Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can anyone advise what my problem could be?

thar

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that when I drive over an uneven road surface, I feel a vibration through the steering wheel and the car rattles? I don't notice this when going over speed bumps for example though.

I had the car in for a service with Lexus a couple of weeks ago, they did the visual inspection and said the suspension was fine, but recommended I have all 4 wheels aligned, which I agreed to.

I can't be sure when the problem started, in relation to the service, but it seems to be getting worse.

If I turn the steering wheel very slightly left to right when stationary, I hear a noise, I'm not sure if this is normal. Can anyone advise what it could be? Shock absorbers?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It sounds like some component isn't doing its job of damping which may point to a bush, that's assuming the other steering/suspension joints are ok, although if Lexus looked they should have spotted something.  

I've read about the heat shield, I don't think it's that as it's definitely coming through the steering wheel/column. 

Your issue sounds similar Brian. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the repair cost?

30 minutes ago, Stompe said:

Possibility? 

That could just be it Stompe! A mechanic friend of mine has offered to take a look. I'll show him this post. I'll post back when I know more. Thanks guys.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thar said:

I've read about the heat shield, I don't think it's that as it's definitely coming through the steering wheel/column. 

Your issue sounds similar Brian. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the repair cost?

Really sorry Thar, I can't tell you the cost because it was done under warranty.

Brian

I Had this issue and Lexus fixed under my warranty however it was a £500 job.. there is a weakness in the metal used in that U joint or something like that. Mine was knocking over rough roads and on full lock.. sounds like the same thing to me. Hope that helps. Mine had done work done at  aprox 130K when it happened and its on 158K now.

Well my mechanic friend asked around, and I told him about the weak bolt and the steering knock, which he'd heard of. Thankfully, that's what it was and all it took was for him to tighten up the bolt, a two minute job. If it happens again, I'll get him to replace the bolt.

I would imagine if I'd have taken it to Lexus it would have been a very different story. .

Thanks to Stompe for the link and everyone for your contributions.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links