Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Catalytic Converter Theft

On 9/19/2019 at 2:55 PM, Andre2000 said:

Hi

Where can I get a Cat as mine was cut and stolen yesterday. I know Lexus would be very expensive.

20190919_141822.jpg

Check the image. They will just cut around cut locks. I was going to go through Insurance and get Lexus to do the job. What changed my mind is I have read they just target the car again. So decided to fit universal which will arrive in a few days. Lucky I have Mrs car to drive.

12 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

Check the image. They will just cut around cut locks. I was going to go through Insurance and get Lexus to do the job. What changed my mind is I have read they just target the car again. So decided to fit universal which will arrive in a few days. Lucky I have Mrs car to drive.

I'll be fitting mine with a Clifford car alarm on max sensitivity aswell then. Does anyone know which catlock would be best? 

I would have thought the Lexus alarm would have activated with the vibration underneath h the car, It would be nice if you could adjust to max sensitivity. Besides garaged/on drive am not too sure what would be 99%. Also a major factor is Lexus/Toyota have a 5/6 week backlog.

See this threads.

https://blog.toyota.co.uk/catalytic-converter-theft-how-to-protect-your-car

Yeah, guess what - started my car today to the sound of a tractor! And the first thought instantly was that my cat converter is gone...

I am based in W4 (Chiswick).

Now have to figure out what's the best approach to getting a replacement one - and how to ensure it is not stolen again... 

And apparently there is an article on Guardian from 20th Sep about the widespread thefts of cat converters: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/20/theft-of-catalytic-converters-from-hybrid-cars-surges

20190922_115158.jpg

1 hour ago, Romasato said:

and how to ensure it is not stolen again

Completely impossible.

Even the 'Catloc' devices will only add an extra couple of minutes inconvenience for the ne'r-do-well's who are stealing them, not stop them completely.

1 minute ago, Herbie said:

Completely impossible.

Even the 'Catloc' devices will only add an extra couple of minutes inconvenience for the ne'r-do-well's who are stealing them, not stop them completely.

How do you know this?

16 hours ago, Romasato said:

Yeah, guess what - started my car today to the sound of a tractor! And the first thought instantly was that my cat converter is gone...

I am based in W4 (Chiswick).

Now have to figure out what's the best approach to getting a replacement one - and how to ensure it is not stolen again... 

And apparently there is an article on Guardian from 20th Sep about the widespread thefts of cat converters: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/20/theft-of-catalytic-converters-from-hybrid-cars-surges

20190922_115158.jpg

Sorry to hear about your Catalytic Converter. Opinion is divided on how to best protect yourself from theft. I initially was going through the Insurance and getting Lexus to do the work, after 24 hours I changed my mind and cancelled the claim for a couple of reasons.

1, The length of time it takes to repair with Lexus as no parts/stock in the UK. Car hire I know Insurance will pay for but to rack up 1000s on top just does not seem that right way forward for me.

2, Installing a new Lexus part back on may well be an invitation to steal it again. 

I’ll use a universal Convertor in the hope they decide to move on.

There has been 3000 Convertors stolen already in the first 6 months of this year In London. Mainly Toyota/Lexus Hybrid models.

Herbie has a very strong point Imo. It will take a determined thieves a couple of minutes longer at most according to many sources. Please use google. 

All these pictures being posted up. Tbh I'm astonished at how neat a job they do! Public flogging is obviously the only suitable punishment but at least they're not wrecking the car in the process. There was a spate of BMW airbag thefts a few years ago and my E91 was targeted and a right mess they made too.

16 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

Sorry to hear about your Catalytic Converter. Opinion is divided on how to best protect yourself from theft. I initially was going through the Insurance and getting Lexus to do the work, after 24 hours I changed my mind and cancelled the claim for a couple of reasons.

1, The length of time it takes to repair with Lexus as no parts/stock in the UK. Car hire I know Insurance will pay for but to rack up 1000s on top just does not seem that right way forward for me.

2, Installing a new Lexus part back on may well be an invitation to steal it again. 

