Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Steering wheel power tilt auto away issue

I've got a very strange issue where sometimes the steering wheel power tilt auto-away feature will move the wheel to a much higher position than normal, and higher than what I can achieve with the control manually. Most of the time the auto away will move it back to the same maximum height that I can achieve with the control knob. On the rare occasion it does this, the motor even makes a slightly higher pitched noise, which brings it even more to my attention. My gut tells me something isn't quite right here.

Anyone have any thoughts about this or experienced a similar issue?

• 1 month later...

Mystery has been solved. Took car into dealership to have a look at this and fix creaky centre console (which they did a great job, Lexus Cambridge are the best!) Anyway, turns out there is a hidden feature where if you click up 8 times, it will move the steering wheel rack to a higher position for those that need it. The dealership didn't even know this was a feature and it isn't documented, they discovered this by accident when trying to reproduce the problem.

So guys, if you want the steering wheel higher than the max default, click up 8 times on the control knob, and it'll move up another inch. It will reset though once you turn the car off. The tech guy seems to think that the auto away does this sometimes just for its own maintenance to ensure the motors go through full range of motion 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LordByronUK said:

Mystery has been solved. Took car into dealership to have a look at this and fix creaky centre console (which they did a great job, Lexus Cambridge are the best!) Anyway, turns out there is a hidden feature where if you click up 8 times, it will move the steering wheel rack to a higher position for those that need it. The dealership didn't even know this was a feature and it isn't documented, they discovered this by accident when trying to reproduce the problem.

So guys, if you want the steering wheel higher than the max default, click up 8 times on the control knob, and it'll move up another inch. It will reset though once you turn the car off. The tech guy seems to think that the auto away does this sometimes just for its own maintenance to ensure the motors go through full range of motion 

The LS has the same feature where it extends further as well, but I'm guessing these settings can't be programmed to the memory, or can they?

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

The LS has the same feature where it extends further as well, but I'm guessing these settings can't be programmed to the memory, or can they?

Not to my knowledge no, after turning the car off it all reset back to the default max height. Maybe those with memory seats may have more luck.

• Like 1