Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

LS 460 Bonnet/Hood release inoperative!

Hi Guys, after a few weeks of trouble free motoring of my new to me LS 460 I have encountered my first issue. I tried to open the Bonnet yesterday only to find that the release lever did not pop open the bonnet 😨. I stepped out to see if the bonnet was ajar and it was still firmly in place. I thought I'd have another go but knew that the cable was out of the mechanism as the lever was limp. I thought I'd ask the forum whether they have experienced or heard of the most straightforward solution. I think that I may just have to hack open the grille (avoiding the radar sensor) and unbolt the lock? Any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry I do not know the solution but I would take it to my local Lexus main agent and ask for their advice. It would cost you nothing and they might be at least be willing to let you know what you are up against.

• Like 1

Thanks, Alan unfortunately It wasn't from a dealer. I have been in touch with the guys at Toyotek who have said they think they can access the cable and mechanism if they remove the underbody covers. They say a couple of hours of labour should cover replacing the cable (if necessary) and they will come back to me with the cost of a replacement cable too.  

• Like 1

The very word "Hack" fills me with terror , do not use brute force and ignorance check diagamatic blow ups of installation check  the US forum and if all else fails train a squirrel to get in and pull the catch.

• Like 1

might be worth inspecting the catch and if the cable is visible try to pull it with a pair of long nose pliers

I haven to say I've never heard of this problem on the 460 - its more common on the pre-facelift 430s

good luck 

• Like 1

Thanks, Phil for tempering my Leatherface and uncouth instincts 🙂 I will have a look around the US forums and consider the Squirrell-fiddling too 😀

4 hours ago, S1MNN said:

but knew that the cable was out of the mechanism as the lever was limp.

I don't know but are you sure there is an actual physical cable etc and it is not just an electronic gizmo that does the releasing ?

Malc

Hi Malc,

From what Toyotek have said since the original post I believe, the lever has the cable attached. You have raised a good point though and I have just edited this post having looked up the lever part and it looks like it holds the cable:

image.thumb.png.30aa4ba676d123454fc465fd240d58b9.png

image.thumb.png.8b107f14a675794de16067ffa15d4117.png

image.thumb.png.21cc5bed45b86427871b57e7c69254c1.png

So, on returning home from the school run yesterday afternoon I noticed the bonnet was ajar! I opened the bonnet fully and inspected the bonnet release catch and mechanism. I cleaned it and added some oil and closed the bonnet. However, the same issue occurred when trying to reopen. I carefully retried the bonnet release lever several times until I heard and felt that 'Click' when opening the bonnet. The bonnet was still in the closed position but I managed to open it by pulling it up. I then closed has had to go through the same process of using the release lever until I felt the 'Click'. So I now wonder if this may be an issue where the tension of the cable may need adjustment? I am really unsure but will be getting this looked into asap. I will keep you updated, of course and thank you all for your input and assistance.

Looking at the catch mechanism I suspect there is no adjustment, the cabin end is a slot in cable with a crimped stop that settles in the Nylon funnel.

The cable at sometime as got frozen in its outer or the mechanism for the bonnet fastening as been stuck with gunge and the stress of pulling on the leaver as pulled the end down the nylon funnel therefore taking the tension out of the cable.

I suspect the only solution is a new cable and indeed a new cable attachment part in the cabin if it is a seperate part to the lever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

Looking at the catch mechanism I suspect there is no adjustment, the cabin end is a slot in cable with a crimped stop that settles in the Nylon funnel.

The cable at sometime as got frozen in its outer or the mechanism for the bonnet fastening as been stuck with gunge and the stress of pulling on the leaver as pulled the end down the nylon funnel therefore taking the tension out of the cable.

I suspect the only solution is a new cable and indeed a new cable attachment part in the cabin if it is a seperate part to the lever.

Hi Phil, thank you for your advice. I will get the ball rolling on this work.