Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus NX 300h Triple Beam LED with AFS package

Hello guys, I have my lexus now for about a year and i still don`t know if it has Bi-led lights. It is luxury package with Triple-Beam LEDs, when I push Strart button they make some weird up and down dance but I didn`t notice them move left and right when I turn the steering wheel. I found some tests about the Headlights on IIHS (link:https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights) and they wrote curve adaptive? as yes. Please if you could tell me something about the lights, how they actually work?.

If you have a button that says AFS then that's the Adaptive Front Lighting System (if you turn it off you'll also see a warning light in the instrument binnacle that reads 'AFS OFF'.

This is the system that swivels the lights left or right as you steer left or right, but it only works above a certain speed (I think 15mph) so you won't see anything if you're just turning the wheel while stationary.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, davori123 said:
Hello guys, I have my lexus now for about a year and i still don`t know if it has Bi-led lights. It is luxury package with Triple-Beam LEDs, when I push Strart button they make some weird up and down dance but I didn`t notice them move left and right when I turn the steering wheel. I found some tests about the Headlights on IIHS (link:https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...019#headlights) and they wrote curve adaptive? as yes. Please if you could tell me something about the lights, how they actually work?.

Unlike the RX I do not think the NX has the AFS system. The f-sport and above have the AHS and high beam assist not sure about the luxury.  

23 hours ago, Eggie said:

Unlike the RX I do not think the NX has the AFS system. The f-sport and above have the AHS and high beam assist not sure about the luxury.  

I looked up in  manuals and it only says AHS is optional but it comes as standard in Luxury package........and if I understood correctly fog lights are used for lighting the corners. So is it possible that lights go only up and down when you push the Start button and do some auto leveling only or they can move left and right too but only  at certain conditions or this AFS system is only available in America where IIHS make tests, but I do not think that EU an USA models are different. I think they just made a mistake AFS instead of AHS.

On 9/8/2019 at 1:17 PM, Herbie said:

If you have a button that says AFS then that's the Adaptive Front Lighting System (if you turn it off you'll also see a warning light in the instrument binnacle that reads 'AFS OFF'.

This is the system that swivels the lights left or right as you steer left or right, but it only works above a certain speed (I think 15mph) so you won't see anything if you're just turning the wheel while stationary.

I do not have any  AFS only Auto lights button that can switch between low and high beams automatically. I think Lexus does not use this technology on Full-LED lights any more like on HID(xenon). 

Our 2015 GS450h has AFS on full-LED lights. 

But it's totally unnecessary. 

Our Volvo V70 had AFS Bi-Xenon lights, and on that you could see the benefit as they turned (although they were a little slow at turning - the lexus is much faster). However, the LED lights on the GS cast illumination so widely compared to older halogen and Xenon lights that there is simply no need to turn them - the width of the illuminated field is so wide that turning it doesn't achieve anything at all (other than increased cost and complexity). My Tesla Model 3 has full-LED lights without the turning function and they're absolutely fine - again the width of illumination they provide means that turning them is unnecessary. 

It may well be that Lexus have dropped this feature because it's not needed any more. 

On 9/8/2019 at 12:17 PM, Herbie said:

This may be the case for the RX, but it does not apply to the NX.

Take a look here (or search youTube for "Automatic High Beam and Adaptive High-Beam - Lexus Safety System+"

Good grief, how much is that going to cost if one of those light units goes faulty?

24 separate LED chips that can be switched individually to illuminate different areas of road ahead, all controlled by what a camera 'sees' in the distance. That's going to be crazy money and will no doubt lead to writing off a car for the sake of a faulty or damaged headlamp unit.

12 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Good grief, how much is that going to cost if one of those light units goes faulty?

24 separate LED chips that can be switched individually to illuminate different areas of road ahead, all controlled by what a camera 'sees' in the distance. That's going to be crazy money and will no doubt lead to writing off a car for the sake of a faulty or damaged headlamp unit.

A faulty unit will be covered by the warranty, won`t it Herbs ?

6 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

A faulty unit will be covered by the warranty, won`t it Herbs ?

2 minutes ago, DanD said:

Makes the extended warranty worth the money, doesn't it!?

It does indeed.

On 9/10/2019 at 12:51 PM, Herbie said:

So does my 2013 RX450h Advance.

I don’t think any 3RX has full LED lights though as the high beam appears to still be a halogen bulb? 

On 9/10/2019 at 8:45 AM, i-s said:

Our 2015 GS450h has AFS on full-LED lights. 

But it's totally unnecessary. 

Our Volvo V70 had AFS Bi-Xenon lights, and on that you could see the benefit as they turned (although they were a little slow at turning - the lexus is much faster). However, the LED lights on the GS cast illumination so widely compared to older halogen and Xenon lights that there is simply no need to turn them - the width of the illuminated field is so wide that turning it doesn't achieve anything at all (other than increased cost and complexity). My Tesla Model 3 has full-LED lights without the turning function and they're absolutely fine - again the width of illumination they provide means that turning them is unnecessary. 

It may well be that Lexus have dropped this feature because it's not needed any more. 

I was a little baffled that our GSF was missing the AFS feature but it makes sense now! 

10 hours ago, F.A. said:

I don’t think any 3RX has full LED lights though as the high beam appears to still be a halogen bulb? 

You are indeed correct my friend, sorry.

13 hours ago, Herbie said:

You are indeed correct my friend, sorry.

I must admit I was very surprised by this when we purchased our RX450 but in the end I was just happy that it came with LED lights for the low beam. 

• Like 1

Living in an area without much street lighting I find it a bit useless as I have to go above 40mph. The lanes around me are fairly twisty so 20-40 is about the correct speeds therefore I have it turned off and have the inconvenience of having to see oncoming lights (way before the system would react) and dipping myself. 😉

I also live in an area with little in the way of street lighting but I don't use the AHS as the system is too slow to react to on-coming vehicles and too fast to react to reflections from road signs!!

6 hours ago, HarryM said:

Living in an area without much street lighting I find it a bit useless as I have to go above 40mph. The lanes around me are fairly twisty so 20-40 is about the correct speeds therefore I have it turned off and have the inconvenience of having to see oncoming lights (way before the system would react) and dipping myself. 😉

I am exactly in the same mind as you and have told Lexus about this issue with AHBC. I find it particularly problematic when turning off a main road (where the beams are dipped due to traffic) into an unlit lane. The beam cut-off is so severe that you can't see anything and, as you say, 40mph is too fast to restore main beam.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/20/2019 at 8:12 AM, NemesisUK said:

I also live in an area with little in the way of street lighting but I don't use the AHS as the system is too slow to react to on-coming vehicles and too fast to react to reflections from road signs!!

I haven't had this AT ALL. The system has never caused anyone to flash me and seems to work perfectly. Other than only operating above too high a speed. Which is a pain.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:45 PM, Rosella said:

I have tried using the  AHS in my nx, but numerous times cars in front of me have flashed their lights so it’s now a feature I don’t use 

Never had this. Perhaps the 2019 has an updated system...