Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well, we've had ours just over two years from new now and the average tends to be 37/38 displayed. That's from about 32k miles in that two year period.

That is massively skewed to motorway driving, not the best scenario for fuel consumption, I'll admit. 

On A roads, N roads in France and urban driving it easily beats 40mpg, our best tankful being 46mpg in France away from the autoroute. 

I find it makes no difference whatsover in Eco/Normal/Sport, so I leave it in Normal. 

4 minutes ago, EssexGonzo said:

Well, we've had ours just over two years from new now and the average tends to be 37/38 displayed. That's from about 32k miles in that two year period.

That is massively skewed to motorway driving, not the best scenario for fuel consumption, I'll admit. 

On A roads, N roads in France and urban driving it easily beats 40mpg, our best tankful being 46mpg in France away from the autoroute. 

I find it makes no difference whatsover in Eco/Normal/Sport, so I leave it in Normal. 

National Speed Limit off the Autoroute in France is currently 80kmph or 50mph. This reduction to 80kmph will inevitably lead to excellent fuel consumption.

i recently achieved 65mpg in the E Class Estate.

Your figures are very good  EG.

Thanks for all your replies.

We're going for a 2nd Handover with Lexus this Thursday in the hope that we'll find out what we're doing wrong.

We've already adopted the Normal mode as our default.

I never understand why when spending over £20k on a car, why £200-400 per 10000 miles makes such an big deal. 

10k miles at £1.25per liter 40 mpg £1420 at 35mpg £1623 and 30mpg £1900 (all approx ) 

Just drive and enjoy or get a motorbike!😇😇😇😇😇😇

• Like 2

I think driving style has more of an impact on fuel consumption than anything else. We moved to rural Lincolnshire about 18 months ago. Initially I was getting about 38 mpg as I didn't know the roads. Now that I know where all the tight bends are and slow down in preparation without braking late our consumption has increased to about 44.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, Stoker said:

By changing to a hybrid we had expected to get better overall average consumption than our previous car, a Nissan Qashqai, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hiya, just rreading this- I came from a Nissan X-Trail - bigger than the Qashqai and I used to get high 40s from the X-Trail - but don't be under any illusions that either of those cars are similar and therefore directly comparable with the NX. The NX is almost 2 tons in weight (luxurious and a lot of heavy tech) - so if it wasn't a hybrid, you'd be looking at about 22 mpg from an all-petrol engine. The fact that you have a hybrid means it's a lot better mpg than a non-hybrid NX (other countries) - and hence - high 30s and low 40s - but only when driven in an optimal way... "hybrid-drive"... 🙂

On 11/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, Stoker said:

The main reason for changing to a hybrid was to try to reduce my carbon footprint. The fact that I am getting nowhere near the manufacturer's quoted figures - even making allowances for their exorbitant claims - made me wonder whether or not there is a fault with the car. Hopefully the second handover will through up some tips for optimal driving. Maybe it's just a case of living and learning.

David,

You are doing mainly short journeys with a cold engine. If you want high MPG under these conditions then the smaller the engine and the lighter the car the better.

With a nice warm engine you will probably achieve or even exceed the manufacturers figures.

John

13 hours ago, Stoker said:

The main reason for changing to a hybrid was to try to reduce my carbon footprint. The fact that I am getting nowhere near the manufacturer's quoted figures - even making allowances for their exorbitant claims - made me wonder whether or not there is a fault with the car. Hopefully the second handover will through up some tips for optimal driving. Maybe it's just a case of living and learning.

There was an anomoly in the quoted figures in the NX brochures last year - if you compare the two, one was c. 57mpg and the current brochure reads c.37mpg. The latter seems very accurate - I think the former was a mistake. Which figure are you working to?

6 hours ago, Stoker said:

I would have been going on the higher figure but taking it with a piece of salt.

Well, you said you're getting 33ish, which is a little low, but based on quoted figures of 37, it's not far off, especially for short journeys in the winter. So,I don't think there's a problem.

My average over 10,000 miles (using fuelly) is 42.2mpg. This has been achieved on mixed motoring, long runs, short runs, town and country trips.

It all depends on how you drive, as no two drivers drive alike. Even on exactly the same journey and more or less in convoy, different drivers will achieve different fuel consumptions.

I find that having the NX with 4 people on board drops the fuel consumption down quite a bit. And finally this cold weather has knocked 10% off my average consumption. But, I am still very happy with the car.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2019 at 9:51 AM, Steve Oliver said:

There was an anomoly in the quoted figures in the NX brochures last year - if you compare the two, one was c. 57mpg and the current brochure reads c.37mpg. The latter seems very accurate - I think the former was a mistake. Which figure are you working to?

