Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Rx400H Catalytic Converter Theft


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Thanks for the Link. Do you have any idea of the quality of these? Also if I ordered the Cat would it be a simple fit ( no idea if they caused more damage from the picture).

I contacted  my Insurance and they will fix, 2.5k from Lexus if a simple job. I have £300 excess plus possible increase in premium though I have protected no claims 17 years, so thinking about the correct course of action.

 

Thanks again.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

Thanks for the Link. Do you have any idea of the quality of these? Also if I ordered the Cat would it be a simple fit ( no idea if they caused more damage from the picture).

I contacted  my Insurance and they will fix, 2.5k from Lexus if a simple job. I have £300 excess plus possible increase in premium though I have protected no claims 17 years, so thinking about the correct course of action.

Sorry Andrew, I have no idea what they're like as (thankfully) I've never needed to buy one but they must be alright or the guy wouldn't have any customers.

From other posts on here I think the cost of buying and fitting was somewhere around £350 to £400 so no point involving the insurance. It can't be a difficult job as it's basically only a device that fits to a pipe at either end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

What about the poisonous emissions? MOT due in December so not long.

Hybrids are not tested for emissions but will fail if the cat is missing, so you'll have to have your new one on for the test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Herbie said:

Sorry Andrew, I have no idea what they're like as (thankfully) I've never needed to buy one but they must be alright or the guy wouldn't have any customers.

From other posts on here I think the cost of buying and fitting was somewhere around £350 to £400 so no point involving the insurance. It can't be a difficult job as it's basically only a device that fits to a pipe at either end.

I have decided to go for a metal one as opposed to the ceramic  a Magnaflow Zeller metal. The only Issue I see is where they have cut is around 15 inches gap and the CAT is around 12 inches, so I guess I will need to get 3 inch or so length of piping. I considered going the Lexus route via Insurance but the cost is high and even worse they would come back and possibly do the same thing.

 

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Andre2000 said:

Hi

Where can I get a Cat as mine was cut and stolen yesterday. I know Lexus would be very expensive.

20190919_141822.jpg

well they cut more of yours off than mine... looks like they also cut off a small weight that fits round the exhaust too... probably wont make any difference

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Update: I took the car to Lexus today for the timing belt at 10 years, and upon questionning (and i've had a few discussions with them), Lexus have lowered the price of the replacement cat exhaust section (the entire piece of the exhaust, not just the cat.... I was quoted 1200 + vat (and probably fitting), and now it has been reduced to about £700 - not sure about the VAT and fitting.

However, that still poses a better option - 40-50% reduction. Had that have been the case, my choice may have been to go back to Lexus for an original part. Still poses risk of repeat theft, but just fit a Cat guard.

Also makes the used market supply from breakers pointless, as those were the quotes I got for used...

 

Oh, and they still don't have any available for a few weeks, they are on back order. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, phb10186 said:

Update: I took the car to Lexus today for the timing belt at 10 years, and upon questionning (and i've had a few discussions with them), Lexus have lowered the price of the replacement cat exhaust section (the entire piece of the exhaust, not just the cat.... I was quoted 1200 + vat (and probably fitting), and now it has been reduced to about £700 - not sure about the VAT and fitting.

However, that still poses a better option - 40-50% reduction. Had that have been the case, my choice may have been to go back to Lexus for an original part. Still poses risk of repeat theft, but just fit a Cat guard.

Also makes the used market supply from breakers pointless, as those were the quotes I got for used...

 

Oh, and they still don't have any available for a few weeks, they are on back order. 

I rang Lexus sidcup and she told me to factor in around 2.5k. I thanked her and promptly put the phone down and went to plan B. She also stated a month waiting for stock..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, phb10186 said:

Update: I took the car to Lexus today for the timing belt at 10 years, and upon questionning (and i've had a few discussions with them), Lexus have lowered the price of the replacement cat exhaust section (the entire piece of the exhaust, not just the cat.... I was quoted 1200 + vat (and probably fitting), and now it has been reduced to about £700 - not sure about the VAT and fitting.

However, that still poses a better option - 40-50% reduction. Had that have been the case, my choice may have been to go back to Lexus for an original part. Still poses risk of repeat theft, but just fit a Cat guard.

