Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tried and tested ATF brands

amazighman

I'd stick to Toyota Type IV.

As we know, Toy/Lex don't make things like brakes, wipers, batteries and suchlike so I have no qualms about buying aftermarket parts from local motor factors or such places.

However, auto transmission fluid is chemically very complex and contains all sorts of things to do all sorts of jobs, amongst them being friction modifiers and lubricants. Inside the transmission are various rubber seals and things and the fluid and seals have been designed to be compatable with each other.

If an aftermarket equivalent ATF has just one chemical or just one aspect of it that's slightly different it may wreck the transmission, which would be a very expensive mistake.

IMHO, it's just not worth trying to save a few quid on this, plus it's not that expensive anyway. I think I got 10L for about £70 from my local Toyota main dealer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Herbie said:

I'd stick to Toyota Type IV.

As we know, Toy/Lex don't make things like brakes, wipers, batteries and suchlike so I have no qualms about buying aftermarket parts from local motor factors or such places.

However, auto transmission fluid is chemically very complex and contains all sorts of things to do all sorts of jobs, amongst them being friction modifiers and lubricants. Inside the transmission are various rubber seals and things and the fluid and seals have been designed to be compatable with each other.

If an aftermarket equivalent ATF has just one chemical or just one aspect of it that's slightly different it may wreck the transmission, which would be a very expensive mistake.

IMHO, it's just not worth trying to save a few quid on this, plus it's not that expensive anyway. I think I got 10L for about £70 from my local Toyota main dealer.

Lexus quoted 51 quid for 5L dont know if it can be bought cheaper anywhere?.... remember due to GBP to USD collapse  prices of parts have gone higher

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, amazighman said:

Lexus quoted 51 quid for 5L dont know if it can be bought cheaper anywhere?.... remember due to GBP to USD collapse  prices of parts have gone higher

True, but try Toyota dealers rather than Lexus - that's where I got mine from.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 2:17 PM, amazighman said:

thats about as cheap as it gets ,,, maybe a couple of pounds cheaper but not enough to warrant hunting.

I notice that the OP has an LS400 that has the normal torque converter type transmission. While I agree that I see no reason to use other non Toyota fluids in his transmission it is perhaps for those of us that have hybrids more important to stay with OEM fluid. This is not because of any special requirement lubrication wise, but because of the very real need for the lubricant to have good electrical insulation properties as the oil is used to directly cool the winding's of the HV electric motor/generators.

John. 

When I asked my local Toyota dealer for type 4 over the phone they said they'd never sold it. I told them i'd already bought some previously, so i took up my old container and they said that they did have that, but no type 4. I actually had to explain what IV meant.

Pete

49 minutes ago, plastic orange said:

I actually had to explain what IV meant.

Friends Romans Countrymen, Latin scholars too, wherefore art thou ??

Malc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Its an old thread.

I've had Mannol 3309 in the Car for at least 15k miles – two plus years.

In the UK never experienced any problem but I do have a problem which may have nothing to do with the fluid, and that is overtaking at speed under load on a gradient which sometimes gives me a jolt. Also using kickdown, there is a jolt. Yet to determine if this is just normal dropping down a gear or a worn gearbox support, or a solenoid issue or the fluid.  Car has done 140k miles and I bought at 113k.  Don't recall if the problem existed before the Trannie Filter was changed and Mannol added. I think it probably did. Its those Hills in France that it doesn't like, too much.

Gearbox support bracket to be changed shortly but for normal driving without a ton of clothes, bedding, tools and Wine in the back, absolutely no problems.  So, you pays yur money and take yur chances. Would add that it was only a partial change of fluid not a complete replacement. May also get a bit more of the blended stuff replaced but its a undershield off thing,  and not something I care to do at this time of the year outside my house.

• 4 months later...

I've just bought a 'vacuum sucker machine' to suck as much out of the 2002 LS430 as I can, via the dipstick, and replace it with the same volume that comes out. It is true that Toyota oil in the UK is a rip off but the gearbox costs £4,000ish if is goes wrong!

Lexus direct do 5 litres for £51.68p. Crazy price as Dexron 111 is about £22, but I would never not use Toyota or (Honda oil) for their gearboxes they seem so very specific.

https://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-gs/lexus-gs-phase-i-1993-1997/lexus-gs-engine-service-kits/lexus-5-litre-type-iv-automatic-transmission-fluid/