Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Seized Blind Pin on Rear Caliper

SexyLexi

Hello all!

As you can see from the photo my lower rear caliper pin on each side is seized into the caliper.

Would the heat from a flame help release this along with a hammer? i dont want to strip the threads for the blind pin

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

IMG_20190918_181520.jpg

If the caliper is in that position there are one of two things:

1. The pin has freed from the caliper mounting itself (it is bolted on) but i cant see a way if it is free like that for you to remove it 

2. The pin is free in the housing and needs a bit of rocking back and forward to ease the caliper off.

Heat may help but be careful not to damage the rubber boot. Try tapping the caliper with a metal hammer to see it it will budge but not too hard but I suspect from the picture and what you have described that if the bolts loose then its a garage job - more than likely a new caliper

To get it to that position was it tight? Did it feel like the pin was undoing? I am not sure how these are threaded, whether they are reverse threaded - maybe someone will shed some light on this... if reverse threaded then you might be lucky and manage to get it removed with a bit of force.

You should be greasing these at least once a year - its a known issue with the calipers (do both front and backs). If not done then this is the result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the side that i took the photo it is loose because i can see the thread twisting as i move the caliper, it just wont slide off so maybe some heat on the caliper and a hammer will get it off.

Although at the other side it is solid after ive taken the top caliper bolt off, i can lever it down but its solid.

Im afraid of destroying the threads for the bottom pin to screw into if i hammer the caliper, have people cut these bottom pins off before with a grinder to replace them?

Happened on  mine about a year ago. I spent a whole afternoon tapping it back and forth with a hammer but it refused to give.

Ended up giving it to a garage who didn't even bother trying to free it, they just changed the whole caliper.

Drill the caliper at the end of the seized pin. Fit a grease nipple "you can use the knock in type" then use a grease gun to hydraulic the caliper off the pin..
The grease nipple can be used afterwards to keep it lubricated.

John.

Sounds like a plan!

Im not sure how i feel about the 2-3 hours of hammering though

Where would be best to hammer? The side of the caliper where the pin slides into or hammer the caliper bracket while supporting the caliper for it to come apart?

Really trying to keep the threads on the pin good to save buying another.

Done.

I may or may not have went with a different approach..

But its done.

But now..... I have a squeak between 10-30mph since changing all the pads constantly while driving.. anything anyone can think of before i head out to take a look?

Thanks all 🙂

IMG_20190928_104645.jpg

IMG_20190928_104635.jpg

IMG_20190928_085216.jpg

IMG_20190928_092242.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well done getting your caliper off and free'd up.

I ended up replacing my caliper when this happened to me, however I now have the old one free'd up and am fitting new slide pins to sell it on (sold).

Can anyone tell me which way around the boots shown in the pic below go please? I am working on the caliper off the car and my mum has borrowed the car for Xmas so cannot look for reference.

Is the bigger boot for the top or the bottom pin?

And can anyone describe which way around it should go please? I can see the bigger boot has 2 collars, one fatter than the other.

Thanks, Bill

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/23/2019 at 2:41 PM, Billnick said:

Well done getting your caliper off and free'd up.

I ended up replacing my caliper when this happened to me, however I now have the old one free'd up and am fitting new slide pins to sell it on (sold).

Can anyone tell me which way around the boots shown in the pic below go please? I am working on the caliper off the car and my mum has borrowed the car for Xmas so cannot look for reference.

Is the bigger boot for the top or the bottom pin?

And can anyone describe which way around it should go please? I can see the bigger boot has 2 collars, one fatter than the other.

Thanks, Bill

s-l1600.jpg

Glad you got it sorted and sold your spares!

I bought the exact same kit as that from eBay and i wasnt able to use the bigger boot (for top pin) because it was a tiny bit too small on the inside (top pin wouldnt pass through) so just had to reuse old boot with new pin