Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What's my car worth?

The time has come to let 'Larry' go...and im wondering how much he's worth/I should advertise him for. 

For those who don't know Larry, he's an LS400 1998 S reg with 122k miles. Full service history and the cambelt has been changed. The car is immaculate and drives superb. See pics.

why am I selling? Now I'm travelling into central London I need something cheap and ulez compliant. I'm trying to find a cheap lock up to store it in but no luck so far. 

Any price indicator wouldn't help, thanks

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1397.JPG

IMG_1398.JPG

IMG_1400.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

• Like 4

it's always been said that a true auction will find the best price from those seeking the object at that time

provided the auction is advertised well

do you ever watch the Bangers and Mash programme ?

a real time auction both with people and on-line ( and therefore global I guess ) with expert auctioneers in " classics " 

maybe ask those experts for their opinion if you are really quite intent on moving her on

she does look good whatever

Malc ......................  good luck

Yeah I watch that programme. I never considered an auction, might look into it. 

Its so well maintained that I'd rather it goes to someone who will continue to look after it and not use as a run around.

1 hour ago, Mo- said:

continue to look after it and not use as a run around.

not mutually exclusive by any means .........  I use mine as a runaround and look after her too ......  most sensible owners would maybe:whistling:

I bought mine off ACLex on here 8 years ago ( at 16 years young and with FLSH  )  at the same mileage as yours and £1400

today as a potential write-off ( a recent door smack ) and at 224k miles Saga value her at £1400 .....  the FLSH stopped as soon as I bought her

no idea what your car is worth at all  :no2:

Malc

lop £1000 off for the DHP wheels and clear lenses to get the car back to nigh original, then buy her I would suggest, I wouldn't buy her otherwise for sure

that's what happened to mine 8 years ago although the transformation figure then was £500 difference I think !

£2250 with 68k miles looks about right to me ☺️

Malc

Oi you two, stop talking my car down! hehe. I'm open to offers but maybe not quite that low! I should rewrite it to say it has had a timing belt change shouldn't I?

I guess prices all depend on if you need a quick sale or are looking for the right buyer who wants a good car.

I would say Larry is worth a decent amount. Probably £2.5k plus in my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Z28DUNC said:

Oi you two, stop talking my car down! hehe. I'm open to offers but maybe not quite that low! I should rewrite it to say it has had a timing belt change shouldn't I?

I guess prices all depend on if you need a quick sale or are looking for the right buyer who wants a good car.

I would say Larry is worth a decent amount. Probably £2.5k plus in my opinion.

Let's talk your car up again!  I think it looks fab, and in my opinion the DHP wheels are the best looking LS400 wheels by far.  Yes I know tyres are expensive but it wouldn't put me off. Definitely revise your listing re the cambelt.

• Like 1

The LS400 certainly represents a lot of car for the money, and it seems to me, as a non-owner (yet!), that within the £2,500 - £3,500 range there is plenty of opportunity to pick up a really good car.

I'm sure the values will only go one way, and eventually only the good ones will be left. As far as I can see there are currently 8 being broken for spares on eBay.

Sorry, I've gone off topic a bit, but what I'm driving at, in answer to the original question, is don't sell it too cheap.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2019 at 12:41 PM, Mo- said:

I think £3k is reasonable but still a bargain compared to some of the cars I've seen out there for the same price. 

That is a good point. See what you can get for £3,000 and compare it against an LS 400.

I have just taken mine for a cruise to the Cotswolds. Did not break any speed limits and overall got 29 mpg on the computer (about right). Very few cars would have given us a better journey.

Thanks all for the feedback. I don't think I've convinced myself I want to sell it yet! Recently mot'd and not even an advisory which is incredibly for a car this age. I may just keep it as a second car. Use it for long journeys.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mo- said:

Thanks all for the feedback. I don't think I've convinced myself I want to sell it yet! Recently mot'd and not even an advisory which is incredibly for a car this age. I may just keep it as a second car. Use it for long journeys.

In my experience only regret follows selling a good LS, if you don't need the money keep it, or a motoring void will haunt you!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The-Acre said:

In my experience only regret follows selling a good LS, if you don't need the money keep it, or a motoring void will haunt you!

I think that's a good call. 3k isn't that much really so I can just leave it parked up and covered. If I sold it for 3k I pretty much know I wouldnt be able to buy one back in that condition at that price!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just gone back on the ulez site and it is no longer compliant. The previous owner had it on disabled tax and I believe this is the reason it was exempt. The V5 is now updated and it is coming back as non compliant 😢😢😢😢