Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jacking points for Trolley Jack

The jacking points on the IS seems to be the side areas where there is like a thin metal ridge with like U shape slots for place factory supplied lifting jack on. I want to use a trolley jack and my trolley jacks head looks something like the pic below:

spacer.png

If I try and place this on the side ridge where the factory points for the standard jack is, it will just bend that entire metal on the car. Does anyone know a safe place to place this for lifting the car? 

James very well observed. Many use the pinch weld for trolley jack, that is wrong. Some say 'i don't care if pinch weld bends' ... they will care if the car falls... very dangerous and wrong.

Pinch welds are only for use with factory jack.

There are designated points for trolley jack. Raising rear is via differential box. Front has spot as well. I posted in a forum with pictures here.

If you still want to use the regular jacking points and a trolley jack I can recommend something like this. Bought a pair ages ago to use under the Saabs. Remember that they add a couple of inches to the height of the trolley though. In case it's a squeeze getting it under the car.

I have those as well. I would not recommend it. If you have half decent trolley that came with a manual, it will say not to put anything in between.

Also my understanding is that a trolley jack moves forwards and backwards when lifted up or down. So it had to slide under from front or back of the car not side ways. 

PRT68 it is not safe. Ask the trolley jack manufacturer if they have such a puck that works with their product.

Other than that people even use all kind of methods and they work.

But why buy the pucks when you do not need them? There are trolley jack points for the car. Why use points that are not intended for using trolley jack. This is all so wrong on so many levels.

To put car on jack stands, you need to raise the axle i.e. both tyre need to be lifted at the same time then stands placed on each side. 

If you think about points I have raised, it will all start to make sense. Car manufacturers go through a great deal of testing for jack points as simple as it may sound.