I’ll use a universal Convertor in the hope they decide to move on.

There has been 3000 Convertors stolen already in the first 6 months of this year In London. Mainly Toyota/Lexus Hybrid models.

Herbie has a very strong point Imo. It will take a determined thieves a couple of minutes longer at most according to many sources. Please use google. 

Hi, you say a catloc may only slow down determined thieves by a couple of minutes ...

I just checked google and I cannot find anything about catlocs being ineffective. Please could you direct me to any sources you've seen to support your comment?

Thanks

21 minutes ago, jonnybgood said:

Hi, you say a catloc may only slow down determined thieves by a couple of minutes ...

I just checked google and I cannot find anything about catlocs being ineffective. Please could you direct me to any sources you've seen to support your comment?

Thanks

Catloc is not made of titanium or some exotic metal that one couldn't saw through - so it is just an extra hurdle which one can cut through anyway. Besides, if they see there is a catloc device fitted, they'll come later with extra tools required. Hence I am not sure catloc is really worthwhile... though correct me if I am wrong?

Well Toyota states it will not stop a determined thief. 

“catlock determined thieves will still steal catalytic converter” google this and 1st listing as above. Without the quotes.

I do understand though that if the car is under Lexus warranty this presents a real issue that they need to address. You cannot put a 3rd party part as it will invalidate your warranty.

Andrew

8 minutes ago, Andre2000 said:

Well Toyota states it will not stop a determined thief. 

“catlock determined thieves will still steal catalytic converter” google this and 1st listing as above. Without the quotes.

I do understand though that if the car is under Lexus warranty this presents a real issue that they need to address. You cannot put a 3rd party part as it will invalidate your warranty.

Andrew

I checked your link and it says "‘Catloc’ device can deter theft and make it more difficult". Sufficiently vague!

I imagine the thieves don't want to spend longer than a couple of minutes on each car and I would hope a well fitted catloc would deter them enough..plenty of unsecured catalytic converters our there which they can remove in under 2 mins.

15 minutes ago, phb10186 said:

Well, it's going to be better than nothing.

It better be something better than nothing for the extra 200-300 pounds.

7 minutes ago, jonnybgood said:

I checked your link and it says "‘Catloc’ device can deter theft and make it more difficult". Sufficiently vague!

I imagine the thieves don't want to spend longer than a couple of minutes on each car and I would hope a well fitted catloc would deter them enough..plenty of unsecured catalytic converters our there which they can remove in under 2 mins.

I am not sure if there are so many other car models with higher ground clearance and with easily accessible converters like RX SUV. And if that means 300 GBP profit for the thief, they'll memorize location and come back with extra tools.

7 minutes ago, Romasato said:

It better be something better than nothing for the extra 200-300 pounds.

I am not sure if there are so many other car models with higher ground clearance and with easily accessible converters like RX SUV. And if that means 300 GBP profit for the thief, they'll memorize location and come back with extra tools.

https://www.rhino-accessories.com/universal-catloc

this one is £125 inc. VAT, which seems cheap compared to your estimate.

this youtube video from the manufacturer indicates that the materials used are strong enough: 

1 minute ago, jonnybgood said:

https://www.rhino-accessories.com/universal-catloc

this one is £125 inc. VAT, which seems cheap compared to your estimate.

this youtube video from the manufacturer indicates that the materials used are strong enough: 

How long and how much effort do you think it takes to cut through those cables? Think of the tools bike thieves use. You'd never buy and use a bike lock with thin cables like that as it takes 5 seconds to cut through them.

33 minutes ago, jonnybgood said:

Look, at best it's a deterrent, not an absolute guarantee that it will stop the theft of your cat.

I'm all for deterrents, which is why I use a big, bright-yellow 'Stoplock Elite Pro' steering wheel lock as well as putting my keys in a Faraday pouch, but the RX has greater ground clearance that a saloon car so it's an easier target.

If you look at the information in the FAQ section "How long does it take to fit" here you'll find they say about 20 minutes to fit a Catloc. This means that they are not taking out the seats (if necessary) and carpets to drill holes through the floorpan to enable a titanium box cover to be bolted over the cat and fixed to the underside, because if they were, it would take longer than 20 minutes.

