Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 450h LexusCare warranty. Buy 1 get 1 free!

We are trading in our 56 plate RX400h tomorrow, only had the 1 year warranty when we bought it in Jan 2009, never felt the need to extend the warranty and other than the stuff you'd expect to need to do over the years (tyres/brakes) never had a single thing go wrong with it - now 130k miles, serviced/MOT'd annually by Lexus MD. Suspect will not be extending the warranty on the 450 when it's gone either. Yes, they are complex, but (in my experience at least), uber reliable - hopefully not jinxing things from here on!

• Like 1

Interestingly, collecting our brand new RX on Saturday, they were trying to flog us the 2for1 extended warranty offer - pay now for when the 3 year manufacturers warranty expires, saying if we didn’t keep the car for the full length of the ext-warranty, we’d get money back pro-rata to when we got rid of it. Said no.

14 minutes ago, StGeorge said:

Interestingly, collecting our brand new RX on Saturday, they were trying to flog us the 2for1 extended warranty offer - pay now for when the 3 year manufacturers warranty expires, saying if we didn’t keep the car for the full length of the ext-warranty, we’d get money back pro-rata to when we got rid of it. Said no.

That is rather naughty.Which Dealer was it ?

7 minutes ago, cidermonster said:

Interesting comments, thanks all.

As I'm currently paying for a service plan I'm wondering what the merit is having the extended warranty too.

I have both Pete. They are independent of each other,but  having the Service Plan should mean that the Dealer is on your side if you have to make a claim on the Extended Warranty.

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I have both Pete. They are independent of each other,but  having the Service Plan should mean that the Dealer is on your side if you have to make a claim on the Extended Warranty.

Good point, given the car is primarily for a 55 mile commute to work it would be great piece of mind.

25 minutes ago, cidermonster said:

Interesting comments, thanks all.

As I'm currently paying for a service plan I'm wondering what the merit is having the extended warranty too.

The extended warranty is probably the best in the business for cost vs benefits.

The way to look at it is that really it's insurance. We all have car insurance and home insurance to name just two, and we all hope that we never need to make claims on them - it's for peace of mind as much as anything.

My RX has LED headlights and they are a sealed unit. If one LED goes it can't be replaced individually, the whole unit has to be replaced at over £800.

Imagine the cost of, say, an inverter/converter unit - well over a grand I'd imagine, perhaps closer to two.

Plus you get full Lexus Breakdown cover (provided by the AA and including European cover and Homestart) for you and your partner, for any car you're travelling in, and MOTs too, all in the cost of the two-for-one extended warranty.

The warranty itself is great value in my opinion, it's the requirement to have servicing done at the main dealers that kills me as I'm used to paying mates rates for servicing.

• Like 1

I can confirm the refund. When I purchased my 2011 ISF it came with the usual 12 months warranty. At the same time, I also signed up for the 2 for one extended when that expired. At one month into the second year, I received a check for the unused 23 months remaining.

What I would mention is you only get a refund if you haven't made a claim in that year.

Luckily, I put the car in for a service and mot 11 months after purchase and some warranty work was carried out under the 'first year'. Had I waited and had the service and mot after that, I would have encroached on the second year, and then only got 12 months refund. So play your cards right!