Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New GS 300 owner saying hello!

Glad the car is still suiting you and you have certainly brought it up to an immaculate standard - it looks terrific! There can't be much left to do. Hope you will have more luck than I did trying to get a paint match for the o/s mirror. (Nearly painted the n/s one black just for the sake of symmetry - but hope springs eternal as they say). Anyway, all best wishes to you and yours in these troubling times.

Ron

• Like 1

Good to hear from you Ron, as always.

I'll be honest, I am running out of things to do to it! As far as maintenance is concerned the only two items left are the the timing belt and diff oil. But both beyond me I think.

I have booked the bumpers and mirror cap in for a bit of paint but I touched up the bumpers myself the other day and have to say it doesn't look half bad. Toyota Bordeaux Mica is the perfect match. Same paint code. 

These are troubling times Ron so stay safe and keep in touch. If I do run out of jobs I might be getting rid of an '02 GS300. Interested? :wink:

13 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Good to hear from you Ron, as always.

I'll be honest, I am running out of things to do to it! As far as maintenance is concerned the only two items left are the the timing belt and diff oil. But both beyond me I think.

I have booked the bumpers and mirror cap in for a bit of paint but I touched up the bumpers myself the other day and have to say it doesn't look half bad. Toyota Bordeaux Mica is the perfect match. Same paint code. 

These are troubling times Ron so stay safe and keep in touch. If I do run out of jobs I might be getting rid of an '02 GS300. Interested? :wink:

Now, if you sell it back to Ron at the price he sold it to you Richie and he gave you a case of Yorkshire Ale, me thinks that sounds like a good deal (lol)

• Haha 1

Does anyone know if there's a way to prise the mirror cover/cap off without removing the glass? There is some movement but I don't want to break anything.

History of the o/s mirror is that it was accidentally damaged and the back was cracked. My pal did a practically invisible glue job to repair it and it was glued back into position on the mirror. The intention was to re-spray it in situ on the door but, as previously mentioned I couldn't get a match locally. In short, as they are glued together, I don't think the mirror and backing are detachable from one another without damage. Sorry, perhaps I should have explained all that when we met.

Kind regards

Ron 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ronniemac said:

History of the o/s mirror is that it was accidentally damaged and the back was cracked. My pal did a practically invisible glue job to repair it and it was glued back into position on the mirror. The intention was to re-spray it in situ on the door but, as previously mentioned I couldn't get a match locally. In short, as they are glued together, I don't think the mirror and backing are detachable from one another without damage. Sorry, perhaps I should have explained all that when we met.

Kind regards

Ron 

It's OK Ron. I've kept the receipt you gave me. I'll be heading back up the A9 for a full refund in the next couple of days :wink:

Don't worry, you did explain. I still might have a go at removing it. If it's held on with glue now it can be held on with glue again.

Alternatively....

14 hours ago, steve2006 said:

There are quite a few mirrors on fleabay for £40-50.

Not sure if this is your colour Richard.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-GS-300-WING-MIRROR-RIGHT-SIDE-OEM-FOLDING/254542785904?hash=item3b43eead70:g:-zIAAOSwUF1eb-ag

Cheers Steve but I think that's off the third gen. However I did find another which looks like a perfect match. I'm keeping an eye on it.

• 3 weeks later...

After quite a bit of arsing about with an extremely difficult seller I finally received a second hand mirror in the correct colour. Result!

And thoroughly enjoyed fitting it :thumbsup: If anyone else attempts this I can confirm as Ronnie said, there's no easy way to remove the back. It's the whole unit or considerable butchery. Luckily I can do the door cars with my eyes shut now so it was an easy swap. Might still have to change the glass but that's easy enough.

LHS.jpg

RHS.jpg

• Like 3

As part of my current "inventing things that need doing to the car" mood, I've convinced myself that there's a slight knock at the front and that it's coming from the worn pads shifting on low speed maneuvering. I know...

Anyhoo, I've bought some pads and will be fitting them any day now. Never done pads before :ohmy: but I will be following this

Any tips much appreciated.

On 6/18/2020 at 2:16 PM, rich1068 said:

Slide pins next. Out of the four, one was free, one stuck solid, two quite "tight". Manage to loosen then all up a bit but not ideal.

All done. Rear pads and discs next :thumbsup:

And I treated the car to a coat of the well known Fusso Coat Dark. Had it ages, tried on a panel every now and again but always too much like hard work. This time the car has been recently machine polished and along with careful (not too much!) application it looks a treat. I won't put a picture up because they all look identical :tongue:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another little update.

Away with the family for a week from 21/8 so I got the car over to Dave's a couple of days before with a view to just leaving it there for the 2 years overdue cam belt and probably never done diff oil. Returned on the 28th and started to plan how to get the car back after the Bank Holiday weekend. We'd been away in the Volvo and I have to say it did perform admirably but I was looking forward to getting the GS back. Then a little spanner in the works on Sunday 30th. I had a heart attack. The paramedics took me into the Northern General, angiogram and angioplasty carried out Monday, let home on Tuesday. Dave's colleague David very kindly brought the GS over to me yesterday and it's now sat outside but all I can do is look at it because I'm facing 4 weeks of no driving!

So there you go. How's your week been? :biggrin:

17 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Another little update.

Away with the family for a week from 21/8 so I got the car over to Dave's a couple of days before with a view to just leaving it there for the 2 years overdue cam belt and probably never done diff oil. Returned on the 28th and started to plan how to get the car back after the Bank Holiday weekend. We'd been away in the Volvo and I have to say it did perform admirably but I was looking forward to getting the GS back. Then a little spanner in the works on Sunday 30th. I had a heart attack. The paramedics took me into the Northern General, angiogram and angioplasty carried out Monday, let home on Tuesday. Dave's colleague David very kindly brought the GS over to me yesterday and it's now sat outside but all I can do is look at it because I'm facing 4 weeks of no driving!

So there you go. How's your week been? :biggrin:

Gosh Richie, so sorry to read that.

Take care and return to full health soon.

• Like 1

Cheers John. I do feel quite alright now but a little bit of exertion does take it out of me. I have to remind myself less than a week ago someone was poking around inside my heart!

4 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Cheers John. I do feel quite alright now but a little bit of exertion does take it out of me. I have to remind myself less than a week ago someone was poking around inside my heart!

No second chances really Richie.I have a Hypotrophic Cardiomyopathy and cannot even change a wheel now.

Please do what you are told.

Regards

• Like 1

Get better soon Rich I too had heart bypass  few years ago  you definatly cannot do  the things you used to do or things you lwould like to do but take it steady and all will be well

Robert

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links