Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Lexus is now back in the driveway. 

After over two years of not seeing the car (was in storage) and some recommissioning and many pound notes later... the car is now running well again and ready for some occasional wafting!

The ECU is now fixed (special thank you to Avilec Ltd on the Isle of Wight) and the car is driving much better.  I still have a few jobs to do and I was hoping to gain some advice from other board members who have experience and knowledge with these cars (and just some general common sense advice too!).

I collected the car this afternoon from Lexus hoping to find a report of all the 'issues' or supplementary work but sadly one was not done.  They focused there time on just getting the car to run right which I understand.  I then for the first time drove the car again while on route to the pre-booked Mot.  In short the car drives great, but not perfect.

1. My air-con was supposed to have been gassed a year ago but it was blowing warm today and come to think of it I can not recall hearing the motor kick in or notice a change in revs like a/c normally does - will need to double check this.

2. Once reaching 30mph or so and above the car pulls to the left (I think) when braking.  Its a weird feeling, as the back feels like is pulling one way and then the front goes another.  Then sometimes it just feels like its the front. Strange?  This will need to be done next for sure as it feels wrong and not reassuring.

3. Hearing the odd clonk up front and on the rear.

4. The drivers window feels slow to go down.  I am wondering if its just dirt over time that has found its way in perhaps?  Never tried the others yet.

5. Climate control screen is blurry. I asked for this to be fixed by another garage and its still the same. I am sure they sent it off to a firm but its no use and unreadable.

6. Speakers - not all are working.

7. Steering is a little off centre (had asked for this to be aligned as well but not perfect enough)

8. When driving along the motorway after a few miles and on a slight incline, I felt as if the car was ever so slightly hesitant.  When under load on the incline on the motorway it would take off but as I began a little easing of pressure on the accelerator pedal it felt like it was giving a very very slight jerk or a hesitation more like.  The car had not went this sort of distance in ages right enough but just curious what that could be.

So, went for the Mot and it failed. However, just on the number plates which I will sort out for the re-test.  The rest of it was fine according to the garage.  No mention of any of my observations which surprises me a little (brakes and suspension).

That's all the main mechanical bits at the moment that are annoying me.  I would like to get these addressed as I want this car to be the best it can be.  Any advice as to where to go or what to look for etc with regards to the above is genuinely appreciated.  Too much money and time spent on it to just let it go.  I could probably of bought a much newer one or a better example with what I have paid out so far, but that is life sometimes.  Before the cars are banned completely I want to enjoy some time behind the wheel of it.

Anyway, here is a photo as it stands now.  Oh, and thank you Steve2006 for the clear indicators - they are looking rather smart!

DSC02564 (Large).JPG

DSC02544 (Large).JPG

• Like 1

The design of later cars perhaps not as nice as this first?  Beauty etc.  I think it looks grand.

Answers

1/  A real worry and possible expense

2/ Tyre pressure re-checked?

3/  MOT should have checked such parts as would make a clonk

4/  Hope others work alright.  May get better with time.

5/  Can buy RHD replacement from US on eBay. The original can't be repaired.

6/  Main one on parcel shelf is not a Ghetto blaster

7/  Stored like this?

8/  Have experienced similar with new TPS. when going downhill and taking foot off accelerator seems to very slightly dive.  May require slight adjustment or professional setting.  A Lexls video on subject.

Could do a fault diagnosis?  Lexls video on how.

Hi guys I’m back after computer issues.

I’ve now sent you the promised rear cluster from mine Jordan, looking at yours they are the same so the US spec ones should fit fine.

Your LS is looking good and looks the same colour as mine.

43 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

The design of later cars perhaps not as nice as this first?  Beauty etc.  I think it looks grand.

Answers

1/  A real worry and possible expense

2/ Tyre pressure re-checked?

3/  MOT should have checked such parts as would make a clonk

4/  Hope others work alright.  May get better with time.

5/  Can buy RHD replacement from US on ebay. The original can't be repaired.

6/  Main one on parcel shelf is not a Ghetto blaster

7/  Stored like this?

8/  Have experienced similar with new TPS. when going downhill and taking foot off accelerator seems to very slightly dive.  May require slight adjustment or professional setting.  A Lexls video on subject.

Could do a fault diagnosis?  Lexls video on how.

Thank you for the reply.  More research needed on my part then - oh the joys.

26 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Hi guys I’m back after computer issues.

I’ve now sent you the promised rear cluster from mine Jordan, looking at yours they are the same so the US spec ones should fit fine.

Your LS is looking good and looks the same colour as mine.

Thank you Steve, very much appreciated.  I will look to get them ordered shortly.  I actually sent you an e-mail just in case (with some photos of measurements).

The colour baffles me sometimes.  Before it looked gold, and then beige mainly and today it looks like a smokey beige verging on grey.  I think the paint code is 4k7 but its definitely beige... or is it?

What colour is the interior then...?  Some one said teal, some say brown.

