Maxz

Tracking and tyre wear IS300h

As you can tell, have worked through a number of issues since purchasing my IS in May, hence the glut of posts. More advice this time. If you buy a used IS check the MOT history online for any fails in relation to tyres and/or you spot uneven wear, paying special attention to the inner tyre rim/edge, especially on the rears. IS by design have slight -ve camber and casters are not adjustable. This makes keeping tracking aligned all the more important so you don't chew through tyres at an excessive rate. In my case I intended to have the tracking checked anyway, as the dealer themselves conducted the tyre fail MOT, replaced the tyres but had not fixed the tracking. Per the Hunter laser alignment results posted, tracking was well out and 3 wheels had to be adjusted (cost £50 or up to around £70 for all four wheels). I'm now happy the current tyres are less likely to meet the same fate and will have the tracking checked at least annually. Handling at high speed also improved post adjustment.

IMG_4784.PNG

IMG_4785.PNG

Unless you notice odd tyre wear or have hit something why would you routinely check alignment?

I've NEVER had tracking checked on any car I've owned in 20 years of driving. Nor have I ever seen abnormal uneven tyre wear, our current IS is still on orignal factory tyres at 27k, you should get 30k+ per set on a IS300H.

it doesn't take much to knock the geometery out

speed bumps and pot holes are the favourite for doing this

i have my car checked using the hunter system

i know its not at everyones favourite place

but kwikfit will check and adjust all four wheels 8 times

over a 2 year period for a one off payment of £130

if lexus checked your geometry twice it would cost more than the £130

2 hours ago, ganzoom said:

Unless you notice odd tyre wear or have hit something why would you routinely check alignment?

I've NEVER had tracking checked on any car I've owned in 20 years of driving. Nor have I ever seen abnormal uneven tyre wear, our current IS is still on orignal factory tyres at 27k, you should get 30k+ per set on a IS300H.

Hi ganzoom,

Sounds like you may have owned your IS from new and you are are good careful driver. My advice is more for those buying a used vehicle, that may not have been so well looked after. In my example, that MOT fail for dangerous tyre fails is at 15k miles on a 15 plate car. If a previous owner has abused the vehicle or neglected tracking and/or tyres, from my experience it was worthwhile checking and rectifying the mis-alignment. From my experience the dealer did not check or rectify this prior to resale, so can be a worthwhile check.

• Like 2

I thought alignment/tracking was done routinely at annual service? Certainly was on my RC.