I wonder if this is the EU NEDC figure (the older, wildly optimistic regime) vs the new WLTP figures for 2019 and onwards? WLTP mpg figures are much closer to real world experiences as they're actually derived from road-based testing. 

With the latter, I'd also imagine that it would be easier to get close to the figures in a hybrid where you have a slightly higher element of town and A-road driving where the NX seems to be at its best in terms of mpg. 

45 minutes ago, EssexGonzo said:

I wonder if this is the EU NEDC figure (the older, wildly optimistic regime) vs the new WLTP figures for 2019 and onwards? WLTP mpg figures are much closer to real world experiences as they're actually derived from road-based testing. 

With the latter, I'd also imagine that it would be easier to get close to the figures in a hybrid where you have a slightly higher element of town and A-road driving where the NX seems to be at its best in terms of mpg. 

I think you're spot on here. When I queried the change with the dealer (before I purchased) he played dumb as though he'd never heard that before.

59 minutes ago, EssexGonzo said:

This prompted me to look at the IS 300h fuel consumption quoted figures - the change to WLTP figures is significant. The old NEDC for my IS 300h with 17" wheel was 65.7 mpg and the new WLTP figure is 47 mpg. That is quite interesting as I have had my car 3 years and put 42K miles on it with a good mix of motorway and town driving (I purchased it at two years old at 40K miles) and my overall average mpg for that 42K miles according to the trip computer is pretty much bang on the new WLTP figure of 47 mpg. I had a NX 300h as a courtesy car a couple of months back whilst mine was in for a service as I did have an interest in getting an SUV, and although only having it for a day, I did find that to maintain the same driving style as the IS 300h required quite a bit more throttle (perhaps not surprising but the NX did feel quite a bit more sluggish to respond) and the mpg for that day was certainly lower than the IS 300h and so based on my experience of my IS 300h mpg being pretty bang on with the new WLTP, my experience with the NX 300h for a day did bear out that the WLTP of 37 mpg would be what I would achieve for the same sort of driving.

• Like 2

I got a Golf GTD on a lease as a substitute for a company car this summer. I use it for work and long drives up North on the motorway and I get within 5% of the new WLTP figure. In town it gets nowhere near. 

We use the NX locally where we can and we pretty much get the new WLTP figure, but not on the motorway. 

Each drive train has its strengths. Although everywhere, the Lexus is the most relaxing drive by a HUGE margin. And with the electric motor, it's way quicker and smoother off the mark in town compared to the Golf with its emissions strangled engine and hesitant auto gearbox. 

4 hours ago, wharfhouse said:

This prompted me to look at the IS 300h fuel consumption quoted figures - the change to WLTP figures is significant. The old NEDC for my IS 300h with 17" wheel was 65.7 mpg and the new WLTP figure is 47 mpg. That is quite interesting as I have had my car 3 years and put 42K miles on it with a good mix of motorway and town driving (I purchased it at two years old at 40K miles) and my overall average mpg for that 42K miles according to the trip computer is pretty much bang on the new WLTP figure of 47 mpg. I had a NX 300h as a courtesy car a couple of months back whilst mine was in for a service as I did have an interest in getting an SUV, and although only having it for a day, I did find that to maintain the same driving style as the IS 300h required quite a bit more throttle (perhaps not surprising but the NX did feel quite a bit more sluggish to respond) and the mpg for that day was certainly lower than the IS 300h and so based on my experience of my IS 300h mpg being pretty bang on with the new WLTP, my experience with the NX 300h for a day did bear out that the WLTP of 37 mpg would be what I would achieve for the same sort of driving.

Fascinating! I think this may transform the way we consider quoted consumption figures in the future...

I have had both a 4RX and a NX. On the same type of driving, the RX did not achieve such good mpg as the NX does but it is not far behind. I reckon the RX actually averaged about 34mpg overall.

8 hours ago, Jgk1228 said:

My  nx300h 69 reg ,  all driving in the city ,408miles now, but below 25mpg.  What is wrong with my car?

Probably nothing, if you have very short trips. If you like to improve mpg I suggest to buy a OBD Bluetooth interface and give a look to Hybrid Assistant android app that helps to obtain maximum fuel spare from hybrids.

10 hours ago, Jgk1228 said:

My  nx300h 69 reg ,  all driving in the city ,408miles now, but below 25mpg.  What is wrong with my car?

I'd give it another couple of thousand miles to run in before worrying about fuel consumption.

But ours has never been that low - city driving tends to give mid to late 30's. 

And don't forget it's winter. Batteries don't like the cold and the engine will fire up more often - especially from a cold start - which murders fuel consumption.