Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Love the new F, but...

Picked up my ISF on Saturday and love it so far but the Mark Levinson seems really underwhelming.

Ive owned an IS220d, GS430, GS450h, and all of those were fantastic, but the ISF doesn’t seem very good?!

Also, is there a Firmware update that can be done for the MMI? Because it also seems really dated to the other cars I’ve had, despite being years newer!

Cheers

Just to add, it doesn’t even start getting loud until volume 30, whereas what I’m used to is 30 being fairly loud!

Could it be an amp issue?

Did you have the ML system in the IS220d? I would assume that the ML system in the ISF is the same if you did. I’ve had both the standard 13 speaker Pioneer system and the ML system in an IS250 and found that the ML system was a lot clear with less distortion. However for my taste the Bass setting needed to be set at 3/4 of max and I too found that it needed to be turned up to at least 30 before anything it really kicked in.  I would imagine the systems in the GS’s you had were possibly better than the IS as it’s a higher model in the range. 

Had an IS250 with standard stereo and the ISF with ML. The standard stereo wins hands down for the type of music I listen to. As you say ML has to be on high before it getsloud and it is very flat in my opinion. Only sounds good at about 45 or above which is very loud in the car. You need DSP on and you have to mess about with the tone controls a lot to get it right. The standard stereo in the IS250 was a lot better in my opinion and a lot more tunable. 

Interesting, I had the standard audio in my first RC and now have ML in my current RC. The difference is night and day, the ML being so much more open and detailed. Bass is far deeper and more solidly controlled. The standard audio was more than adequate but the ML is streets ahead... and this is at comfortable listening levels (I hate beat-box cars..) and tone controls level, DSP on. I'm loving it and well worth the extra in such a quiet car. :thumbsup:

Being a ‘13 plate 2IS, I would assume that it would be running the lastest software seeing as the 3IS was launched shortly after. 

The system changed from a DVD based unit to a HDD around the 09/10 model years so I don’t think the software is interchangeable.  I know that it is a matter of personal preference but it thought that the software look much more modern on our ‘11 IS than it did on our ‘07 model. 

Got my ISF 3 weeks ago and have to agree i love the car but the sound system is one of the only thing i am not impressed with.

Played with the settings and its improved slightly but i wouldn't say its even as good as the system in my 2003 IS200.

It can be improved by adjusting your bass/trebble/fader settings. Unless it was reset, it will be set to my preferences. Funnily enough I thought it was underwhelming when I first got it too.

It is a a very dated looking system, however it does have all the functionality you would want bar something like apple carplay; HD jukebox, Bluetooth audio, DAB, CD multilayer, I think it even plays DVDs. It also has a USB stick socket in the glove box, I used to run a mini 64gb stick in there with my entire music collection. Pretty good for a '13 car, designed back in '08. 

In comparison I was disgusted by the sound options in newer Porsches; you don't get any of that as standard. 

If you want to improve the sound quality, you'd need a new amp and perhaps some better speakers, I'm sure the tech has moved on lots. I looked into it briefly, but it was looking quite expensive and honestly, in the end I was more interested in changing the exhaust and hearing that V8!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhoeNicks said:

It can be improved by adjusting your bass/trebble/fader settings. Unless it was reset, it will be set to my preferences. Funnily enough I thought it was underwhelming when I first got it too.

It is a a very dated looking system, however it does have all the functionality you would want bar something like apple carplay; HD jukebox, Bluetooth audio, DAB, CD multilayer, I think it even plays DVDs. It also has a USB stick socket in the glove box, I used to run a mini 64gb stick in there with my entire music collection. Pretty good for a '13 car, designed back in '08. 

In comparison I was disgusted by the sound options in newer Porsches; you don't get any of that as standard. 

If you want to improve the sound quality, you'd need a new amp and perhaps some better speakers, I'm sure the tech has moved on lots. I looked into it briefly, but it was looking quite expensive and honestly, in the end I was more interested in changing the exhaust and hearing that V8!

+1 on your last comment man! 😎😎

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links