Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gearbox oil level

Hi guys I was checking fluids after a 50mile trip , with engine idling and found the gearbox fluid to be sitting half way between cold and hot marks , I let it cool down over nite and the level now it’s cold is above the hot marks , I take it when hot fluid should be on or near the hot marks but is it right that when cold it’s right over the hot marks🤭🤔

50 minutes ago, Mylexrx said:

but is it right that when cold it’s right over the hot marks

It's irrelevant.

The correct way to check is to get the engine to normal running temperature and sit the car on level ground with the gear selector in P, then move the selector through all positions, allowing time for the change to complete, and the same back up to P again, then read the level.

That's the only measurement that matters so don't worry about what it's like when cold.

Oh, and make sure you're reading the correct side of the dipstick. As daft as it sounds, I seem to recall that my RX300 showed different levels on each side of the dipstick, presumably due to how it sits in the fluid.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mylexrx said:

Cheers herbie , so fluid to be on hot marks when warm

Yep, that's right

31 minutes ago, Mylexrx said:

Sorry and what side should I be looking at

I'm not quite sure because it's been a couple of years since I last did it.

I have a mate who is a fully-qualified mechanic and works for a Vauxhall main dealer. I asked him to change the fluid and filter and when he'd finished and I picked up the car, he said to keep my eye on the level for a couple of days to make sure there were no leaks or anything untoward.

The first time I checked I had to ring him and say that I thought he'd over-filled it because it was over the 'Full' mark, to which his reply was, "Turn the dipstick over" and I was amazed to find that it was absolutely bob-on the mark, which is how I know that you have to look at the 'correct' side - but can't remember which side that is :wallbash:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links