Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New GS 300 owner saying hello!

If you use one of those online dictionaries to look up either "classy" or "tasteful" they direct you to this picture.

I can also confirm that I'm now doing airport runs...

IMG_20191126_081907441.jpg

9 hours ago, rich1068 said:

If you use one of those online dictionaries to look up either "classy" or "tasteful" they direct you to this picture.

I can also confirm that I'm now doing airport runs...

IMG_20191126_081907441.jpg

Oh, nice!

When I was a kid, my absolute favourite car was the Jensen Interceptor. Some of the later ones havd sheepskin seats; may be this is a way forward for the old GS? 😁 

On 11/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, Chris JJ said:

If it's an LSD does it need a modifier as well as the oil, not had one for a long time but seem to remember having to add something to the LSD oil for the internal clutches.

I think you can either put additives in 'normal' diff oil, or buy sort-of 'ready mix' oil. I think mine was the latter.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, gdh300 said:

Oh, nice!

When I was a kid, my absolute favourite car was the Jensen Interceptor. Some of the later ones havd sheepskin seats; may be this is a way forward for the old GS? 😁 

Knew you'd like that. And sheepskin seat covers? Oh my! Now wouldn't that be something else?!

1 hour ago, rich1068 said:

They are.... just beautiful. I'm lost for words. Fox fur accents. Oh my.

You'll have no need to ever go home. Just find a nice layby, and you are all set...

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 8:53 PM, rich1068 said:

They are.... just beautiful. I'm lost for words. Fox fur accents. Oh my.

My missus just sent me a link to the most brilliant;y nostalgic website, just here.

Flipping through the 1979/80 catalogue, I found this, and immediately thought of you...: 

2019-12-05.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, Just bought a 2014 GS300H Premier. This is my first Lexus after 25 years of driving Honda Legends so there are probably a lot of Lexus quirks that I'm not familiar with so may be back on here over the next few months for advice on various things that I haven't been able to sort out from the owner's manual!

Cheers, Dave

Welcome to the forum! I only got my similar car a couple of months ago, but I did have an IS250 for 7+ years before that!

Incidentally - did you get the slim 130-odd page User Guide plus the separate Navigation Owner's manual, and/or the full 1000+ page 'handbook'?

Mine came with nothing, (despite being Lexus Approved Used - the dealer eventually supplied the slim User Guide), but I bought a Nav owner's manual on eBay and downloaded the full Handbook from the 'My Lexus' site (where you can check service history etc)

I'm not sure I should recommend these old GS. It was inevitable that something would go wrong and it has, taking the shine off my latest bangernomics exercise. After only 130,000+ miles, just under 3,000 of those as my daily driver the electric aerial has packed up. Put with the blown number plate bulb a few weeks ago and I think we can safely say that Japanese cars just aren't as reliable as they used to be etc etc

I'm going to buy a 17 year old German car for less than a thousand pounds. I'm sure I'll have much better luck.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

I'm not sure I should recommend these old GS. It was inevitable that something would go wrong and it has, taking the shine off my latest bangernomics exercise. After only 130,000+ miles, just under 3,000 of those as my daily driver the electric aerial has packed up. Put with the blown number plate bulb a few weeks ago and I think we can safely say that Japanese cars just aren't as reliable as they used to be etc etc

I'm going to buy a 17 year old German car for less than a thousand pounds. I'm sure I'll have much better luck.

Been drinking again Richie ?

Of course! It's Christmas!

Interestingly I've found out that these Lexus units can be repaired. My options are a complete new unit (£££ and I think unnecessary as I can still hear the motor), a complete eBay/Amazon special (not keen) or one of the kits which I believe consists of the actual antennae and the toothed belt which raises and lowers it. Still not cheap for the genuine part but if it lasts another 17 years then it's all good.

Richie,

I bought a cheap one (about £12) off eBay for my 98 GS and it was absolutely fine. Unusually I had to take the motor but apart to remove a broken bit of belt but that was straightforward.

John 

• Like 1

Update on this. I have ordered the antennae and belt from Lexus. Pricey but I don't really mind if it does the job. It's an odd one, the car was so cheap but is so reliable I'm OK with spending a bit on it when required. Hopefully it should arrive in the next day or two.

Also, you probably know that I do use this car as my daily and as SWMBO currently doesn't require a vehicle it's also the family car. So off we went for our regular seasonal trip to Blackpool Paris for a couple of nights and the car performed flawlessly. Never missed a beat there and back. I don't think the economy figures are too bad either considering it was 5 up with a boot full of luggage. I had better on the way back from Inverness but that was mainly due to the cameras all along the A9.

Anyhoo, my little experiment to see if you can run this sort of motor on a day to day basis continues :biggrin:

IMG_20191230_113046434.jpg

IMG_20191231_095622018.jpg

IMG_20191231_095632838.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Richard

Delighted to hear that Leckie (Scottish diminutive for Alexis) continues to please. It may be as well to bear in mind its quiet previous existence in the Highlands, so exposing it to the vicarious delights of Blackpool Paris is bound to put a strain on various circuits - it would do me. Previously it was treated with a delicately applied breath of WD40 on the antenna and a (very) small nip of uisque beath in the petrol tank for its New year. It aids longevity. I will have a 20yo Macallan single malt as the New Year approaches for that purpose, too. Fortunately my new hip seems to be self-lubricating. Anyway my real  purpose is to wish you and your family a Happy New Year and Prosperity In All Your Enterprises in the coming year.

Best Wishes

Ron   

• Like 2

Hey Ron! Happy New Year to you and your family.

The car certainly does continue to please. I get the feeling that not many people outside this forum understand quite why I'm driving an 18 year old Lexus (my children certainly don't, Freda just keeps her piece) but I find it an extremely enjoyable and comfortable drive. I also have some cosmetic improvements in mind for 2020 if funds allow. 

As far as the antenna is concerned I think it's the constant up/down of stop/start town driving that has done for it. I've have previously put a little WD40 on it but I think it's wear on the toothed cable.

And not one for naming cars but Leckie is a nice touch. That might stick! But a nip of uisque you say? That may being going a little far for a car. Unless of course it's a blend :wink:

Took a little trip up the M180 to sunny Scunny today and picked up these beauties. Genuine OZ/Lexus accessories from back in the day. Shot blasted and powder coated these will look lovely!

IMG_20200104_135830481.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Right then. Back to this stereo.

I'm assured by people who know about this sort of thing that the stock unit and amp aren't bad and a speaker upgrade is the way to go if I can't replace the head unit. Which I can't. So I was all set to pull the trigger on some fancy 4" Alpine 2 ways and spoke to someone at Car Audio Centre in Nottingham. He wasn't familiar with the second gen GS but when I told him I intended to put them in the bottom of the door he did say that might not be a good idea and mentioned that further investigation may be required because the factory amp may only send mid range frequencies there, high frequencies to the tweeter. Putting two ways in the door might be a waste of time. I wouldn't get that clarity and separation I'm after.

Does this make sense? If it doesn't it's because I'm not describing the conversation properly rather than him not knowing what he was talking about. Does the amp in the GS do this?

Help!

That does make sense. Been a while since I’ve rooted around a gen 2 GS, but I don’t remember seperate high frequency feeds from the amp, so the tweeters are just paralleled off. You’d just need to decide if the tweeters by the mirror mounts should be disconnected or not (depending on how you want it all to sound).

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1