Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fit aftermarket satnav and integrate into RX audiosystem

Many have said how poorly the RX satnav compares with some others and even aftermarket satnavs in some respects. Beyond this, I now find the standard one on my RX is unreliable to boot. Recently, this caused me to add many unwanted miles to my journey unnecessarily and it was only because I had my 6200 TomTom in the car (held by my wife) that the situation was retrieved. I have another long journey to make shortly, so thought I would again test the RX satnav. Before leaving my daughter's house yesterday, I entered my full address and started on the short journey home. However, about a mile and several turns away from my place, it announced “You have arrived”. I continued to my property which is one of many on a road and in an area that has had the same layout for many years. When I arrived home, I again got the message that “You have arrived”. This morning, without cancelling or changing the destination guide I went to the local shops. There were various incorrect guidance instructions given which I ignored and on arriving home no “You have arrived” was given.

Because I have lost faith in directions the RX satnav provides, I have brought forward the installation of the TomTom on a platform I have made for it although there are a few further mods I still want to do. (when all is completed I will post further details about this as it may be of interest to somebody).

At this point I seek some advice on how to integrate the TomTom with the audio system of the RX. What I am hoping to be able to do is to to interrupt and mute the radio/CD automatically when guidance instructions and various alerts are given by the TomTom. This is how it works on my BMW although instead of a TomTom it has an integrated BMW system. I am less concerned about streaming or calls from my Iphone, although this would be nice.

TomTom used to do an audio out on some earlier models but not on this Blue Tooth 6200 model and notwithstanding requests by customers to enable what I want to do, they say it can't be done as standard with their unit. Nevertheless, it has been postulated that using a satnav system designed for motor cyclists, a microphone can be attached to the satnav and the audio taken to earphones (or perhaps to a car audio system?). Then there is the system from IO as in this link which also includes the Iphone as well as satnav. It seems to have worked well for some but of course I still wish to use the RX radio and CD player. Any thoughts please?

Surely you just get an actual modern phone Bluetooth to the car and get one of those vent phone holders and use the larger modern phone say with  google maps as I do in my van which just plays through the speakers ,and takes calls etc through the vans speakers . The tom tom and that phone is a bit old school ford mondeo .

Thanks for replies.  Updating existing system seems like throwing good money after bad! 

3 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

The tom tom and that phone is a bit old school ford mondeo .

Yes, that's me too, although I haven't had a Ford for over 30 years lol.  Being retired I rarely use my Iphone which does all and more than I need!  I don't like vent secured devices or sucker retained ones which can fall off (had that happen) and the Blue tooth TomTom 6200 with free regular map updates and speed cameras suits me well and Is now securely mounted in a good position on my RX. I just have to fit a hood to complete the installation.  It's just a question of how to integrate it with the ML cd player (more old school) and radio.  Maybe an audio shop can help me. 

7 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

now securely mounted in a good position on my RX. I just have to fit a hood to complete the installation. 

I'm very intrigued by this bracket you've made Barry so can we see some photos please?

I used to use a TomTom but although I've still got it I never use it these days, preferring to use Waze or Google Maps on my phone, which I place in a CD-slot mounted holder. The TomTom used to sit bottom right of the windscreen on a sucker mount that never fell off, not even during a four-week, 4,239-mile trip around Europe, sometimes on atrocious roads and in sweltering heat.

Given that, and I mean no offence, but I'm just wondering if you've created a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist? I do love to see innovation and inventiveness though, so as I say, I'm intrigued.

cdmount3.thumb.jpg.1b9e56a18a290ed63b241e91b51feb4b.jpg

Having just watched the video for the io player I'm wondering which RX you have Brian. I'm going to assume the 300/400h model as they have a Bluetooth but not one you can stream music thru. However if I'm right regarding your car then it's easy. There are a couple of threads on here on streaming music thru Bluetooth. There's a piece of kit available that you have to plug in to the rear of the radio unit. 

Browse the forum and you should find the threads I'm on about. Once done then using something like the io player then your question is answered.

13 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Having just watched the video for the io player I'm wondering which RX you have Brian. I'm going to assume the 300/400h model as they have a Bluetooth but not one you can stream music thru. However if I'm right regarding your car then it's easy. There are a couple of threads on here on streaming music thru Bluetooth. There's a piece of kit available that you have to plug in to the rear of the radio unit. 

Browse the forum and you should find the threads I'm on about. Once done then using something like the io player then your question is answered.

Brian, who is Brian? somebody said the car in the advert was a BMW but this was just for demo purposes. My car is a 3rd Gen 2015 RX 450h similar to Herb's.  I will see what a Pro car audio shop says they can do re connectivity. I am not good on car electrics, although I rewired my house years ago.

Hi Herbs,

Pics can save a lot of words ,so I will post some with details and why I prefer my solution, even if it is over-engineered!

Ooooops sorry Barry my bad. So you have a 3rd gen RX450H with ML. I had a 3rd gen 450h f sport with ML and I could play anything thru my speakers via Bluetooth or line in. 

Does the Bluetooth work in your car? Have you connected your phone for instance? But you can't connect your tomtom via Bluetooth? If a phone connects then the tomtom has a fault. Check these points out before seeing a car hifi shop.

