Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx400H Catalytic Converter Theft

47 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

Lexus and I assume other brands presumably use these expensively filled cats to get maximum reduction in emmisions.  I wonder how much difference it makes to emmisions, noise and fuel ecomomy if the genuine article is replaced with a generic lacking the expensive innards or replacing with a straight pipe and just relying on the cats up front?

You could have a point. But also take into account replacing it via Lexus (I was quoted in the region of 2k with a wait of 2 months) Then the thieves come back for round 2 then round 3.

Just as a note The garage at the time I had mine done had Prius come in that had the straight through pipe fitted after have the initial one stolen. They came back and before realising it had no CAT and cut the straight through pipe.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

You won't fail an MOT on an emission reading with a hybrid because it won't be tested. Even if it was it should pass if the primary cats are up to temperature.

What you might fail on is "Emission control equipment fitted by the manufacturer: missing, obviously modified or obviously defective". Now the person conducting the inspection isn't going to know what the underside of every make/model looks like so it would be difficult spot this but a flexi-pipe or poorly welded pipe may not pass, and you possibly wouldn't want to get an MOT done at a Lexus dealer where the inspector is going to be more likely to know what the underside of a 400h is meant to look like.

MOT aside, there is a legal grey area.

The law
Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75) it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful. A person altering the vehicle (if they knew or believed that the vehicle would be used on the road) could be found guilty of an offence under the Act.

Potential penalties are unlimited fines.

Just removing the secondary cat shouldn't change the emissions that much to fail basic emission standards but it 'could' push it over a CO2 tax limit or not pass a specific Euro emissions standard that the vehicle was originally tested to. I don't know enough about those standards to know if the cold running performance is taken into account or just once fully up to temperature - I'd assume there is a reason for the secondary cat otherwise Lexus wouldn't go to the expensive of fitting one in the first place.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:32 PM, Barry14UK said:

I keep a machete and a swordstick to hand for protection against intruders but I think if I used it to protect a car and injury or death resulted, the law might not be so forgiving. 

12 Lexus Jury Members good and true would absolve you completely Barry.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:42 PM, Andre2000 said:

Just as a note The garage at the time I had mine done had Prius come in that had the straight through pipe fitted after have the initial one stolen. They came back and before realising it had no CAT and cut the straight through pipe.   

Is that what you call "Being as Thick as Thieves"??

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hi, just joined this forum, planning to buy a 2007/2008 RX400H in the next 7-10 days. I've done my research and I am looking at cat protection. Is the best option still to get a Catloc fitted at a Lexus dealer? Any alternatives appreciated.

I do plan to look under the cars I am viewing as both are near London, maybe they are already protected 🙂 That would be a bonus.

Also best place to get a battery/model of Battery, I tend to replace the Battery when I buy a secondhand car, saves me finding out it is duff on the first frosty morning.

Thank you

• 5 months later...

I've just had mine stolen from an RX400H in South West London (KT4). 

Thanks to everybody that has contributed to the thread. I think I'll go with the 'straight through pipe' option as a replacement and hope any future thieves don't slash my tyres out of spite when they realise they're leaving empty handed. 

553638152_2021-12-1820_52_35.thumb.jpg.024a8da7a3f360f098dc513e93e4e292.jpg

On 7/7/2021 at 10:53 AM, Trefor said:

Also best place to get a battery/model of Battery, I tend to replace the Battery when I buy a secondhand car, saves me finding out it is duff on the first frosty morning.

I had some strange behaviour from my RX400H which I think was due to a worn 12V Battery (labelled as 'Toyota'). The dashboard lighting would flicker when I adjusted the brightness using the 'odometer dial'. I replaced it with a B32 Varta Blue Dynamic Car Battery 12V 45Ah. 

Cost was £63.96 inc VAT & delivery from Tanya Ltd. 

Be careful of using the suggestions based upon your registration plate. I initially purchased a Varta E23 and it was completely the wrong size.

battery.thumb.jpg.ff1e3bfe8263df443c73730440636611.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chatmandu said:

I've just had mine stolen from an RX400H in South West London (KT4). 

Thanks to everybody that has contributed to the thread. I think I'll go with the 'straight through pipe' option as a replacement and hope any future thieves don't slash my tyres out of spite when they realise they're leaving empty handed. 

553638152_2021-12-1820_52_35.thumb.jpg.024a8da7a3f360f098dc513e93e4e292.jpg

I think I need a temporary fix for the Christmas period. 

I've been outside to measure up as best I can. 

Gap length = 430mm

Outside diameter of one pipe = 55mm 

Outside diameter of other pipe = 60mm. 

Does anybody know if these are accurate diameters? Is the car built for the American market using imperial measurements? 

