Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattle :(

Hello, I’m hoping someone can give some advice! I’m experiencing a ‘tinny’ high pitch rattle from the drivers door when the car has warmed up from the sun. (occasional minor rattle when it’s not warm)

the dealer has had it in over the last 6 months investigating it, adding padding and changing the door card. They’ve managed to reduce the rattle but not eliminate it.

Lexus UK sent a engineer to road test the car to find the rattle. The outside temperature was good but not warm, and the road test was on newly made roads, not really ideal to encourage the rattle. The report resulted in ‘nothing wrong with the car’. Despite the Lexus dealer previously hearing the rattle and telling me they’ve put more padding in however they’ve not managed to get rid of the rattle.

This concluded with the dealer telling me they have gone as far as they can and there’s nothing more they can do.

I’ve opened a case with Lexus UK customer services.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or experience with dealing with Lexus once the dealer has said they have done as much as they can?

Feels like the dealer has just washed their hands with me and not explained how to ultimately fix the rattle (I.e. replace the door)

😞

Hi I’ve had my RX 400 for seven years and every now and then there is a small rattle from somewhere either the sunroof or the cargo box in the middle , but I can go for weeks without hearing it. Is yours that bad that you can’t live with it even if it’s occasional?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ISJason said:

Hi I’ve had my RX 400 for seven years and every now and then there is a small rattle from somewhere either the sunroof or the cargo box in the middle , but I can go for weeks without hearing it. Is yours that bad that you can’t live with it even if it’s occasional?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I don’t mind the occasional rattle, the rattle from the door is most identifiable when it’s hot, although I can hear it pretty much every drive. I guess my ears have tuned into it. 

This is the problem I think, because it’s not as noticeable to the engineer unless it’s really hot, it’s difficult to diagnose and I get that. I think the frustration with the Lexus UK engineer is because he didn’t hear it, and he then classed the car is as normal based on one road test with no interaction from me.

This has prompted the dealer to tell me they’re no longer interested in fixing it. (They have heard the rattle and I have it on video)

My only assumption is that it’s a weak weld or something between the skin of the door, so to rectify it would be a new door, and cost wise could be anything from £2-5k. Probably something the dealer or Lexus don’t see as cost viable.

The car has cost a lot, and I feel that I shouldn’t have to accept a sub standard from Lexus so putting up with it isn’t really an option. I have nothing to gain by lying about this problem and really just want it fixed.

I guess all I can do now is wait for Lexus Customer Services to get back to my complaint/case.

Shame really as I’ll probably jump from the Lexus brand if it’s not resolved purely based on the customer service.

The cars are great, and if you have no issues with the car Lexus are great. From my experience being told they’re not doing anything more and offer no explanation, resolution or guidance how to fix it is pretty much hanging their customer out to dry. 

• Like 1

Have you tried putting gummi phledge or similar on all the door seals. 

The NX especially in f sport trim is going to have a firmer ride than other models so perhaps when warm the firm suspension magnifies the noise as the metal body panels have expanded. 

To be honest finding the source is not going to be easy as sounds travel in car bodywork. 

Having experienced issues with other marques I know how frustrating these things are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Have you tried putting gummi phledge or similar on all the door seals. 

The NX especially in f sport trim is going to have a firmer ride than other models so perhaps when warm the firm suspension magnifies the noise as the metal body panels have expanded. 

To be honest finding the source is not going to be easy as sounds travel in car bodywork. 

Having experienced issues with other marques I know how frustrating these things are.

When the car is warm, if I push the door card (just above the arm rest) I can hear a ‘click’ of the rattle. The door card was replaced in a bid to resolve it, however the same thing occurs with the new door card.

I’ve had padding/insulation put into the door and the ‘D’ Pillar. Nothing has worked to stop it.

I’m convinced it’s something to do with the door itself as there’s not many places anything can move between the door and door card.

when it’s loud it sounds like a small coiled spring bouncing against the metal of the door and the noise is concentrated around the arm rest area.

im sure it’s not the door seals, but could be another avenue to look at.

And it IS the door?

I hear rattles sometimes, but my directional hearing is often woefully wrong?

A rattle in the front turned out to be the sunroof cover...

21 minutes ago, PCM said:

And it IS the door?

I hear rattles sometimes, but my directional hearing is often woefully wrong?

A rattle in the front turned out to be the sunroof cover...

I guess any rattle is a needle in the haystack. However I would bet my money it’s the door, especially when the rattle can be manipulated by pressing the door card. Either way, Lexus has abandoned this issue which is the main problem. 😞

• Like 1