do you have to unbolt the starter to fit new.contacts kit or can be done in situe?

28 minutes ago, amazighman said:

Do uk cars have EGR pipe above the starter ? Or its just the water bridge to remove?

Do you have to unbolt the starter to fit new.contacts kit or can be done in situe?

I don't know about an EGR pipe as I didn't do the job myself but I know they removed the starter which in itself is a pain.  As Malc suggests, contact Steve because he did his own and will offer the best help.

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I don't know about an EGR pipe as I didn't do the job myself but I know they removed the starter which in itself is a pain.  As Malc suggests, contact Steve because he did his own and will offer the best help.

Excuse my ignorance but who is Steve? Whats his forum nickname

Here we are. intake manifold is off...so many hoses,clips,connectors and bolts and obviously scraped knuckles.

Most of the connectors didn't budge, a spray of ptfe lubricant on the locking tab helped a lots.

I got the started off but waiting for the contacts and pluger kit....i only managed to brake one plastic vent/drain at the bottom of the starter, not sure if they are replacable?

IMG_20190904_152202-744x992.jpg

IMG_20190904_152010-744x992.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Malc said:

you're doing well

my indy tells me it's akin to spending the same amount of time changing the cambelt et al  ( 8 hrs ? ) :zorro:

Malc

Cambelt probably easier as it is big parts that need unbolting , this is like a brain surgery with various clips and hoses and brackets all over the place

All I can  say is this is a proper faff....the manifold is so heavy that i had to get someone to help lift it....and that fuel pipe doesn't help either

3 hours ago, TigerFish said:

This is a link to a starter motor solenoid overhaul tutorial I did a while back. It may help.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/tutorials/article/147-starter-motor-solenoid-overhaul/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for that.

13 hours ago, Farqui said:

Well done emoji106.png

Did you see any wear that was a probable cause of your issue?

Yes, contact and plunger surfaces were very worn

Took me 4 hours to remove the starter....waited for parts couple of days and then took 3 hours to put everything back....

I am not very organized ,  waste a lots of time looking for tools

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links