Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New GS 300 owner saying hello!

With the cheap Pioneers in and the tweeters disconnected it didn't sound much different from stock but with the tweeters connected it's too bright. Might go for the Alpines and hope for the best :unsure:

Fitted them today and the difference in sound is like night and day. Obviously the cheap Pioneers were on a par with stock hence no improvement.

Next bit of spare cash and I'm putting some in the rear doors too :biggrin:

Spent a lovely afternoon touring the Peak District listening to BBC Light Programme. Billy Cotton in session. Then we pulled over for a bit of Housewives' Choice :wink:

Currently putting together some mix tapes again, now I like the stereo and all.

On 1/26/2020 at 3:57 PM, royoftherovers said:

Richie,

if you can pick up Radios Luxembourg or Caroline, I might be interested in buying four !

Now those were the days waiting for it to get dark to get good reception from Luxembourg if you lived in the midlands or northward, and having to re tune slightly as the valves warmed up the tuning coils making the program appear to drift from it's frequency at 208 mtrs medium wave.

John.

24 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I was a fervent listener to Jimmy Saville`s  Teen and Twenty Disc Club, ((TTDC) way before he became infamous.

And if I remember correctly member no. 11321 was Elvis.  Happy Days.

Absolutely correct Saville also ran poignantly the under the bedclothes club. I was very sad the day Luxembourg stopped it's English transmissions. Nothing has successfully  replaced it including radio one.

John.

• Like 1

Long wave and medium wave on my GS but why anyone would want either is beyond me. Even back in the pre-FM days I rarely listened to the radio because the sound was so unbearably awful. I can imagine listening to TMS but definitely not music.

Anyhoo, in lieu of functioning parking sensors I've decided to buy blindingly bright LED reverse lights. There's some logic there somewhere. Old on the left, new on the right.

IMG_20200204_153755.jpg

I also fitted an O2 sensor spacer to hopefully reduce the number of times the emissions light pops up. I'll try and get a pic later.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of an update. Not too interesting because this car just works and requires little or no upkeep.

I had been getting the P0430 code for a while. Usually after a motorway run. It would go away on its own or if I was being impatient I'd use Techstream but then that would pose its own problems re: C1336. So I thought I'd try sensor spacers. Yay! No more P0430. Instead I got P0156 :ohmy: Decided to give the whole spacer idea up as a bad job and removed it and yes you've guessed it, I've not had P0430 back either. This car is like a reverse Christine. Head scratching stuff and I can only imagine that if the code does stay away it was possibly an issue with the sensor not the cats and the remove and refit process in some way "fixed" it.

Should be getting the refurb'd wheels on any day now too.

It's an odd one. I've had such luck with this car, everything turns out to be nothing. Long may it continue!

I use a company round the corner from me, CBF Powder Coating. A bit slow this time round but I know he's busy and short staffed. But this will be my 5th set of wheels in the last 2.5 years and they always look great.

Ah yes, CBF are just around the corner from the Lexus dealership. 

I have them tag'd within Google Maps already so someone else must have recommended them before, maybe even you!

They're much closer to me than Wheel Furb (Tamworth) and @Britprius alloys looked great from them.

Will be keen to see pic's once yours are sorted Richard.

Probably was me. I had the IS, RX and both 9-5s all done by them.

There are some excellent firms within 5 minutes walk of my office that I use regularly and most are also used by Lexus Sheffield for non warranty work. CBF currently have a brand new IS in (the transport tape is still on the body panels) which is getting its wheels done in black, Sean at Xavier Motors does an excellent job on body repairs and paint and Wayne at ADS works wonders on small dents and cosmetic work. I also use Steel City MX5 / SG Motors for tracking and balancing and who I can also thoroughly recommend.

If Dave could move a bit closer it would be perfect!

• Like 1

Yesterday I finally got fed up of the FM transmitter doo-daa that I normally use to stream Spotify. They're OK and I've used them in various motors but since changing the speakers their failings are a little more obvious. I remembered that I'd still got my GROM aux unit from when I ran the IS and wondered if the supplied cable (TOY1) was the same for both cars. As the GS has the factory nav I expected all sorts of connection oddness and even if it did fit I assumed I'd lose the glovebox autochanger. 

So out with the pry tool and 10mm socket and within 5 minutes the whole head unit is out. Ashtray first, air vents next, 4x 10mm bolts and a little plastic clip. Easy peasy. Love working on these cars! Anyhoo, TOY1 cable fitted so I plugged in the aux unit and everything works. Pressed the DISC button again and I've still got my autochanger. Result!

So, looks a little messy and I've still got to route the 3.5mm cable properly but job done. When funds allow I might treat myself to the BT unit but for now this is perfect.

IMG_20200224_155442.jpg

IMG_20200224_155508.jpg

IMG_20200224_155832.jpg

IMG_20200224_155839.jpg

IMG_20200224_161219.jpg

• Like 2

It's that luck thing I keep having with this car. Ron's 20p under the carpet as far as I'm concerned.

It does sound much, much better. Not quite CD quality as the source (Spotify) is compressed but far better that the FM transmitter. I also have the option to store WAV etc files on my phone to play via the aux cable. When using the FM transmitter the source is already compressed, it's compressed further when it's transmitted via BT from the phone to the dongle and then again as an FM signal picked up by the radio. 

However, I will miss the little samples of everyone else's music you get when you're sat in traffic :biggrin:

Can anyone confirm the length of time required to wait before the car will start after disconnecting the Battery? I've read 7 minutes on here but I'd like some confirmation. Unfortunately I don't have a manual.