DSC02553 (Large).JPG

DSC02554 (Large).JPG

Paint code is on the plate under the bonnet.  4K9 is Sandstone Beige so if you are 4K7 then you are

Champagne Beige Metallic  /  Taupe Metallic  (4K7)

Nearest colour in Mercedes that I once had,  was called Smoke Silver

Here's what you need for the Climate Control

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-1994-Toyota-Celsior-Lexus-LS400-RHD-Climate-Control-HVAC-LCD-Screen/253064035229?fits=Model%3ALS400%7CMake%3ALexus&epid=25011487432&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item3aebcabb9d:g:ACAAAOSwmE9cRzzN&enc=AQAEAAAB8BPxNw%2BVj6nta7CKEs3N0qV2TBkGia4XgXFaKoAq0G7Z9lHIdJ4CeEtlSquNrz8M7QQh4nlzqF7YvGBUmWIJqAv31JxCYSMH9ACQvoguFxMeXLDz9FyTL1yEtglfuvGRR%2FWNKe5klQqWnOWEXNCNW4TGobuUPC7EFVKRk12H3l9FA6%2FfThEbIAkVXSQ8m0%2BRK3q4GM3hbkfligpM1l51PuZ5doUFVNhzi2WoDpim8q%2F%2Br5qZAn1UBetTDRMjf%2FGaQVXaJyCE1j9ng9ymfeXdPumii0sEOvPDIVJSQkLXNliLZ4w2CaErJ0BC1%2FnDiAgr5FUTp7ZtFZt8zQflbd3vW14nUYJOjlpGD6R00w2p%2BaaSkpt2XaMry0OjmUQjxzhMYkJY6M4eIa1RJClIfkUvOBui%2FEWDkA0RFGm2vgtSQJ3FxPHr2JysQKFG2D1cYC9K0VtpMk31DieLaiifsN9Lx7fm0Dwv8b7S%2FqEc%2BmtGo%2BR95CuArNAg%2FR7OMZaPuoczlX8KpjcrGz0MZBFacNj83%2F2ehPzG12iIAppuIB0%2BMYfStzsPPTbLBeZd945kVNq20fQqPXvYBb8FOyXKp4KOoxUESkmDWyJRyOg%2Brgk7aKzo2lgcLEyJXCjjbD%2BpxYP%2BJjcAHRS%2Fr4HgRp9gW%2BcgtBM%3D&checksum=25306403522939d16338a9d745599cb36d7f792e7da4

1 hour ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Thanks Stuart, that's one hang of a long web link!

Only problem here I think is my climate screen is in two parts and the listing is for just one part (unless the LCD screen is one long piece behind the display?).

I have a clock on one side and climate screen on the other - both are unreadable.

16 hours ago, oldgoldlex said:

My Lexus is now back in the driveway. 

After over two years of not seeing the car (was in storage) and some recommissioning and many pound notes later... the car is now running well again and ready for some occasional wafting!

The ECU is now fixed (special thank you to Avilec Ltd on the Isle of Wight) and the car is driving much better.  I still have a few jobs to do and I was hoping to gain some advice from other board members who have experience and knowledge with these cars (and just some general common sense advice too!).

I collected the car this afternoon from Lexus hoping to find a report of all the 'issues' or supplementary work but sadly one was not done.  They focused there time on just getting the car to run right which I understand.  I then for the first time drove the car again while on route to the pre-booked Mot.  In short the car drives great, but not perfect.

1. My air-con was supposed to have been gassed a year ago but it was blowing warm today and come to think of it I can not recall hearing the motor kick in or notice a change in revs like a/c normally does - will need to double check this.

2. Once reaching 30mph or so and above the car pulls to the left (I think) when braking.  Its a weird feeling, as the back feels like is pulling one way and then the front goes another.  Then sometimes it just feels like its the front. Strange?  This will need to be done next for sure as it feels wrong and not reassuring.

3. Hearing the odd clonk up front and on the rear.

4. The drivers window feels slow to go down.  I am wondering if its just dirt over time that has found its way in perhaps?  Never tried the others yet.

5. Climate control screen is blurry. I asked for this to be fixed by another garage and its still the same. I am sure they sent it off to a firm but its no use and unreadable.

6. Speakers - not all are working.

7. Steering is a little off centre (had asked for this to be aligned as well but not perfect enough)

8. When driving along the motorway after a few miles and on a slight incline, I felt as if the car was ever so slightly hesitant.  When under load on the incline on the motorway it would take off but as I began a little easing of pressure on the accelerator pedal it felt like it was giving a very very slight jerk or a hesitation more like.  The car had not went this sort of distance in ages right enough but just curious what that could be.

So, went for the Mot and it failed. However, just on the number plates which I will sort out for the re-test.  The rest of it was fine according to the garage.  No mention of any of my observations which surprises me a little (brakes and suspension).

That's all the main mechanical bits at the moment that are annoying me.  I would like to get these addressed as I want this car to be the best it can be.  Any advice as to where to go or what to look for etc with regards to the above is genuinely appreciated.  Too much money and time spent on it to just let it go.  I could probably of bought a much newer one or a better example with what I have paid out so far, but that is life sometimes.  Before the cars are banned completely I want to enjoy some time behind the wheel of it.

Anyway, here is a photo as it stands now.  Oh, and thank you Steve2006 for the clear indicators - they are looking rather smart!

DSC02564 (Large).JPG

DSC02544 (Large).JPG

They are STILL cracking looking cars. They have a subdued elegance. I know some will disagree but please remember ............ all other Lexus models started at the BEST!

• Like 2