Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Insuring a 2nd gen GS 300: More difficult than I thought...

rich1068

You may or may not be aware that I've done a deal with a member on here to relieve them of their '02 GS 300.

But getting realistic insurance quotes seems to be proving problematic. Funniest one so far being just short of 1200 quid from our friends Adrian Flux. The response I'm getting seems to be it's too new for classic status, isn't considered a "modern classic" whatever that means, it's not worth much and has a reputation for being expensive to fix.

Now in my opinion at least two of those excuses are BS so has anyone else had this problem? Who are you insuring yours with? I know this is a little bit how long is a piece of string but the sticking point seems to be the car not the owner. I had originally intended to put it on the Saab 9-3 policy as I did when I briefly owned the 9000 but that's a non-starter. Footman James just won't touch the Lexus.

Anyone?

have you tried comparison websites by any chance? i remember reading a blog sometime ago about best times to get insurance quotes like doing it out of office hours like from 7pm rather than office hours, buying it 30 days before, not getting quotes on weekends.. now how true this is i don't know as anyone can type anything on the net these days...

I normally stay well clear of comparison sites but yes I have. Even then the results weren't that good.

Best quote so far was going direct to... Saga. Not sure how I feel about that :sad:

It appears that as far as the insurance world is concerned the GS 300 is quite unloved.

• 3 months later...

Im in the same Boat.

Sold my SC430 which is was a third car car to get a TVR.

Bought another first gen GS300 cos i love them and the insurance quotes are double what they where on the SC. 

Has does that work out? 

On 9/19/2019 at 7:34 PM, rich1068 said:

Best quote so far was going direct to... Saga. Not sure how I feel about that :sad:

Go for it! They are offering to 'freeze' the premium for three years (well they have on the policy I took out on the RC300h. They were cheaper by far than my Direct Line renewal and any other quote on the web)

• Like 1

I let my NCB lapse in 2010. 

Despite being continually insured without any claims of any sort, i have had all my policies since then on Classic car insurance which doesnt take NCB into consideration. 

I currently have 8 years NCB on our Motorhome policy but that apparently pales into insignificance. 

Im just an old bloke with an affliction to Rusty old BL stuff and the first gen GS. Seems like its a serious crime in the insurance world. 

On 9/19/2019 at 7:34 PM, rich1068 said:

I normally stay well clear of comparison sites but yes I have. Even then the results weren't that good.

It appears that as far as the insurance world is concerned the GS 300 is quite unloved.

I have been with Saga for nearly 3 years, and am now in the process of making a no fault claim "see my post Rear door damage".
I can honestly say that they have dealt with my claim in a speedy, professional, courteous, and helpful manor. Compared with other companies I have had dealings with in the past Saga are on another planet.
They have arranged a loan car "Mercedes C class" that I can use for the duration of the claim, and if my car is written off I can keep the loan car for 5 days after I receive the settlement check. They have also arranged free insurance for the loan car with no excess should I damage that vehicle.

The premium they charged for my insurance was way cheaper than any other company, and also had a lower excess. The Premium at renewal also only went up by very small amounts not the usual that will be £150 more this year sir.

John.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links