5 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

Maybe Barry really is Brian and he drives a mark 2 cortina with a lolly stick for a key and a 8 track but found himself in his carers lexus muttering what's all this electrickery this be the devils work 📻🤐

Ha ha, like it!! But now you've got me confused as to who I am (looks in mirror). Did have an 8 track in a 1966 300SE M Benz many many years ago, the only other car I've had with one or air suspension.  Had a look at a mobility scooters considering what might follow the Lexus!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Ooooops sorry Barry my bad. So you have a 3rd gen RX450H with ML. I had a 3rd gen 450h f sport with ML and I could play anything thru my speakers via bluetooth or line in. 

Does the bluetooth work in your car? Have you connected your phone for instance? But you can't connect your tomtom via bluetooth? If a phone connects then the tomtom has a fault. Check these points out before seeing a car hifi shop.

Thank you for your import. To be honest I have not got round to pair the Iphone to the car yet but have no reason to think it won't.  The info I got about the TomTom Go 6200 not having the connectivity I want came from  several  sites.  This is one from a  TomTom support site saying it' won't work https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1110906/is-it-possible-to-play-tomtom-go-6200-sound-over-car-audio

I will get my Grandson to see if he can come up with a workaround - he's just got his IT degree.

Barry

I don't like the idea of obscuring instrumentation or sticking mounts into vents (which I am sure Lexus did not intend.)  My solution was to mount my TomTom as shown in the pics. For Herbs and anybody else who is curious. I made a platform of 3mm thick aluminium with cut out in shape of vent on top of dash. it is attached to 2 bearers of rectangular 40x20mm  aluminium box, 2mm thick. There is a 3mm 90 degree angle to which an alternative TomTom mount is bolted.  Milliput modelling epoxy was used to get the shape along the bearers with  a 3mm thick aluminium face plate that helped establish the extent of the Milliput. This plate was stuck in place with Epoxy 151. I also used Milliput to close off the end of each bearer (although this was not essential)  The bearers were  each secured with two rows of industrial quality 3M double sided tape, so total contact could be made between them and the top of the dash. Pictures show the platform on it's side prior to installation,  and with the Nav in place. I beefed up the TomTom mount with Milliput and locked it in the optimum position for me. I have  a matte glass film (obtained from Germany) to add along with a hood I will be modifying. When I eventually trade the car for a mobility scooter the buyer can either keep the platform as it is, use it to secure a phone or it could be removed with fishing line or piano wire like the old glued windscreen rubbers are cut loose.

I made a mock up out of wood and ply to start with to ensure there would be sufficient space  all round and am  pleased with the  result. now seen.  I have an uninterrupted view through the windscreen (although this may not appear to be so in pic) and have only to make the slightest eye movement to see the screen  whilst keeping the  road ahead in my peripheral vision.  There remains the matter of connectivity to resolve.

1477014401_IMG_1205.JPG001(1).thumb.JPG.2191faaed9ad1b41746be672b1cd3758.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG 009.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG 009.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG 009.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry for duplication of Pic - couldn't edit it out

IMG_1205.JPG 009.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG 009.JPG

IMG_1205.JPG 001 (1).JPG

Edited by Barry14UK
Duplication
  • Like 2

Very nice Barry but how/where does the TT fix to the bracket and the bracket fix to the car?

I'm assuming the TT sits on the plate but not sure how the whole thing sticks to the dash?

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Very nice Barry but how/where does the TT fix to the bracket and the bracket fix to the car?

I'm assuming the TT sits on the plate but not sure how the whole thing sticks to the dash?

Instead of using the standard suction mount that comes with the TomTom Go 6200 (which I did look into but rejected for a couple of reasons), I used an alternative mount available for the model viz https://www.navigation-accessories.uk/sat-nav-tomtom/tomtom-go-6200-tomtom-fixed-installation-xxdock-f.-tomtom-go-6200.php?sPartner=gguk# So it bolts on vertically to a near vertical upright. formed by angle that is in turn bolted to my platform. I dispensed with the 4 puny self tappers  that came with it and bolted it to my angle  upright with 4 x 4mm stainless screws with 7mm heads and washers to spread the load and nyloc nuts.  So in need the mount can be unbolted.  Here it helps to have the platform and rear bearer extend and fix further back on the dash and also be attached to the dash there because the nav projects forward in front of the front bearer and a lot of leverage  occurs when the nav is detached from the magnetic mount. I filled in interior of the mount with Milliput where hollow.  Also, I thought the neck  onto which the ball articulates in the mount socket was rather weak, so I reinforced this externally to include the ball and socket again using Milliput. ( I had previously driven around with all in place in different directions to check how best to avoid glare,) This means the ball will not move in the socket to alter screen angle but the standard Lexus screen can't be moved anyway so no loss there. All is finished in black matte and does not reflect in the screen which was a concern.

It might have been easier to see if I had taken pic while it was still in grey etching primer before spraying matte black but to answer your query re fixing, the platform is bolted to the the 2 rectangular bearers and it is the undersides of these boxes that are secured by the 3M tape.  The Milliput  packing largely under the front bearer adheres very well to aluminium and I was able to sculpt it and grind it to the profile of the front of the dash which took some time, before applying the tape.  With the benefit of hindsight ,I could have just used the 151 Epoxy to stick rather than bolt the aluminium parts together, as I did for the plate across the front, which would have been neater.  But this was a prototype  and a challenge with which I am happy how it turned out, although not wishingto  repeat lol as it involved a lot more work than is apparent.

PS  I have no connection with 2 part Epoxy Milliput, although I have previously used it for other purposes and you can wet it to help shape it, saw it, drill it and paint it when set and it becomes impervious to water.