Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I need to replace some of my exhaust before it fails. I think the problem is just upstream of the Y piece but at 12 years and 130+k miles the Y piece and back boxes should be replaced too.

I know Tony Banks in Leeds is highly thought of on these forums but it would mean an overnight trip from Oxford.

Is there anyone in my part of the country who would be able to do the job?

John

9 hours ago, kayble said:

I've got a Tony Banks exhaust on my car - it's a +1 for them from me - sorry!

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Another +1 for Tony from me too. He should be able to sort out within the day but you would need to get there first thing - bit of a trek but he has always got a few Lexi in 😉

11 hours ago, OldTrout said:

I know Tony Banks in Leeds is highly thought of on these forums but it would mean an overnight trip from Oxford.

Can't offer any suggestions on getting the exhaust done, but we can offer you overnight accommodation not too far from Leeds, if it would help?

• Like 1

Had mine done, cat back, at a place in Shrewsbury yesterday.  I had a custom made stainless system, as quiet as they could make it.  Driving home yesterday it was a little un lexus like, a bit of a grunt.  I can live with it considering the price a lexus system would have cost me.  It was £650 as they had to cut right back to one cat and sort out one sensor. The standard cat back would have been £600. Mark.

20 hours ago, Upex said:

I'd recommend longlife, there is one in basingstoke I think. Not used that branch before (Cardiff) but mine were top notch

Robert,

Thanks. Basingstoke is not far. Did you mean you had yours done at Cardiff? (Long way from Norfolk.

When I am staying in Wales Cardiff Longlife is not far and it get much better review than Basingstoke or even Swansea.

John

Hi John. If I had got a ramp I would have made one for you, but I am getting to much back trouble to do it lying down now.

Is Worcester any good for you to get to? I can dig out the details of the place I got my exhaust parts from as they also do a fitting service.

John.

Guys,

Thank you for the generous and helpful offers and suggestions. I am very touched.

On Friday I went to my MOT garage to ask if they would fit bits if I supplied them. (The Britprius list!) They put the car on the ramp to have a look and said it would be OK for at least another year. They also noticed some other small repairs that were made before I bought it. The garage don't want to get involved in exhaust repairs. They also did not know of anybody who might do an exhaust so Tony Banks is still favourite. I think the Banks website has changed as I'm sure I had seen prices for a Mk3 GS450h like £350 or for bigger system £450. I can't find any prices now.

I will investigate 304 Stainless Exhaust Parts in Worcester as they not only supply bit but also fit them.

In the meantime as my problems are most likely between the resonator box and its flange I'm tempted add a couple of little braces from pipe to box and then cover it with Fibrefix heat wrap (https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=fiberfix). Perhaps if there is some wrap some left over, I will also reinforce the Y piece. Got to be worth £10 and my time?

John

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay john manic busy 🙄

I lived and worked in south wales for several years, hence knew the cardiff long life centre. They did a few complete custom exhausts for cars I was I fitting out with ICE installs and all customers were very happy with results, and there were some high end cars and not so much, full range.

I had a little bit done by them on a few cars and also very happy.

If you're in Cardiff now and again, sounds like its be worth popping in for a chat and price etc.

Re the tape reinforcement, cant do any harm, apart from making it a mess (ie not easy to remove for future work) but if going to replace vs repair, wont be an issue I guess.

Good luck though, hope it gets sorted, let us know how you get on.

Upex 

Hi John,

I've got an appointment with Tony Banks on 19.11 9am to change the whole exhaust system as I couldn't find anyone around my area ( Peterborough) who can do that. My local  Lexus main dealer quoted me a price of nearly £900 just for both back silencers and Y pipe + gasket and bolts 🤕 sounds crazy I know 😬 Tony Banks offer is custom made stainless steel exhaust system + labour £650. There some lads I know here around my place who also have there exhausts done by Tony and to be honest they not only sound great but look awesome too.

Will upload some pics after the job's done 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 10:18 AM, OldTrout said:

I do go by Cardiff from time to time

If on way to Cardiff pop off M4 at junction 18, and 3 minutes away is Infinity Exhausts, they did Y-piece replacement for my LS a few years back.

They will do total replace or repair (using T304) as required. 

Infinity