Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ux Dash Cam

Martin

I installed my old Nextbase Duo as soon as I took delivery of my UX in late March. I used the standard Nextbase Hardwire kit piggy backing into the fuse box under the glove box. Worked fine but was having issues with the same camera on my Elan so put the one from the Lexus into the Elan and bought a new unit for the UX

Went for the Nextbase 522 and their Rear window add on camera and it installed without any problems using the existing hard wire kit.

I always go for a rear view camera as well as I have been hit up the rear a  couple of times! (The car not me!)

John 

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2019 at 9:50 AM, John Hutton said:

Martin

I installed my old Nextbase Duo as soon as I took delivery of my UX in late March. I used the standard Nextbase Hardwire kit piggy backing into the fuse box under the glove box. Worked fine but was having issues with the same camera on my Elan so put the one from the Lexus into the Elan and bought a new unit for the UX

Went for the Nextbase 522 and their Rear window add on camera and it installed without any problems using the existing hard wire kit.

I always go for a rear view camera as well as I have been hit up the rear a  couple of times! (The car not me!)

John 

Hi Martin, which fuse did you tap into? I'm receiving the UX in March and would like to do this also! 

On 2/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, rayaans said:

Hi Martin, which fuse did you tap into? I'm receiving the UX in March and would like to do this also! 

Rayaans why not have it installed by the dealership prior to picking up the new car, Lexus dealers are having offers for a while. see link

Dash cams: Should I buy one? - Lexus

8 hours ago, Fatts said:

Rayaans why not have it installed by the dealership prior to picking up the new car, Lexus dealers are having offers for a while. see link

Just seems awfully expensive compared to something like a VIOFO a119 which is a fantastic camera in its own right. 

The fuse box appears to be in a good location too so I can definitely do it myself. After all, Ive hardwired one into all my sons cars so far

8 hours ago, Fatts said:

Why pay such extortionate prices for what is a very easy DIY job and plenty of other cheaper cameras out there?

2 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Why pay such extortionate prices for what is a very easy DIY job and plenty of other cheaper cameras out there?

Herbie I wouldn't call £285 +Vat as extortionate for a professionally installed camera. My main concern carrying out such task as DiY install as compared to  a professional installation is that (a) the dealer will install the system without wires dangling all over the place, (b) you'll get the benefit of warranty with the dealer installed unit and (c) if you have a service plan you will also get 10% off the list price. However if none of the above applies to you then I suppose you may choose to go the DiY route. But from the reviews i have read the Nextbase cams being offered by the Lexus dealers is quite good.

Anyone who doesn't hide the wiring is just a cowboy and doing a bodge of a job but you don't need to go to a main dealer to get hidden wiring - the only bit of mine you see is about 1 to 1.5 inches as it pokes out of the headlining to connect to the camera. The cable route was very easy - along the headlining, down the inside of the 'A pillar', behind the glove box and into the fuse box there. All run and terminated using a piggyback 'Add A Fuse' and the 'A Pillar' trim back on within 20 minutes. Even if you didn't want to DIY like I did, a good auto electrician or car audio installer would charge about £30.

Viofo A119S camera cost me about £90 a couple of years ago and came with a hard-wire kit. A microSDHC card cost about an extra £20.

So, for about £150 you could have a superb camera (with warranty), professionally installed by a good auto electrician (who would undoubtedly warranty his installation), all of which makes me think that the prices Lexus charge are indeed extortionate.

Not only that, the £192 I've saved can buy me return flights from Manchester or Liverpool to Gdansk or Warsaw in Poland for a long weekend break and pay for almost all food and drink while there :thumbup:

I'd rather enjoy my money myself than paying over the odds when I don't need to :laughing:

15 minutes ago, LexusPartsDirect said:

Looking at those links it doesnt state it is compatable with the UX.  Suitable for current generation CT, GS, IS, LC, LS, NX, RC and RX. 

1 hour ago, ALAW said:

Looking at those links it doesnt state it is compatable with the UX.  Suitable for current generation CT, GS, IS, LC, LS, NX, RC and RX. 

A dashcam is a dashcam - there's nothing it has to be compatable with.

All it needs is a 12V supply and that's it. You can install it in any car from an Abadal to a Zotye. There is nothing Lexus-specific about it or any other dashcam on the market.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links