Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New GS 300 owner saying hello!

6 hours ago, rich1068 said:

It's an acquired taste.

I had a Primera (the last of the cracking pre-Renault ones) which had the cabin palette like the contents of a tin of mushroom soup. This they contrasted with fabric that looked like a child had crayoned all over. So I know something about the Japanese take on interior design.

The 'coffee and cream' vibe of your GS puts me in mind of Y-fronts we had in the seventies... 😁

• Like 1

On 11/3/2019 at 8:48 PM, rich1068 said:

I'm not entirely convinced of the fashion of gearbox oil changes/flushes so today was oil, oil filter and plugs. 

I will say still get a gearbox oil change done. not a full flush but just a drain and refill.. 

• Like 1

don't bother testing the audio on FM, the signals are so heavily compressed it is impossible to get something decent sounding out of it. test with CD if possible. the amps can go bad and potentially need a recap. you could perhaps also test the drivers on a different amp (home hifi maybe?) to see if the problem remains?

31 minutes ago, noby76 said:

I will say still get a gearbox oil change done. not a full flush but just a drain and refill.. 

Point taken Jeff but I think I'm correct when I say it's not part of the regular maintenance schedule. And I'd be concerned about doing more harm than good. It seems to be a bit of a forum favourite, especially American forums that reflect a general obsession with fluid changes of all types.

6 minutes ago, fred81 said:

don't bother testing the audio on FM, the signals are so heavily compressed it is impossible to get something decent sounding out of it. test with CD if possible. the amps can go bad and potentially need a recap. you could perhaps also test the drivers on a different amp (home hifi maybe?) to see if the problem remains?

Cheers Fred. I've resigned myself to the fact the stock system is poor. With the tweeters re-connected the BT via FM is passable but CDs are too bright. I can also get OK sound from a carefully recorded cassette. Yes, I still do this :biggrin: I've had home amps re-capped before but the sign they were failing was usually sound crackling or cutting in and out. I don't get that, just a lack of clarity.

one thing of note, the ML in my GS450h sounded really poor, like the sub wasn't working - i went into the diagnostic menu (i think hold info and turn lights on and off 3 times), went to audio menu and cleared all codes, magically it sounded great after that. perhaps you could try also?

Had our first proper thick frost last night and I hate scraping the windows and I'm usually not too happy with de-icers either. I quite often just use a bit of cold or lukewarm water to clear the screen but it's messy and then I remember seeing this trick the other day.

The video I saw didn't include this particular gentleman but contrary to his comments it really does work. Just flick the wipers rather than allow the screen to freeze again like he did.

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

Yes. And he liked my car too.

In 1972 I had a brand new VW Type 3 Fastback in Texas Yellow.

I parked in on Double Yellow lines whilst I ran into a branch of Lloyds Bank to deposit a cheque.

I ran straight out of the Bank and back to my car to find a Traffic Warden standing next to it.

I apologised for my transgression and she remarked that she had never seen such a wonderful car in such a beautiful colour !!

I thanked her and drove off immediately.

Those days are long gone.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 2:51 PM, rich1068 said:

Point taken Jeff but I think I'm correct when I say it's not part of the regular maintenance schedule. And I'd be concerned about doing more harm than good. It seems to be a bit of a forum favourite, especially American forums that reflect a general obsession with fluid changes of all types.

Cheers Fred. I've resigned myself to the fact the stock system is poor. With the tweeters re-connected the BT via FM is passable but CDs are too bright. I can also get OK sound from a carefully recorded cassette. Yes, I still do this :biggrin: I've had home amps re-capped before but the sign they were failing was usually sound crackling or cutting in and out. I don't get that, just a lack of clarity.

Car looks good m8 nice colour and spec. Good you know how to do bits yourself as well.

I asked Lexus Edgware (Colindale) this week about the gearbox oil change as have always had autos changed around 50k even when 'sealed for life' they said it really doesn't need doing in fact better to not, and could be £ 8-900. At just hitting 50 k on mine my spidey sense says it's worth doing, but not at that price.

Im still inclined to do it though.

I had my mechanic do the gearbox on my IS300 a couple of times, but only a drain down and top up. Never had the pan taken off for a full drain. I guess the GS with the 2JZ uses the same box as my IS. I had the differential oil changed as well, but only once I'll admit.  

4 hours ago, Chris JJ said:

Car looks good m8 nice colour and spec. Good you know how to do bits yourself as well.

I asked Lexus Edgware (Colindale) this week about the gearbox oil change as have always had autos changed around 50k even when 'sealed for life' they said it really doesn't need doing in fact better to not, and could be £ 8-900. At just hitting 50 k on mine my spidey sense says it's worth doing, but not at that price.

Im still inclined to do it though.

Thank you for your kind words :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, gdh300 said:

I had my mechanic do the gearbox on my IS300 a couple of times, but only a drain down and top up. Never had the pan taken off for a full drain. I guess the GS with the 2JZ uses the same box as my IS. I had the differential oil changed as well, but only once I'll admit.  

Diff oil is on my list because it's in the service book.

1 minute ago, rich1068 said:

Thank you for your kind words :thumbsup:

Diff oil is on my list because it's in the service book.

I think its worth it. I seem to recall you could tell if your IS300 had LSD or 'open' diff from the the VIN number. 

15 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

I think its worth it. I seem to recall you could tell if your IS300 had LSD or 'open' diff from the the VIN number. 

If it's an LSD does it need a modifier as well as the oil, not had one for a long time but seem to remember having to add something to the LSD oil for the internal clutches.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links