Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wheel alignment / tracking - caster adjustment

pshawfocus

Had this done today at Wheel Power in SW4 as I had gotten the feeling that things weren’t quite right  As suspected, things were a bit adrift so they’ve all been adjusted (and the car feels a lot better) but the garage advised that they can’t adjust the front caster?  Mine is only out by a tiny, tiny amount so they suggested any adjustment would barely be noticeable anyway.  But if I wanted to get this done the next time I change my tyres, can anyone recommend a garage in the (ideally South) London area that has the right equipment or will I need to go to my Lexus stealer? Mucho gracias    

Oh it’s just a bit out so that’s fine.

Castor angle is adjusting the lower control arm adjustment?

If so that’s the ****** that burns up the inside tyre tread...I have no idea why that garage couldn’t do that. It may be time for new control arm bushes...

and a new garage.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Tinonline said:

Oh it’s just a bit out so that’s fine.

Castor angle is adjusting the lower control arm adjustment?

If so that’s the ****** that burns up the inside tyre tread...I have no idea why that garage couldn’t do that. It may be time for new control arm bushes...

and a new garage.

They have a habit of becoming seized up and they cant be bothered to do the job properly.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 9:26 PM, Tinonline said:

new control arm bushes...

If the control arm bushes are tired / need replacing, what does that do to the handling?  My GS450h get’s strongly nudged off course unless the road is mirror smooth. I thought it was the wheel alignment but seems not.  I’m also going to check the tyre pressures (hopefully not upsetting the TPMS),  I know very low profile, wide tyres can tramline more than conventional tyres with deeper side walls but it feels somewhat excessive to me compared to other cars I’ve owned, which have been similarly equipped in the past.   There is periodic mention of drop links (sp?) on other threads - could they also be the cause of the steering having a mind of it’s own?

On 10/15/2019 at 7:46 PM, pshawfocus said:

If the control arm bushes are tired / need replacing, what does that do to the handling?  My GS450h get’s strongly nudged off course unless the road is mirror smooth. I thought it was the wheel alignment but seems not.  I’m also going to check the tyre pressures (hopefully not upsetting the TPMS),  I know very low profile, wide tyres can tramline more than conventional tyres with deeper side walls but it feels somewhat excessive to me compared to other cars I’ve owned, which have been similarly equipped in the past.   There is periodic mention of drop links (sp?) on other threads - could they also be the cause of the steering having a mind of it’s own?

Worn drop links do not alter the steering geometry. They cause a knocking noise on uneven ground. In severe cases where a link is actually broken will cause excessive body roll.

John.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks John.  Having spent the past few days treking up and down various motorways along with town, urban and country roads where, unless the road surface is super smooth the GS tramlines horribly, I’m guessing the best next step will be to replace the tyres based on experiences of other owners on here?  The ones on the car don’t look too bad but they aren’t Dunlop Sports Maxx which I believe were the recommended fit?