Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nightmare, 3rd party pulled straight out of a carpark on the opposite side of the road and straight into my side. He said his passenger said it was clear. Straight up the hospital as my wife had pains in her neck and she has a tear in her muscle in her neck. She's already in a cast on her left leg having had an operation a few weeks ago so she's going through the mill at the moment. Getting a courtesy car tomorrow and will have to see what the repair shop says when it goes in. Dreading the obvious "economically irreparable" result. Groan!!540a7014a3ba2bc1943de9f2b379a88a.jpg713c287391f83b4fd0ca9304de4ae122.jpg

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

Try to avoid going through your Insurance Company and sue him if necessary for the cost of putting you back in the position you were in before he hit you.
Take legal advice asap.
It's all in hand with my insurers and solicitors already so watch this space.

• Like 1

What a bugger, sorry to hear this

Is she still driveable and doors open and close ok ?

if it happens to be a write-off for insce purposes and you want to keep the car and have it repaired at a sensible price , assuming there's nothing structural affected, then see about buying the salvage off the insurers and pocketing a few £££ into the deal

if it's just the two doors then you might be lucky with a sensibly priced non-insurance repair, even though the insurers pay you out ( eventually ) 

Malc

• Like 1

What a bugger, sorry to hear this
Is she still driveable and doors open and close ok ?
if it happens to be a write-off for insce purposes and you want to keep the car and have it repaired at a sensible price , assuming there's nothing structural affected, then see about buying the salvage off the insurers and pocketing a few £££ into the deal
if it's just the two doors then you might be lucky with a sensibly priced non-insurance repair, even though the insurers pay you out ( eventually ) 
Malc
Yes it's still wafting along like nothing happened. If they do write it off I'm going to buy the car back, buy a couple of doors and put them on myself. I've seen a couple of blue ones on eBay for £85 each plus £15 each for delivery, so a little bit of tlc on the rear wheel arch and I reckon it'll be good to go.

• Like 3

Good for you. Let's keep these cars on the road.

This is one of the things that worries me about all my cars. Some idiot not concentrating and hitting either of the Saabs or Lexus and he/she gets theirs repaired and mine get written off.

• Like 1

Good for you. Let's keep these cars on the road.
This is one of the things that worries me about all my cars. Some idiot not concentrating and hitting either of the Saabs or Lexus and he/she gets theirs repaired and mine get written off.
.....and seeing as he had a newish Volvo estate all he needs done to his is a t-cut and the number plate sticking back on.

Stick with it, its all our worst nightmare I can only add my sincere comiserations but on the brightside you are already gearing up for the repair, front door looks like it could be fettled but the back is definitly a write off. The replacement door you have in mind will match perfectly in colour all Lexus colours are exactly the same on the colour code.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Try to avoid going through your Insurance Company and sue him if necessary for the cost of putting you back in the position you were in before he hit you.

Take legal advice asap.

Going this route is all well and good as long as he has money, if you go through the legal route and then find out he hasn't got a brass farthing  you've just thrown good money after bad and you will be in an even worse position.

That said I am so sorry your pride and joy has been so badly injured. My own LS400 is in having her body work sorted after being assaulted by a Land Rover. I am hoping to get her back today.

• Like 2

Never nice to see a damaged car.🤬
Hope the wife heals well and you get your car fixed up. :thumbup:

As for the new-ish Volvo, could be a company car or a Lease or even on PCP.
Never assume nice car means the owner has money.

• Like 3

Well, Not sure what is going to happen with my car yet whether or not it'll be written off, but to be on the safe side, and to keep the "continuity up", so's to speak, I've covered my options....e219444f5363bffd785ff86ecd44c1d4.jpg

Mark. sorry to hear of your problem. Fortunately the third party has already admitted liability, and driving without due care. This is because the driver of a car should not take notice of a passengers instructions. It is up to the driver to check for him or her self. 
Your plan on buying back the car is a sensible one, and something I have done on two occasions. Both times I got the car back by sending a letter to my insurance after receiving a settlement offer stating that I thought the offer was derisory but would accept the offer with the salvage. On both occasions this was immediately accepted by the insurance companies.  

John. 

• Like 2

Well I've just had an email confirming the worse, it's been written off as a cat.'N'. Not structurally damaged but uneconomical to repair. £300 if I want to keep it and it'll cost £200 for replacement doors so as much as I'd like to keep it I need to let it go to get the plates put on my new car and tax and insure that. Sad but I've got too much going on with everything else.

• Sad 1

I just couldn't do it. I couldn't confine her to the scrappy. So despite what I said before I'm buying her back. So now I'm on the lookout for the front o/s door and the rear o/s door. I've got my feelers out on a website called breaker link and have had a couple of quotes at - £360 and £527 delivered but both the wrong colour so then there's the cost of re-painting so I'll keep searching. The colour I need is Canterbury blue but if a good price hits my email box then I may be able to factor in a repaint

• Like 1

Mark
Have you tried Mr Frost ?
I've been told about Paul frost but haven't been able to locate anything. I'm not on Facebook although I did try looking on my wife's phone. Do you have any contact details? [emoji106]

On 9/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, Bluesman said:

Going this route is all well and good as long as he has money, if you go through the legal route and then find out he hasn't got a brass farthing  you've just thrown good money after bad and you will be in an even worse position.

That said I am so sorry your pride and joy has been so badly injured. My own LS400 is in having her body work sorted after being assaulted by a Land Rover. I am hoping to get her back today.

A bit late with the update. Got her back looking all nice once again. I have to get a couple of bonnet hinges as one of them is bent but not by much. So we are all happy once again.

Just one thing, I have been inundated  by phone calls from ambulance chasers wanting my wife to sue me for injuries as they say there is £3000 that has already been set aside for her. I just tell them to send it to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1