Also makes the used market supply from breakers pointless, as those were the quotes I got for used...

 

Oh, and they still don't have any available for a few weeks, they are on back order. 

I rang Lexus sidcup and she told me to factor in around 2.5k. I thanked her and promptly put the phone down and went to plan B. She also stated a month waiting for stock..

 

 I also got in touch with some breakers..£700 inc VAT I was quoted for something that is 10+ years old. No thanks.

 

Interesting that they have now reduced the price. But no stock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Andre2000 said:

I rang Lexus sidcup and she told me to factor in around 2.5k. I thanked her and promptly put the phone down and went to plan B. She also stated a month waiting for stock..

 

 I also got in touch with some breakers..£700 inc VAT I was quoted for something that is 10+ years old. No thanks.

Ring Lexus Hatfield and ask to speak to Dale - I had the discussion with him yesterday about the cat cost when booking my car in for the timing belt today... once you have his quote, go to your nearest dealer and present them with it. All the dealers are ordering the same part off the same system from Lexus, and they are on back order from Japan due the sheer numbers... worth a call i'd say.

Tell him you just spoke to Ben with the Silver 400h that's in there now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

I would just get a slip on flexi pipe for now and fit the new cat on mot day then refit the flexi slip on .

you cant - the pipe diameter to the cat is 60mm, and the one coming out of it is 50mm (or the reverse, I can't remember) - but a standard flexi pipe will not fit.

Plus de-cat is not legal, and they don't emission test hybrids anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, phb10186 said:

Ring Lexus Hatfield and ask to speak to Dale - I had the discussion with him yesterday about the cat cost when booking my car in for the timing belt today... once you have his quote, go to your nearest dealer and present them with it. All the dealers are ordering the same part off the same system from Lexus, and they are on back order from Japan due the sheer numbers... worth a call i'd say.

Tell him you just spoke to Ben with the Silver 400h that's in there now.

I think I would still go for an Universal part primarily because they will just come back and steal it again. Also I have already embarked upon another supplier so it’s on the way. I wonder where they sell these stolen catalytic converters and what they get for them. I presume the after market ones have no value for the thieves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

I think I would still go for an Universal part primarily because they will just come back and steal it again. Also I have already embarked upon another supplier so it’s on the way. I wonder where they sell these stolen catalytic converters and what they get for them. I presume the after market ones have no value for the thieves.

Fair - that was my decision too, based on the original quote from Lexus. They could steal a genuine replacement part, but you can buy securing locks now, which probably work.

No idea where they sell these platinum based cats... I bet they go on containers abroad somewhere... or scrap metal dealers - who knows. Google indicated £40-80 scrap platinum value... which if you look at the cost of platinum means there is about 1-3g of the stuff in there.

Aftermarket ones are ceramic, not platinum based - so no value, assuming the thieves know the difference.

Cant see any reason why an aftermarket one isn't fine, unless you are in warranty, or specifically have some anxiety about not fitting a more expensive option from Lexus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

I wonder where they sell these stolen catalytic converters and what they get for them.

In a way you already answered that question.

30 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

I also got in touch with some breakers..£700 inc VAT I was quoted for something that is 10+ years old.

There are plenty of people around who never question where used parts come from.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

In a way you already answered that question.

There are plenty of people around who never question where used parts come from.

all my used quotes were for the entire exhaust section (as specified by me)... mirroring your thoughts. they tend to be 500-800 used. Anyone quoting for just the cat section should probably be reported.

We could possibly be looking at supplier-induced demand!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, phb10186 said:

all my used quotes were for the entire exhaust section (as specified by me)... mirroring your thoughts. they tend to be 500-800 used. Anyone quoting for just the cat section should probably be reported.

We could possibly be looking at supplier-induced demand!

Catalytic Converter £508.00
 
spacer.gif
 
VAT £101.60
 
spacer.gif
 
Delivery 2-3 Days
 
spacer.gif
 
Total price £609.60
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

does anyone know the rough dimensions of a genuine Lexus replacement cat?

