Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I thought that this was really worth a mention.

I recently went up to Lincolnshire for a few days and i did just over 600 miles in total.  The journey up from Exmouth was 280 miles and the run back was more or less the same.  I drove at the speed limit where possible which obviously included A roads and motorways giving the whole range of speeds but mostly 50, 60 and 70mph, with the odd zip up to 75+ when necessary.  The figures on the dash display showed 47.5 on the trip up and 46.2 on the run back home.

I know that it's accepted that the figures shown in-car are a little optimistic but, even allowing for that, I am really pleased with the return.  That coupled with the lovely comfortable drive/ride gives me great pleasure.

If I win any money at any time, I will be going for  the RX next, tis a big IF though methinks.

• Like 3

Yes the in car figures tend to be optimistic. I have conducted brim to brim mpg calculations from the day I took delivery and the average to date is slightly over 41. This is from a broad mix of driving - City, Country and Motorway. Just returned today from a 400 mile journey through South West Scotland and the dash display is showing 46.8 but expect that in reality this will be c43 to the gallon. Very happy with this and in excess of the new standard WLTP figures for the NX. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:10 AM, bluenose1940 said:

I thought that this was really worth a mention.

I recently went up to Lincolnshire for a few days and i did just over 600 miles in total.  The journey up from Exmouth was 280 miles and the run back was more or less the same.  I drove at the speed limit where possible which obviously included A roads and motorways giving the whole range of speeds but mostly 50, 60 and 70mph, with the odd zip up to 75+ when necessary.  The figures on the dash display showed 47.5 on the trip up and 46.2 on the run back home.

I know that it's accepted that the figures shown in-car are a little optimistic but, even allowing for that, I am really pleased with the return.  That coupled with the lovely comfortable drive/ride gives me great pleasure.

If I win any money at any time, I will be going for  the RX next, tis a big IF though methinks.

OBC figures are generally in the range of 5-8% too optimistic.

Just driven 750 miles through France where National Speed Limit (on non Motorways) has been reduced to 50mph and it makes for a considerable reduction in fuel consumption.

Was parked behind a Black 19 Reg NX on the Shuttle to Calais.

Your figures are very good Geoff.

I have been keeping a check on both our LC500 and NX300h fuel consumption comparing on OBC and actual brim-to-brim usage.

As you say, the LC is about 6% more economical on the OBC than actual usage. The OBC indicated figure overall is about 26 MPG so if you knock 1.5 MPG off for the error, I reckon I am getting a real 24.5 MPG.

Interestingly, the NX is almost spot on OBC to real usage. The error is only 0.3% (this being better on the OBC). We are averaging 38.4 MPG at the moment on mixed driving. For us this is 3 to 8 miles locally with occasional longer A road runs.

I am new to Lexus cars and have only put up 1000 miles on our 300 h with 2 drivers,one trying to save and the other just driving .the car has only15,000 miles done and is a 2016 luxury model.

we have averaged 44.7 fill to fill.I am very happy with it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I know I am a bit late replying but after a month with my 2016 15,000 mile NX I decided to try the sport + and put it to 6 gear  and I am astonished at it, it is doing 42 + mpg and I have the Rev counter on all the time & it is going to ev more often .

Has Anyone tried this

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my NX since November 17.  Since then I've done 22900 miles and I keep a log of all fuel, mileage and what the OBD records.

my average MPG over that time is exactly 40 MPG, I reckon my OBD is 2% optimistic which isn't bad.

Most of my miles are driving the same route between Norfolk and Milton Keynes, mainly dual carriage way with bits of single carriage way and some spots where there is always traffic queues. I use the adaptive cruise control set to 70 MPH and rarely go over that

MPG is worse in winter than summer +/- 5MPG,

Traffic has mixed impact, short moving queues that the Battery can manage improve MPG whereas long queues where the motor runs to charge the Battery make it worse. Curiously times when there is no traffic at all seem to make the MPG worse.

There is no doubt that Hybrid driving requires a different style to get the best MPG and it's really easy to get a poor MPG by driving aggressively.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've just joined this group and I am very disappointed in the fuel consumption that I am getting - currently 33.5 mpg since I found the right settings to measure overall average consumption a few weeks ago.

I took delivery of my NX300H in early October and since then my wife and I have done just over 700 miles. A lot of our journeys are only 3 to 5 miles but some would be 30 miles.

