Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Patience Pays Off

shotwood

So it took almost 4 months of patient waiting, delays and foul-ups, but I'm finally driving my imported Altezza. :D

The shipping shortage from Japan was the primary cause of the delay, but it wasn't helped by a lack of information from the import agent. I wasn't informed that the car wouldn't start at the dockside until a week had passed... The worrying thing was, the transport firm used couldn't get the car started even when attempting a jump-start. :ohmy:

When I finally managed to get it transported to the SVA workshop, they informed me that several fuses had blown - usually caused by an attempt to jump-start the vehicle with the leads on the wrong terminals... Apparently, I was very lucky that the ECU wasn't fried. If I import another car, I'll sort out the transport from dockside to SVA myself. Can you imagine the difficulty of proving who was liabile in this case? :blink:

Anyway, drove it back from Bristol to Norfolk last week, 250 miles of M5, M4, M25 M11 et al with no number plates, and guess what? Despite passing numerous police vehicles, I wasn't stopped once. Had great fun through the speed cameras though... :lol:

It's now been registered and alarmed and has one happy bunny behind the wheel. The only fault I can find so far is with the aftermarket suspension - seems pretty, no make that very, firm to me. The rear suspension mounts have an adjustment wheel, which turns and appears to have no effect and is branded 'GAB'. The fronts have a slotted plastic screw which I will not turn. Anyone got any ideas on how to adjust these? I don't want to force the issue and break anything!

Oh and I suppose I could add the zorst is a bit on the loud side. Sounds great, except when accelerating past a police vehicle... and the missus reckons I'm a big kid, and who am I to disagree with her? :driving: :D

Congartulations Mate!!!

I Know who you should have used to import your car!! :winky: :whistling:

At least you have her here and all is well. Get some piccies buddy and post them up..... What plans you got for it then?

I must admit some of the exhausts those Japanese guys put on the Tez, are VERY earsplitting!! But it sure puts the frighteners up the local boy racers.. :lol:

Once again, i`m made up for you mate, i know how long you have been waiting for it!!!

Scott

I Know who you should have used to import your car!! :winky: :whistling:

At least you have her here and all is well. Get some piccies buddy and post them up..... What plans you got for it then?

:) :)

I wonder who that would be? :whistling: After the last experience, I'll take you up on that.

As for plans, well, first I've got to explain to the missus how much it cost.

She's seen the FOB price. I forgot to metion the import duties and SVA charges... Oh and the alarm as well... :whistling::shifty:

Once I've got over the hospital stay and bruising, I may look at changing the suspension and seats. Some new wheels would be nice, and then...

Ouch.. Coming dearest.

:hehe:

Sounds sweet.

Get some pics up pls!

Who and where did you import it from if you don't mind me asking (Perhaps I'll PM you instead)

No, I don't mind at all. Check your PM's

I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

I Know who you should have used to import your car!! :winky:  :whistling:

At least you have her here and all is well.  Get some piccies buddy and post them up..... What plans you got for it then?

I wonder who that would be? :whistling: After the last experience, I'll take you up on that.

She's seen the FOB price. I forgot to metion the import duties and SVA charges... Oh and the alarm as well... :whistling::shifty:

Once I've got over the hospital stay and bruising, I may look at changing the suspension and seats. Some new wheels would be nice, and then...

Ouch.. Coming dearest.

When you want seats.... let me know......

As for wheels i should be getting hold of some 18" Toora`s soon(LIKE MINE) good as new with tyres.... let me know if your interested!!

I Know who you should have used to import your car!! :winky:  :whistling:

At least you have her here and all is well.  Get some piccies buddy and post them up..... What plans you got for it then?

Ouch.. Coming dearest.

Don`t tell her.... Just don`t tell her!!! Then you can justify all the mods your gonna do!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

I am looking in getting myself an Altezza, but need some advise from you guys who have been importing your cars. I am in the very early stages by searching for one, I had a look at Bonsaicars and looks they got some good stuff, are there any other sites that you can recommend.

What is the whole process to get the car on the road in the UK, do you have to go through an Import agent or can you do it yourself.

Any info would help.

Thanks

process would run something along the lines of: find car in Japan, buy it, get someone to check (reverse order if you can!) get the car de-registered and on to a ship to the uk, then get the car undersealed, preferably de-retricted, a fog light added if needed, the tyres changed, and the speedo converted, send for an SVA test, hope it passes, send resulting docs to DVLA to get a V5 & then register it in your name. The SVA has just got harder due to needing a model report (how car behaves in a collision) and you will have to rent one. The main reason for an Altezza having problems in the SVA test is emissions. It might be easier (an quicker) if you can source one over here where all of this has already been done.

If you you are looking to get someone to do the legwork, I would speak to either

AltezzaScott

or

Supercharged IS340 <------- I think thats his online name

If there's something they don't know, it's not worth knowing.

The main reason for an Altezza having problems in the SVA test is emissions.

This may be down to who carries out the SVA preparation. Mine had no problems and she's got a TOM'S ecu fitted. If anything was going to cause problems, I would guess this would, though I stand to be corrected.

What is the whole process to get the car on the road in the UK, do you have to go through an Import agent or can you do it yourself

Depends on how much work/research you want to do yourself, and the degree of risk you are prepared to take in order to save money.

I don't mind admitting that I was lucky. I hadn't factored in the possibility of a duff jump start wrecking my ECU. As it was it just cost me an extra £140 for the transport and fuses.

An agent has to absorb this risk, but then you pay extra. It's like all things in life, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Personally, I'm glad I took the risk, but then that's me. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

i send my cars via Cyprus for esva, it takes the car longer to arrive, but they always pass because there prepared properly, plus i get the cars cambelts and service done while there there.

plus if you want it, u can get the insde retrimmed in full leather for around £500

Emissions test is unlikely to be affcted by ECU thats just remaps etc, generally when people have removed the cat and have a straight through exhaust they have problems with emissions thats why people are often fiddling with exhausts before SVA and having to refit parts.

One piece of advice with getting your Tez, don't get an accident damaged car, I know that AltezzaScott only deals with grade 4 and higher jobs, no accident rubbish so you can't go wrong there!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links