I'm looking for the right size catloc to fit over it the new one...I've decided to make a claim on my insurance and I've asked the garage who are fixing it to also fit the catloc to stop them coming back a 2nd time!

thinking of going for a catloc 1001 or catloc 1002. any advice appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How much of the pipe does the catlock cover ,surely they will just cut it further up the pipe then any cables etc as well battery powered disc cutter will slice through anything you bolt on .i don't think they are worried about being seen or heard .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

See following link for pic

https://www.sussexinstallations.co.uk/products/hellingly/specialist/catloc-cat1001-1.html

4 hours ago, Lager shandy said:

How much of the pipe does the catlock cover ,surely they will just cut it further up the pipe then any cables etc as well battery powered disc cutter will slice through anything you bolt on .i don't think they are worried about being seen or heard .

 

See following link for pic

https://www.sussexinstallations.co.uk/products/hellingly/specialist/catloc-cat1001-1.html

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




  • Join The Club

    Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

  • Topics

  • Our picks

    • 10 years of Lexus design: from spindle grille to spindle body
      After 10 years as a defining style feature of every new Lexus model, the famous spindle grille is undergoing a transformation. In tune with a new era of electrified vehicles, the distinctive shape is evolving into a new “spindle body,” as seen on the upcoming new generation Lexus RX SUV and the all-electric RZ.

      The spindle grille has been an unmistakeable Lexus feature since it was first revealed on the LF-Gh concept model of 2011, the basis for the fourth generation GS executive saloon that was launched the following year. Since then, it has been constantly adapted to suit the character of each successive Lexus model, with different mesh patterns, dimensions and finishes.


      Speaking at the time of the grille’s debut, the then Head of Lexus Kiyotake Ise said: “You should be able to identify a car as a Lexus immediately… Instant visual recognition, for example, is the reason behind our spindle grille. It may look aggressive at first glance, that’s intentional, but it also conveys its boldness with sophistication and elegance.”


      It has progressed to become a hallmark expression of Lexus’s L-finesse design, adopted not only for road-going cars, but also incorporated in the futuristic Skyjet spacecraft created for the Lexus-supported movie Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and adopted as a design motif in the Loft, the award-winning Lexus and Brussels Airlines lounge at Brussels Airport.


      Today, the original grille concept is the starting point for a more radical application of the spindle shape in which it becomes an integral part of the vehicle’s overall design. This “spindle body” approach is part of the Lexus Next Chapter design for the all-new RX, where the grille is reinterpreted as a seamless unit that flows into the bodywork. The lower section retains a mesh pattern, while the upper section takes in the lower edge of the bonnet; the Lexus emblems sits at the centre of the spindle’s high pinch-point.


      The same concept has been applied to the RZ 450e. As a battery electric vehicle, this requires less cooling than a car with a conventional engine, so the grille has been dispensed with, giving the designers greater freedom. Nonetheless, the spindle shape remains prominent in a central front panel, finished in the car’s body colour. Its impact is heightened by the adjacent frontal areas being contrast-finished in black, the low bonnet line and more boldly shaped front wings.

      On both models, the spindle generates lines that flow back from the front of the car through the bonnet and headlamp units to create a strong and distinctive frontal appearance, reinforcing the brand-defining ambitions of the original concept.
      • 0 replies
    • Lexus joins the UK’s Motability Scheme with the new UX 250h F Sport Design
      From this week, people with mobility needs will be able to access a Lexus vehicle through the UK’s Motability Scheme
      • 0 replies
    • All-New Lexus RX to star at the Venice International Film Festival
      Festival to attract world-renowned actors, celebrities and creatives to the Lido di Venezia from 31 August to 10 September 2022
      • 0 replies
    • The all-new Lexus RZ: powerful design rooted in electrified performance
      Lexus maintains its status as a design innovator in creating a radical look for its all-new, all-electric RZ that directly interprets the SUV’s power and performance
      • 0 replies
    • Lexus guide to interesting EV charging locations off the motorway
      With the Great British holiday getaway on the horizon, drivers of BEVs (battery electric vehicles) will be considering where to recharge on their journey.  While motorway service stations are an obvious choice, Lexus has researched some more interesting alternative locations
      • 0 replies


×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership