Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacement RX450h, which model?

Looking to exchange my 2009 RX450h with over 100k on for the new shape 2016 onwards, which has just come within my budget. I've had my car for 3 years now and really enjoyed its ability to swallow anything and drive long distances as easily as it gets around town. However I haven't enjoyed the bumpy ride and the fuel economy at 30mpg could be better. The seats are a bit too soft as well, the ones on a new IS I had for a drive recently far superior in terms of support.

My car is the SE-I and I'd like to go for a new model with low miles and keep it for a few years at least. I've read a few posts on here and the ride seems to differ depending on which model. I assume one still has air and the other sprung? I need to drive a few but any pointers as to what would give a better, sharper ride on country lanes would be appreciated.

Can anyone explain the different spec on the new shape as well? Ideally after a panoramic roof but are there any other must-haves? Conversely are there any problems to look out for or spec to avoid? ANy colour other than white.

Is the MPG improved at all - my driving is only about 8k a year mixed 50/50 between rural and motorway.

Thanks

I’m no expert on the 4RX but I don’t think that  air suspension was offered on this series.  I think Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS) was fitted as standard to the top spec Premier or later Takumi cars and was an option possible standard on the F Sport models ?( please correct me if I’m wrong ).

We have AVS fitted to our GSF and  whilst I don’t have an issue with the ride on our 3RX F Sport, the ride is smoother in the GSF in normal mode. 

Good luck with the search. I hope to upgrade our RX  to the latest model in the future. 

• Like 1

When I fist looked at an RX at Exeter, I was told that air suspension had been dropped from the 4th Generation.  Whether this was due to the number of failures and the high cost of replacement or whether Lexus felt it was not necessary with the latest generation was not clear. 

The smoother ride of the 4th Gen RX is to be welcomed because apart from the much criticised Nav in the 3rd Gen  (much better in 4th Gen?), the ride over anything more than smooth roads is rather disappointing.  Well, also the side rear view  is somewhat obstructed by the 'B' pillar to be honest.  However, the 3rd Gen is more compact and the 4th Gen too avant-garde for my taste but each to his own

I like the 3RX a lot, it's size is just right, smaller and easier to manoeuver than an Rangerover for example, and better in many ways. The same whem compared to an X5 and without the image problem. However the bouncy ride and body roll on country lanes is now a bit much. I could take one, without the other perhaps.nI'm not a huge fan of the styling of the 4RX but am coming round to the fact it might be the way forward. However we are conscious that it is a bit bigger.

We were wondering about buying an 2015 model of the 3RX with all the updates done, with the air suspension as another possibility, but I'm concerned it might not be an improvement - any thoughts? Also they are quite steep in price and the jump to the new model is quite low.