Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX 450H Air Suspension Conversion

Hello all

Can I convert my 2010 450H from air suspension to regular hydraulic/springs or whatever they are??

I have issues with the air at the moment the strut top is knackered and I have to replace the whole strut. They have quoted me £2500 for each end...

Many thanks 

Geoff

I am currently in the process of fixing mine for the same reason. The bearing in the passenger side top mount has completely disintegrated (see picture) so I have just removed them and am sending them through to Brian at Orchard Engineering to have the bearing replaced. He has quoted £60 each plus postage to send them back.

The job of removing them is a damn site more simple than I originally imagined, I have just removed them both in under an hour, in the rain, (it always takes longer if it's raining) on axle stands. I didn't even have to remove the wheels to do it!f641cea7e076764870525a2ffd16083e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like 4

5 hours ago, inchley313 said:

I am currently in the process of fixing mine for the same reason. The bearing in the passenger side top mount has completely disintegrated (see picture) so I have just removed them and am sending them through to Brian at Orchard Engineering to have the bearing replaced. He has quoted £60 each plus postage to send them back.

The job of removing them is a damn site more simple than I originally imagined, I have just removed them both in under an hour, in the rain, (it always takes longer if it's raining) on axle stands. I didn't even have to remove the wheels to do it!f641cea7e076764870525a2ffd16083e.jpg

Hi 

I've found this guy as well, he's got great feedback. I've passed it on to my local garage who said that they would give him a call

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I spoke to Brian on Monday, what a fantastic bloke, very knowledgeable and helpful. Stripped the top mounts off Monday afternoon, packed them and posted them Tuesday morning from the Isle of Man to his workshop at Orchard Engineering in Gloucestershire.

He emailed the invoice, sent me a text once he had recieved the parts on Wednesday, I sent payment once he had seen them to make sure they could be done, and they were back with me, on the Isle of Man by 10:30am today (Thursday).

Not only were the new bearings fitted but he had also given them a splash of paint!!

So impressed with the speed, price and quality of the job, a real breath of fresh air!!

Would highly recommend Orchard Engineering for top mount repairs, I'm still astounded at the 3 days from start to finish... to and from the Isle of Man... we can't even get a phone call back from companies on this Island in that time frame!!!83a61396e95b944f3d17c65597b7581c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Do all 450h models have air suspension? I am not familiar with this model only my RX300.

No, only the SE-L or Premier as I think it became known. I purposely avoided air like the plague so I definitely know that my 2013 Advance doesn't have it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There will be an indicator in the dash and a ride height button plus on in the boot .

if you have been quoted £5000 just take out an extended warranty at another dealer and give it a week or so and take the car to them hey presto free repair but shhhh don't let the people on her know or they will tut tut me and say your go to hell lol but hey it's your choice I know what I would do and the Lexus dealer won't give a monkeys as to say as the rich money grabbing warranty company will pay them .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lager shandy said:

There will be an indicator in the dash and a ride height button plus on in the boot .

Thanks. I didn’t quite understand, maybe I am being a bit thick, what is a “ride height button plus on” in the boot ?

13 minutes ago, Bl1ng said:

Thanks. I didn’t quite understand, maybe I am being a bit thick, what is a “ride height button plus on” in the boot ?

Let me put it this way - "There will be an indicator in the dash and a ride height button, plus one in the boot"

Here's the whole page for you 

Electronically modulated air suspension

Lexus RX / Lexus RX 450H User Manual / When driving / Using other driving systems / Electronically modulated air suspension

The electronically modulated air suspension allows the driver to control vehicle height in order to adjust driving conditions.

Select the desired height with the height selector switch.

1. Multi-information display.

1. Multi-information display.

2. Electronically modulated air suspension indicator.

3. Height control off button.

4. Height selector switch (driver’s side instrument panel).

5. Height selector switch (luggage

5. Height selector switch (luggage compartment).

Selecting vehicle height

Height modes

“HI” mode: For driving on bumpy roads.

1.2 in. (30 mm) higher than the normal height.

“HI” mode cannot be selected when vehicle speed exceeds 19 mph (30 km/h).

