Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi, new member and sorry if this has been brought up before, if it has and some kind sole could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

One of my headlights kept going out after anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes of being on, so I replaced it. Worked fine until last night when both went out after only a few minutes! Not good at night.

They do come on, but now only for a very short time.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What did you actually replace? Mine was doing the same so I replaced both bulbs and problem was solved. If you have done this, it could well be the ballast(s). These must be quite expensive from dealers but could try the likes of ECP??

22 hours ago, Mark 05 said:

Just replaced the one bulb at the time and was just about to replace the other, but both now failing 😞

If both bulbs went out at the same moment there is some other fault "perhaps the headlamp relay" that is causing the problem. Since the headlamps each have there own separate ballast unit one side does not affect the other as long as the 12 volt supply line is intact.
The normal failure mode of the bulbs is for one to go out after a period of time, but switching them off and back on again restores operation. A failing ballast "can" exhibit the same failure mode, but this is rarer than bulb failure, and is more often complete failure to operate.

John.

Thank you both for your advice. I've got 2 new bulbs on order.

Sequence is currently; new bulb goes out after a few minutes followed by the older bulb a few minutes after that.

Hopefully changing both at once will resolve the issue otherwise I dread to think what might be the cause.

Mark.

Update, just to let you know, both bulbs changed and appears to be working. Keeping fingers x'd for a while.

Thanks again for advice, much appreciated.

Mark. 

Thank you both for your advice. I've got 2 new bulbs on order.

Sequence is currently; new bulb goes out after a few minutes followed by the older bulb a few minutes after that.

Hopefully changing both at once will resolve the issue otherwise I dread to think what might be the cause.

Mark.

• Like 1

Good to hear! Fingers crossed indeed!

One thing to note is that the bulbs I bought only lasted around 6months but the second lot last have been going around 9months. So may be worth while keeping a second set at hand...