We're both retired so don't have a regular pattern of usage. We bought expecting to achieve some of the consumption figures that you guys have been achieving.

So what are we doing wrong?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

9 hours ago, Stoker said:

I've just joined this group and I am very disappointed in the fuel consumption that I am getting - currently 33.5 mpg since I found the right settings to measure overall average consumption a few weeks ago.

I took delivery of my NX300H in early October and since then my wife and I have done just over 700 miles. A lot of our journeys are only 3 to 5 miles but some would be 30 miles.

We're both retired so don't have a regular pattern of usage. We bought expecting to achieve some of the consumption figures that you guys have been achieving.

I may be wrong. I suspect the short distance driving means your hybrid Battery is not really charging and everytime you drive you are just using petrol hence the low mpg. 

my wife’s nx is doing similar mpg and she literally drives down the road to work which takes 5 minutes. But when we used it for road trip, it gets up to about 38mpg.

barry

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stoker said:

@Stoker I think the most sensible approach would be to measure consumption when you do one of your longer journeys. If you drive sensibly - and there is a technique to driving a hybrid efficiently which is covered elsewhere on the forum - you should achieve high 30's/early 40's, accepting that consumption drops in the colder weather. You can then establish whether it is the shorter journeys that are reducing the overall average.

I do a 15 mile commute each day, all on country lanes and one B-Road. I've been getting early 40s mpg without trying, but over the last week it has dropped to mid-30s.

• Like 1

many thanks for your replies guys.

@Cactus it's good to know that someone else with a similar journey profile is getting similar consumption.

@First_Lexus before I found out how to change the settings to measure overall mpg I did see some much higher consumption figures for single journeys.

By changing to a hybrid we had expected to get better overall average consumption than our previous car, a Nissan Qashqai, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It's early days yet so I'll give it another couple of months and see if there is any improvement as we will be doing more of the longer journeys during that time.

Many thanks again

I've owned my NX300h for 4 months now and have been monitoring my fuel consumption over that period. I'm currently averaging around 39.5 mpg which I'm quite happy with. My typical journeys are some motorway, some dual carriageway and some minor roads - so pretty mixed driving.

I've found that some of my previous beliefs about driving patterns and fuel consumption are turned on their head slightly with a hybrid. For example, with a petrol or diesel car it is commonly believed that driving at 55 mph is the optimum for fuel consumption, whilst crawling along in heavy traffic has a bad effect on mpg. With the hybrid I've found that to be the reverse somewhat. Motorway runs at around 50 to 70 mph seem to bring the mpg figure down whilst stuck in slow-moving traffic improve the figure considerably (especially in EV mode of course). The best situation to achieve optimum mpg (in my experience) is a journey where you are able to drive at around 40 mph for the majority of the time.

Hi @Andy B

Many thanks for your reply.

At the moment I think our profile of journeys has more  shorter ones than longer ones and that is having an effect. Hopefully over the next couple of months this will even out and show some improvement in the overall average mpg. 

We did get the impression before buying that our shorter journeys would use the electric mode more but that hasn't been the case as EV Mode only seems to last for a short distance before the petrol engine kicks in.

13 hours ago, Stoker said:

Please view the Lexus Guide to driving a hybrid on YouTube. 

My Dealers service department acknowledge that NX fuel consumption is generally lower than expected and many customers comment on this . Certainly I have spoken to NX owners who tell me that they are getting fuel consumption figures barely better than my RX. 

Check consumption tankful to tankful The app on my phone shows my average over the last 26000 miles is 33.6 mpg. In mixed driving. 

13 hours ago, Stoker said:

David,

Welcome.

Your low mpg is down to the short journeys as the engine never gets warm. I don't know if the NX can display the mpg every minute. If so, look at this on a short journey. When I look at mine it takes some miles before my average gets above 30mpg even when the roads have cleared. The bars show why. I know my engine is bigger and perhaps takes a bit longer to warm up. . My neighbour has a Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 diesel I think. He gets low 20s around town on short journeys as do I. I can manage over 45mpg over 80 miles of M4 A34 but only if I do a reset when doing the motorway with a warm engine. And mine is the less efficient Mk 3 engine - pre Atkinson.

Hope this reassures you nothing is wrong.

John

Thanks again agues for your replies.