“N” mode: For ordinary driving.

Normal height.

“LO” mode: For sporty driving.

Vehicle front: 0.8 in. (20 mm) lower than the normal height.

Vehicle rear: 0.2 in. (5 mm) lower than the normal height.

Luggage mode: For easy entry/exit and easy luggage loading/ unloading.

1.2 in. (30 mm) lower than the normal height.

Height selector switch

- Press the height selector switch for approximately 1 second.

Driver's side instrument panel

1. Higher.

1. Higher.

Pressing this switch while the vehicle is in luggage mode changes the vehicle height to that of “N” mode.

2. Lower.

Pressing the switch while the vehicle is in “LO” mode changes the vehicle height to that of luggage mode.

- Luggage compartment.

1. Higher.

1. Higher.

Pressing this switch while the vehicle is in luggage mode changes the vehicle height to that of “N” mode.

2. Lower.

Pressing this switch while the vehicle is in “N” mode changes the vehicle height to that of luggage mode, not “LO” mode.

Electronically modulated air suspension indicator

The indicator for the selected

The indicator for the selected mode will come on.

The indicator will flash while the vehicle height is being changed to the height of the selected mode.

Disabling the height control

Press the height control off button

Press the height control off button while the vehicle is stopped. A message will appear on the multiinformation display, and vehicle
height will be fixed in the current mode.

When vehicle speed exceeds 19 mph (30 km/h), the electronically modulated air suspension is reenabled automatically.

Operating conditions

After stopping the hybrid system, the vehicle will remain lowered for a maximum of
60 seconds.

Height selector switch (driver's side instrument panel) • While the hybrid system is operating, any vehicle height mode can be selected.

• Luggage mode can only be selected when the shift lever is in the P position.

Height selector switch (luggage compartment) • When the hybrid system is operating and the shift lever is in the P position, any
vehicle height other than “LO” mode can be selected.

• When the “POWER” switch is turned off, the vehicle height can only be lowered (only the “∨” side of the switch can be operated).

This switch can only be operated when the back door is open.

Height control off button When the vehicle is stopped with the “POWER” switch in ON mode, vehicle height control can be disabled/re-enabled.

When changing vehicle height modes

Before operating the height selector switch to raise/lower the vehicle height,
ensure that there are no objects in the surrounding area that could damage the vehicle.

When “N” mode is selected

During high speed driving, the vehicle height will automatically change to that of
“LO” mode.

When “HI” mode is selected

The vehicle height will change to that of “N” mode when vehicle speed reaches 31
mph (50 km/h) or when vehicle speed has exceeded 19 mph (30 km/h) for approximately 10 seconds. Even if vehicle speed is then reduced to under 19 mph (30 km/h), height will not return to “HI” mode.

When “LO” mode is selected

The vehicle height will change to that of “N” mode when the hybrid system is restarted.

When luggage mode is selected

If the vehicle begins to move while still in luggage mode, the vehicle will automatically
change to “N” mode once speed exceeds 5 mph (8 km/h). Even if vehicle speed is reduced below 5 mph (8 km/h), the vehicle height will not automatically return to luggage mode.

Operating sound of the air suspension

When the vehicle height is lowered, such as when entering and loading the vehicle,
or when the height selector switch is operated, the sound of the compressor operating
or the mode changing may be heard. This does not indicate a malfunction.

Automatic leveling function

Regardless of the number of occupants and the luggage load, vehicle height in any
mode is always adjusted to a fixed height by the automatic leveling function.

Vehicle height mode change time

If the height control is operated continuously to lower the vehicle, the suspension
air tank may become full, causing operation of the vehicle height lowering control to become slow.

To protect the compressor, the system will only raise the vehicle for a total of
100 consecutive seconds. If it takes longer than this to reach the selected height, operation may be suspended shortly and then restart. However, it may not be possible to change the vehicle's height mode at this time.

The electronically modulated air suspension will not operate when

The vehicle height control may not be able to change modes when the vehicle runs
over a high curb or other rugged surfaces where the suspension is stretched.

