Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Catalytic Converter Thefts

PaulG

Hello, I have literally just bought a new Lexus NX 300h within the last 3 weeks, being my first Lexus and love the car so far. What really concerns me is the high level of catalytic converter thefts in 2019 from cars within the Toyota group, how does this effect the new Lexus NX models as can only find info on thefts from the older 4x4 Lexus models such as the 400h ? Should I be worried ? Any comments would be welcome.

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks for your comments and you are right, not much we can do about it until naturally the price of the materials making up this part goes down and the thieves cease to make good money.

I have decided to beat the thieves by removing my own catalytic converter from my RX and running a stainless custom made exhaust. As we don't have MOT's on the Isle of Man and no emissions testing, this will not be a problem.

To be honest, the car has 3 catalytic converters as standard so will be leaving 2 in place and just removing the 3rd.

And if I'm being brutally honest, we don't have that kind of crime here either so I'm just looking for excuses to have a custom exhaust made for my baby.

IT PAYS TO STAY VIGILANT!!!! [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Casa1862 said:

Seems more common on hybrids, bbc on it now.

Quote from the BBC:

Since hybrid cars have two power sources - electric and petrol or diesel - the catalytic converter is used less frequently to process pollutants. The metals are less likely to corrode, meaning they are worth more and thus attractive to thieves.

I remember from chemistry lessons at school more than 45 years ago that a catalyst speeds up a chemical reaction but remains unchanged by the reaction, so brand new or 20 years old, hybrid or non-hybrid, the precious metal catalyst is just as viable.

• 1 month later...