It's a cage-type device that fits over the cat and is secured in the main by using steel wire ropes or the chains associated with motorbike locks. The advent of cordless angle grinders/disk cutters make it an easy job to cut the exhaust pipe at either side and also the chain/wire rope of the Catloc, which will only add a small amount of extra hassle - but they will get through it.

@jonnybgood that video shows a reciprocating saw trying to cut the cables, something that no one would use. The preferred method is angle grinder/disk cutter.

• Like 1

Just had my cat stolen in the afternoon in front of neighbours.    Think they thought he was a mechanic.   Car sounds like a lancaster bomber from the 1940s and causes people to come out of their houses wondering what the racket is!

RLexus quote was about 1500 and now a 2-3 month wait.

Insurance - they also want a contribution towards the cat since the car is so old.  That plus excess plus loss of 2-3 years NCB is not worth it

catman - Just ordered mine but need to find someone to weld it in.   Welding is not normally done on cars these days

42 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

I favour using a separate alarm, if this is feasible.  A further thought - if ceramic cats serve the purpose just as well, why isn't Lexus/Toyota fitting these?

Because I believe platinum cats last longer, and are probably better over the projected life of the vehicle from new, say 10-15 years... also think they have a different peak temperature efficiency. I would also hazard a guess that they would take a knock better, you know for all that serious off-roading RXs do.

Plus they aren't standard ceramic, they are often fairly expensive metal oxides and silicates, fused to a base metal core vs a platinum coated base metal core.

Some of the high performance ceramic cats can easily be more expensive than a typical platinum based one - so the question is really about a generic fairly low quality ceramic cat versus all the other stuff on the market.

I suspect the ceramic cat supplied and fitted to my vehicle, and all the other RXs that are not on their original cats are of a fairly mediocre quality, and fitting that type of cat would probably not have the durability of the original equipment part. Move those vehicles on 10-15 years, and the durability question focuses more around remaining life, which is probably more like 5-10 years max, so an entirely different rationale results.

Either way, noone is ever going to know the durability or longevity of these because they are not testing the emissions on the 400h... so the main issue would be that a cheapish replacement may just rust away...

This issue on a 300 or 350 would be entirely different, as they will be emission checked, so have to conform to the tests applied under Euro 4 or whatever spec it is.

Just a quick update,

I had my car repaired and when I got to the garage ( Independent) an RX400h was on the ramp having the CAT replaced plus the one before me was also having the catalytic Converter replaced again an RX400 so including mine 3 Rx400h back to back all stolen CAT.  In one morning. The machanic/welder said they are selling for big bucks..

What a disgrace. Lexus should be informing every RX400 owner about these thefts as to make owners aware, as I receive marketing material through the post. but you have to say Lexus/Toyota are making a lot of money from these criminal acts.

Can I ask why this is toyota / lexus fault some scum bag nicks your cat .toyota sells millions of parts should they write to every rx owners if someone nicks wiper blades of 3000 toyotas .your car has 3 cats one won't be missed on a old car just fit a dummy hollow cat .its not going to make much difference to the emissions .if you only drive a few miles a day they will not be getting hot enough to work properly anyway .your all getting to hung up on fitting a replacement cat .which is almost certain to stolen again if they have done it once . My thinking is I'd rather fit a 50pound fake .untill the people are caught .why not fit a spy camera under your car to photo there face more chance the police will catch them make it motion sensing when ignition switches off .

3 hours ago, Andre2000 said:

What a disgrace. Lexus should be informing every RX400 owner about these thefts as to make owners aware,

Not really practical and certainly not a problem of Toy/Lex making.

All petrol cars have cats, no matter who manufactures them, be that Toy/Lex, Vauxhall, Ford, Kia, Audi etc., etc., most of which are accessible from under the car. The only reason the RXs are being targeted more is because the higher ground clearance of an SUV allows better access for the n'er-do-wells.