CAUTION:
The electronically modulated air suspension must be disabled when The electronically modulated air suspension must be disabled in the following situations
as vehicle height may change, resulting in accidental damage: Any of the wheels is stuck in a ditch.

It is necessary to jack up the vehicle.

It is necessary to tow the vehicle with part of it lifted.

When connecting/disconnecting a trailer For safety, stop the hybrid system if necessary.

NOTICE:
“HI” mode
“HI” mode should be used for off-road driving. As the vehicle's center of gravity is
higher in this setting, the vehicle may become unstable if an abrupt turn is made.

Do not select “HI” mode when loading cargo on the roof luggage carrier. This may result in a loss of control or vehicle rollover.

Do not select “LO” mode when driving on bumpy roads.

If the underbody of the vehicle touches a rugged road surface, the vehicle may be
damaged. Also be careful when driving while the vehicle is automatically returning
from luggage or “LO” mode to “N” mode.

Automatic return to “N” mode In the following situations, the height of the vehicle will automatically increase. Be
careful in any place where overhead space is limited.

The vehicle begins to move while still in luggage mode.

The hybrid system is restarted while the vehicle is in “LO” mode.

Vehicle height while parked If the temperature changes or the vehicle is parked for a long time, the vehicle height may decrease.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 5:51 PM, Stefan213 said:

Well i had a thought that my air suspension is strange... when going on motorway i have to manual put it on LOW its not going automatic. Any ideeas?

Thanks

Drive faster 

• Haha 1

Well i had a thought that my air suspension is strange... when going on motorway i have to manual put it on LOW its not going automatic. Any ideeas?
Thanks

Mine never changes the display on the dash, always showing ‘N’ however, if I leave the motorway at a short slip road I hear the compressor working when I reach the roundabout at the top. I’ve always just assumed that it does it without changing the display.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Hi there,

I may sound a bit silly, but I wanted to ask a question if the RX300 and the bigger engined brothers have the same actual suspension? I am getting a mild depression over the SE-L's air suspension and would like to swap it out for the spring one (I have just had 3rd strut fail on me due to rust on the tank on the top of the strut).

I know it is a relatively straightforward swap, however I am unsure if I will need any extra parts apart from the struts, and if the 450h model ones are any different than the 300?

Also, sorry for advertising myself but I am willing to be a helpful person as well, so if there is anyone in need of Techstream - I am willing to help out 🙂

• 5 months later...

From all that discussion about trims, it did not become clear - is it possible to convert to "normal suspension" or not, and what does it actually take? I am aiming at RX350 from 2010, gonna take a look at one the coming week, but air suspension does not make sense to me. The compressor alone is priced at 1.6K GBP, or at least the price I was quoted with. 

33 minutes ago, vvpacc said:

From all that discussion about trims, it did not become clear - is it possible to convert to "normal suspension" or not, and what does it actually take? I am aiming at RX350 from 2010, gonna take a look at one the coming week, but air suspension does not make sense to me. The compressor alone is priced at 1.6K GBP, or at least the price I was quoted with. 

It is possible to convert......have seen a couple of guys do it.....either reported here or on the Facebook page for Lexus UK owners.  Does not seem particularly difficult just time consuming.  Whilst faults are rare on the air suspension they are expensive to fix.  Also people report that the ride is actually harder than on  normal suspension.  Note that the next generation RX450h did not have air suspension on any of the models.

The replacement of air suspension to sprung suspension on RX450h mk3 is technically possible, but you need to replace both front and rear, and disable the air suspension controller.

The front is easy, because the spring is on the strut, and the fixing points are identical for air and sprung.

The problem is at the rear: since sprigs are separate from shock absorbers, and the lower rear wishbone is different for air and spring suspension, you’ll have to replace the wishbones(£50 each side used) add top spring mounts (£30 each side used), put springs (£100 each side new), and ideally replace shock absorbers (the ones for sprung suspension have longer travel). Add labour (about 3 hours front & rear) and all four wheels alignment (£60).

I also find that it is difficult to find used rear springs for this car, because they tend to snap with age.

With all the replacements considered, the rear suspension swap becomes quite expensive.

There are also reports online, that some traction safety systems may stop working if you remove the Air suspension system fuse.