Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX400h Catalytic Converter Thefts

I have a 2007 RX400h and had the Cat stolen.

Is it against the law to replace the cat with a straight throgh pipe? Would it damage the engine? Would it cause it to fail the MOT. Can you get aftermarket cats for this model.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I don't know if it's illegal but it's certainly irresponsible.

The cat is there to get rid of the dangerous, noxious fumes that are harmful to humans and to the environment in general, so if you have kids and want their future to be greener than ours then I think you know you should get it replaced soon as.

Having said that, hybrid cars are not subject to emissions testing in the MOT, so make of that what you will.

Just yesterday someone else on here posted that their cat had been nicked too and mentioned a device called a 'Catloc' (Linky) so may be worth fitting one of these when you have the cat replaced.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just had my catalytic converter stolen today. Lexus RX400h bought 2 weeks back. What’s the point of investing in another cat for £1000 atleast to have it stolen again! What other solutions are there apart from catlock as they aren’t guaranteed either. There’s no question of a garage as I live in central london.

8 minutes ago, Tvpaka said:

Just had my catalytic converter stolen today. Lexus RX400h bought 2 weeks back. What’s the point of investing in another cat for £1000 atleast to have it stolen again! What other solutions are there apart from catlock as they aren’t guaranteed either. There’s no question of a garage as I live in central london.

Just search the forum as there are about four different threads with various suggestions, like the one below. I have to say that with so many thefts happening I'm changing my mind about it being irresponsible to not replace it and now favour a dummy cat replacement.

Just buy a dummy cat of eBay and have that fitted you have another two cats below the exhaust manifolds . It will be fine no you won't get into trouble no it won't fail its mot no you won't go to hell yes you will be frowned upon by the Lexus massive .one love 

• Like 1