Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Which suitable 12v battery brand for replacement

KWCT200h

26 minutes ago, -Rich- said:

Well the 12v battery in our CT was dead this morning. It's been 3 weeks since I last used it, I hadn't realised, otherwise I would've started the car up to charge it.

Hopefully I can jump start it with the booster when I get home otherwise I'll be crawling in to the boot again to open it!

I'm certain it's the original battery so is 10 years old now. This did happen in the first lockdown too but has been fine since a recharge using my ctek. It's probably time to replace it though!

10 years for a Battery. Fantastic. If this is what the original batteries can last, we will not need a new till October 2026.

Never had a Battery lasting that long. On the other side only had one car for such a long time. Only remember having bought 2 batteries for cars and that is out of having had more than 20.

Couldn't jump start it so had to crawl in to the boot! Got the Battery out and it was reading 9v! 😒 Label says 3rd December 2010 so it's done well but then it's not exactly put under a lot of stress. I've got it on charge so will see what happens.

I'm concerned there was a lot of condensation around and on the Battery, and panels with a tiny amount pooled on the floor. I'm hoping it's not a leak and just where it's not been used for 3 weeks and couldn't dry out.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:53 PM, -Rich- said:

I'm concerned there was a lot of condensation around and on the battery

Same here noticed on a brand-new Yuasa Battery that just went in. Haven't noticed any pools though. Still got surprised as I recall reading somewhere how well it's ventilated around the hybrid system Battery to prevent it from overheating and thought that'd mean no sweating in the whole boot anymore... apparently that's not the case.

• 8 months later...
On 9/16/2019 at 12:37 PM, Britprius said:

Exide make an AGM battery of the correct size with the correct size and layout of terminals. They are sold under the title of "Exide Edge". 
The cranking amps do not matter with a hybrid since the battery is not used for cranking the engine. Virtually all batteries of the physical size of that fitted in the CT200H have a 45 amp hour capacity, and it is the AH capacity that matters for hybrid vehicles.
There is however a battery that will fit is an AGM and has a capacity of over 60 AH. The down side is that it comes with different terminals to the standard post type. This however is not really a problem.

The battery I refer to is made for mobility scooters from a number of manufacturers including Lucas, and are priced at circa £100. I used one in my Prius "the CT is a Prius in different clothes"

Normal car batteries of the same size can be fitted without problems, and are available for circa £45. The difference is that they contain more liquid acid than an AGM battery. So if the battery is damaged in an accident there is the remote possibility of rear seat passengers being splashed with dilute acid because the battery is carried under the floor of the boot.
AGM stands for "absorbed glass mat" where the liquid acid is held in a 90% saturated mat between the plates rather like a sponge so there is little chance of acid escape. 
The downside of AGM batteries is that they can dry out faster than "flooded standard car batteries" because they have no reserves of liquid acid as does standard car batteries.

John.

So why not get an AGM Battery which is the correct material as opposed to a mammoth Cold Crank

• 9 months later...
On 3/8/2021 at 10:42 AM, dandreye said:

Same here noticed on a brand-new Yuasa battery that just went in. Haven't noticed any pools though. Still got surprised as I recall reading somewhere how well it's ventilated around the hybrid system battery to prevent it from overheating and thought that'd mean no sweating in the whole boot anymore... apparently that's not the case.

Where did you buy adapter from for the vents on the Battery and the plug? I bought the same Battery and now I don't have the vent plugged in. Isn't it just water/steam that comes out of these?

On 3/5/2021 at 11:16 AM, Las Palmas said:

10 years for a battery. Fantastic. If this is what the original batteries can last, we will not need a new till October 2026.

Never had a battery lasting that long. On the other side only had one car for such a long time. Only remember having bought 2 batteries for cars and that is out of having had more than 20.

How long a Battery lasts depends on how often the car is used on long runs.

If your car sits on the drive for 6 months it will never work again.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links