I'm having trouble finding a 60mm to 55mm reducer and am wondering if it is actually 2" 3/8 to 2" 1/8?

image.thumb.png.b0636043f79fd4633ec47ccd2160d39d.png

Thanks. 

• 6 months later...

Currently residing in France. Had our CAT nicked today. 

We have a stainnless steel exhaust on our RX 400h and the buggers chopped out the cat at 37cm. I found on eBay this ebay link  

Anyone bought one of these? Know if it will work? 

A local garage agreed to fit this for me. Dimensions are a little small compared to the cut the vandals / thieves made but the garage seemed confident to do the job. 

56 minutes ago, Lee Riley said:

Currently residing in France.

If you're living there then the answer depends on what the French MOT is like.

Back here in good old Blighty, hybrids are not emissions tested so you could just weld in a straight pipe and forget about it. The cat you linked to should work but the question is - do you need it?

12 minutes ago, Herbie said:

If you're living there then the answer depends on what the French MOT is like.

Back here in good old Blighty, hybrids are not emissions tested so you could just weld in a straight pipe and forget about it. The cat you linked to should work but the question is - do you need it?

Cheers for replying Herbie. I need to check that within the next couple of days. Lets assume I do need to install it, you reckon it will fit? 

1 hour ago, Herbie said:

Back here in good old Blighty, hybrids are not emissions tested so you could just weld in a straight pipe and forget about it.

You would pass an MOT but it may be illegal and is therefore unwise to recommend that approach:

Under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulations 61(7) and 61A(3)) and the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 42) it is an offence to use on a road a vehicle which has been modified in such a way that it no longer complies with the air pollutant emissions standards it was designed to meet.

The potential penalties are £1,000 for a car and £2,500 for a van, lorry or bus.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Section 75) it is an offence to alter a vehicle in such a way that the use of the vehicle on a road would be unlawful. A person altering the vehicle (if they knew or believed that the vehicle would be used on the road) could be found guilty of an offence under the Act.

Potential penalties are unlimited fines.

A person using (or causing or permitting to be used) a vehicle on the public road, which does not comply with the emissions standards it was designed to meet, is committing an offence.

All vehicle owners should be aware of the need to inform their insurers of modifications made to the vehicle, whatever form these might take, as changes to the vehicle potentially alter the risk being insured.

It is not always obvious to vehicle owners that some modifications will make the vehicle illegal to use on the road, irrespective of whether the insurer is prepared to provide cover. For example, removing a catalytic converter or diesel particulate filter will almost certainly result in a vehicle’s emissions exceeding type approval limits and make the vehicle illegal to drive on the road. Engine re-mapping may also result in non-compliant emissions.

It is the driver who is responsible for ensuring compliance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/modifying-your-vehicles-emissions/modifying-your-vehicles-emissions-the-legal-safety-and-health-implications

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lee Riley said:

Currently residing in France. Had our CAT nicked today.

Sorry to hear about the cat theft.

I was curious as to whether it's happening in France, as we're back holidaying there this year. I'm in a pretty rural area and hopefully not using the car too much.

Without being too specific about where you are, what sort of location was yours taken from?

28 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I was curious as to whether it's happening in France, as we're back holidaying there this year. I'm in a pretty rural area and hopefully not using the car too much.

Without being too specific about where you are, what sort of location was yours taken from?

Hi. Broad daylight, full car park in central Compiegne, Picardie 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Hi. Broad daylight, full car park in central Compiegne, Picardie 

Ok. Here’s how the cat theft in France ‘panned out’…

i took our rx400h to my trusted mechanic. He proposed a solution to put in place my eBay replacement cat (280€) using two ‘collars’ to bridge the 37cm chop. The new cat is 33cm. 

my mechanic is also an mot centre so his proposals are legal / road worthy. 

whilst quoting  to put in place my new cat he explained that in france a new cat is not in fact necessary. Emissions are not tested on unleaded / hybrids. He said to simply put a pipe over the gap where the cat was. 

65€ for a mètre of 58mm internal bore pipe + installation 

I am super happy . 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I joined the gang last month. Welded in a straight pipe in for the moment. Was told it was the resonator they took as 2 CVs are on each 3 cylinder bank. Ugh. What can you do?

IMG_6683LITE.jpg

Edited by Greisingel
Update
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 6 months later...

Sorry to hear about those members who have had their CC's nicked. I scanned a few sites and found this for those living South.

Business seller information

New Team recovery & repairs ltd
314 Wood Lane
Dagenham
Essex
RM9 5TB
United Kingdom

59 minutes ago, JGG said:

Does anyone know where I can buy the RX400h Catlock kit except Lexuspartsdirect?

They don't ship to The Netherlands...

I have found out that CatLoc has a contract with Lexus, that they only sell it to Lexus.

Is anyone willing to ship one me? (I will pay you upfront)