@olliesgrandad it's interesting to see what you have been getting over 26000 miles. It would take use about 4 years to clock up that distance.

@OldTrout I had thought that the car would run on electric from cold on those short journeys but it seems that that is not the case. Sometimes the only way to find out things is to jump in and try them. I have used that display to see what's going on and even on a short journey I can see that the car is doing 60mpg at times (probably on a downhill section) but then the other  sections of the journey balance that out.

Nevertheless we are enjoying the driving experience and comfort of the NX300H.

Bluenose1940, what is your driving style. Every car has its sweet spot, having driven hybrid cars for the last 9 years (Prius/Yaris/CT200h) I have found, after some time the ideal driving style for the best/better fuel economy.

Driving from cold will not help your fuel economy but leaving your car to warm up on your drive will in-turn charge your Battery allowing you to drive straight off on Battery.

I have found with the NX, 4 days since purchasing, that accelerating straight up to the required speed, will obviously get you to speed quicker but will also aid in charging your Battery.

My wife has a different driving style where she steps her acceleration in 10mph increments allowing the car to settle out at each step before increasing but it didn't give as good a mpg as my style.

Does anyone have any other driving styles or are they only on a YouTube video? The ones I've seen on YouTube suggest pulse and drive which is similar to my wife's step approach.

3 hours ago, Stoker said:

Thanks again agues for your replies.

@OldTrout I had thought that the car would run on electric from cold on those short journeys but it seems that that is not the case. Sometimes the only way to find out things is to jump in and try them. I have used that display to see what's going on and even on a short journey I can see that the car is doing 60mpg at times (probably on a downhill section) but then the other  sections of the journey balance that out.

Nevertheless we are enjoying the driving experience and comfort of the NX300H.

David,

I wonder if I can give an energy overview of what is going on. Imagine the Battery is fully charged when you get into the car and it then drives entirely on Battery for a while. You are using no petrol so mpg appears infinite. However you are using energy. At some point the engine will cut in to both drive the car and to replenish the Battery. Now you are doing less mpg than just diving the car because you are charging the Battery as well. All this with a cold engine too. Overall you get more mpg than you would from a non-hybrid engine because you can recover the energy a non-hybrid would loose in braking. 

Also with an electric motor to assist the combustion engine this can now be an the Atkinson cycle engine which is more efficient. The disadvantage of Atkinson engines is lower torque but with an electric motor to assist this disadvantage can be negated.

Does this help?

John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mandon75 said:

Does anyone have any other driving styles or are they only on a YouTube video? The ones I've seen on YouTube suggest pulse and drive which is similar to my wife's step approach.

And very annoying to anyone following.😬

John

4 hours ago, mandon75 said:

I have watched some of the videos on YouTube but would appreciate it of others would post links to specific videos that they think would be useful in respect of achieving optimum fuel consumption.

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, OldTrout said:

David,

I wonder if I can give an energy overview of what is going on. Imagine the battery is fully charged when you get into the car and it then drives entirely on battery for a while. You are using no petrol so mpg appears infinite. However you are using energy. At some point the engine will cut in to both drive the car and to replenish the battery. Now you are doing less mpg than just diving the car because you are charging the battery as well. All this with a cold engine too. Overall you get more mpg than you would from a non-hybrid engine because you can recover the energy a non-hybrid would loose in braking. 

Also with an electric motor to assist the combustion engine this can now be an the Atkinson cycle engine which is more efficient. The disadvantage of Atkinson engines is lower torque but with an electric motor to assist this disadvantage can be negated.

Does this help?

John

Many Thanks John

That explains it very well.

• 4 weeks later...

Having now driven my NX some distance I have had to change my style of driving from that of the CT in order to help increase my MPG.

We all go through the settling in period where the sports mode button is fun but then reality kicks in and fuel economy is back on the cards.

I was advised by my dealer to get up to speed as quickly as possible, in his opinion this was the most economic way.

I have found that by leaving it in eco mode and steadily getting to the required speed whether that is 30,60 or 70 and leaving it in eco has produced the best mpg.

I am achieving 39/40 MPG by doing this and its not like Im travelling on a level road, A1, A66, M6/M74. this is my weekly commute at the moment so low fuel consumption is key.

I still have moments of madness where my lead foot returns but the majority of my route is at an acceptable MPG.

I hope this aids anyone hoping for better MPG, good luck

• Like 2