Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 SE-L - Am I Mad?

After owning a Ct200h and then a GS250 I left and had a few other cars which were good but left me wishing I’d not left the Lexus family.  I’d go off and get a newish GS again in a shot but im going to get hardly any use out of the car for the next couple of years due to travel with work.   As such I’m looking at using the 5-6k I have available that is normally put on a pcp or hop deposit and just buy out right. 

Ive done some forum trawling and it looks like people advise to steer clear of RX’s with air suspension.  This one looks to be a decent price and very low mileage, thoughts?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201909122139219

Any advice from the wise forum members? 

I had a 300 SE Nav, many years ago, as I wasn't brave enough to purchase one with air. They were lovely cars for the time, but are now knocking on a bit. 

MPG is as you would expect from an old school 3.0 petrol in a heavy body and I think miss you would miss some tech that you take for granted having owned CT200 GS250, no parking sensors, no auto power fold mirrors, the car still has a tape deck! If you are super keen on an RX of that era have you considered the 400h?

Thats the same colour and spec i once had,and it was a lovely car and very smooth but to be honest i couldn't live with the MPG which was as low as 17 at times.The best i got was 32 on a long run.

I only had that particular model for 6 months before selling it but had no problems in that time.

Like a good few stories on this forum I had a 300 SE L(2005) for nearly 3 years and the air suspension started playing up at 61K miles so it went in p/x for my current 450h thankfully without air.If I had the time again I would not go down this route as the worry of if and when it may go wrong over arched the pleasure of owning the car.

No doubt there are cars out there without this problem and there is always the default to convert to standard coils if it goes wrong but it would not be for me.Just my thoughts.

You pays your money...................

Yeah, 5-6K on that mileage... go for it, you wont find many 400h cars with that mileage these days. Air suspension... you can most likely replace the lot with rx400 coils and springs if you ever had to - but don't quote me on the electrical side of things - but it used to be a standard thing done on German cars. They may not even give you any trouble.

Thats the best RX colour in my opinion too.

I'd have a peek underneath and check it for rust... I only looked at my 09 underneath when the cat went, and there is a bit of attention needed on the sill areas and rear rails... surface stuff mostly, but on an early car, it's worth a look.

Was surprised at the amount of surface rust under the rx400 - or, perhaps was surprised that I wasn't surprised... same story as the RAV4s... and probably every other Toyota product.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I'd still buy it :biggrin:

Yes it seems like a steal.  Tbh I may buy this and use it occasionally, if it breaks then make a call at that time. I’ll check the underside but I’m expecting some minor-moderate surface rust on a car this age that hasn’t been treated. 

When im done with the current work assignment i’ll probably switch to a nearly new NX or RX. 

Going to view the car Sunday, will keep you posted! 

Have  a good look underneath.

Check how it sits and if the compressor comes on when driving.

I love my SEL.

But I conclude age versus mileage, newer is better...

1 hour ago, PCM said:

Have  a good look underneath.

Check how it sits and if the compressor comes on when driving.

I love my SEL.

But I conclude age versus mileage, newer is better...

Thanks PCM.  When you say check it it comes on when driving, how would you know? I’ve had a Range Rover and a VW with air suspension and you couldn’t hear the compressors when they ran unless you had hood open. 

• Like 1

As the owner of an '04 RX300 SE-L with 110K miles I wouldn't worry about the air suspension too much, it's just something that will either go or not and it's hard to say whether it's on age or mileage. Frankly once a car is over ten years old there's little you can do to predict what will wear out first, there's far too many variables involved.

e.g. The wiring loom that connects to the sensors on the cylinders perished last year, that was a pricy fix as they had to take the fuel injection system off to get at it. £50 part but tons of labour required

The compressor on mine can just about be heard when starting up or changing height.

16 minutes ago, RobinGBrown said:

As the owner of an '04 RX300 SE-L with 110K miles I wouldn't worry about the air suspension too much, it's just something that will either go or not and it's hard to say whether it's on age or mileage. Frankly once a car is over ten years old there's little you can do to predict what will wear out first, there's far too many variables involved.

e.g. The wiring loom that connects to the sensors on the cylinders perished last year, that was a pricy fix as they had to take the fuel injection system off to get at it. £50 part but tons of labour required

The compressor on mine can just about be heard when starting up or changing height.

I feel the same about mine, it may last many more years, or not, but I've decided not to let the thought of it spoil driving in supreme comfort. As we say so many times on this forum, we rarely hear about the air suspension models that go on and on without any issues. Just enjoy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rangebyte said:

Yes it seems like a steal.  Tbh I may buy this and use it occasionally, if it breaks then make a call at that time. I’ll check the underside but I’m expecting some minor-moderate surface rust on a car this age that hasn’t been treated. 

When im done with the current work assignment i’ll probably switch to a nearly new NX or RX. 

Going to view the car Sunday, will keep you posted! 

A man after my own heart.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, rangebyte said:

Thanks PCM.  When you say check it it comes on when driving, how would you know? I’ve had a Range Rover and a VW with air suspension and you couldn’t hear the compressors when they ran unless you had hood open. 

As in ... if you hear the compressor coming on a lot when driving...

There's an issue.

Can you see the car when it's not been warmed up, to check it's sitting straight?

47 minutes ago, rangebyte said:

Well that’s done.  Went to view and it’s been sold.  

Hope it wasnt one of you lot 😉 

joking aside, going to keep an eye out for similar ones now 🙂 

I think the price was quite high.

1 hour ago, rangebyte said:

Well that’s done.  Went to view and it’s been sold

Well I'm sad to hear that but you really can't hang about with these things.

I was surprised when you said you were going to see it on Sunday as my first thought was 'Nah, that's too long to wait'.

3 hours ago, Herbie said:

Well I'm sad to hear that but you really can't hang about with these things.

I was surprised when you said you were going to see it on Sunday as my first thought was 'Nah, that's too long to wait'.

Unfortunately I was in the US and only just got back today. 

Oh well 🙂 

• Like 1

Ok update.  Found a 350 SE relatively nearby and took it for a drive.  

There were 2 immediate on test drive issues that they said they’d resolve should I go for the car:

1. Breaks were weak and crunchy.  Worn disks and pads? 

2. Knocking at low speed going over touch surfaces (like pothole/manholes).  Worn suspension bushing? 

everything else was good, no damp carpets, clean and strong engine, good gbox and underside was immaculate and no noticeable rust spots. 

The only issue I have is the price.  Practically 6k seems high...thoughts? 

Do an online MOT check etc...

Check those breaks AND callipers - seized?

Knocking could be many things. Get if fixed FIRST I would suggest...

• Thanks 1